CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Yeah, I was thinking about buying Helms Deep for another time too. Because it was in the same shop as the UHA I just bought for like 120€ (retail is 150€ here).

I'm still here on vacation until friday, but I don't know what to do. I would like to save my cash for the current Hobbit theme as I still don't have MEA and the big Dol Guldur set, because they'll probably disappear soon with the new sets coming. What to do, what to do...

Yeah, I was thinking about buying Helms Deep for another time too. Because it was in the same shop as the UHA I just bought for like 120€ (retail is 150€ here).

I'm still here on vacation until friday, but I don't know what to do. I would like to save my cash for the current Hobbit theme as I still don't have MEA and the big Dol Guldur set, because they'll probably disappear soon with the new sets coming. What to do, what to do...

Well personally Id rather own another Helm's Deep (for parts) than Dol Guldur or something, though it depends what you like more :D

You should buy the Helm's Deep. I am sure Dol Guldur will stick around at least a few more months before it starts disappearing. Most of the Middle-Earth waves last at LEAST a year before they start disappearing from shelves, with some sets going much longer. An Unexpected Gathering, for example, is still available over a year and a half after it was initially released. I bet most of the wave two Hobbit sets will start disappearing around December.

Thanks for the input guys!! I think I might pick it up tomorrow then :sweet:

The next question will be: open it up for the extra Uruks and bricks or try to make an investment out of it. A hard nut to crack indeed!

Open it! Use all of it! Love all of it! I was foolish enough to not buy it, and I hate myself for that. So, go get yourself one and love it!

Hello! I have the same problem, leaving vacation soon, and I saw a LOTR attack on weather top. Does anyone know how much that will go for online, thanks!

(should I even sell it or not?)

Edited by Mr Greeble

I imagine the huge inaccuracies in MEA is why the say its INSPIRED by the movie, rather that what its suppsoed to be.

That scene in the movie was kindof a dream scenario for a lego set, it included, Legolas, Tauriel, Bolg, Palace guard, Elf 'rangers, gundabad orcs, all the dwarves and Bilbo.

I made my own version of that, Based on the pictures of the film set. the tree is not quite finished and i left out the lever cause it looked a bit cluttered.

2lw56dt.png

33numtw.png

ra7zpw.png

I just saw this DeskP ... WOW, amazing!!! I would love to get this!

Edited by atreyu2112

A few days ago I saw at Lego Shop sale on 79001 and 79004. There was 50% discount on each. In my opinion this is imposiible to buy Lotr/Hobbit for that cheap price. Everyone will take as much as he can, despite limit is 10 set for each of them. Even if you dont need many sets profit on resale will tempt you to buy more than you need. Maybe I am wrong, because I never bought something on Lego Shop online.

Do you bought anything from hobbit/lotr on last sale on Lego Shop online? If yes, how long it was available?

Guys advice needed :) what do you think about Pirate ambush set? Is it worth to buy it with lets say 30% discount? And how about the set itself? Is it good aand so on? ... Meaning if those 750-800pcs and figs still worth to have or diaplay or not ;)

Guys advice needed :) what do you think about Pirate ambush set? Is it worth to buy it with lets say 30% discount? And how about the set itself? Is it good aand so on? ... Meaning if those 750-800pcs and figs still worth to have or diaplay or not ;)

In my opinion it is not a fun or long build but it does look good once made, given the lack of LOTR sets I guess you have to get what we can.

The ship does look quite nice once finished, and makes an excelent display piece.

The minifigures, particularly the Dead Men of Dunharrow and the Cosair Peter Jackson, are worth it.

It is an excellent build especially at a reduced price. I have kept mine on display both because it looks good but also I have no plans to use the pieces.

I think most AFOLs only resent that it took up a slot that might have given minifigs more in demand. The set itself is very nice.

It's a nice set to have for display... The minifigs are very detailed, and it's cool do have PJ version of Umbar.. It's smaller than the Viking Ship.. I think it's a nice add on your evil armies (and there is a lack of navy support, so it's cool for that)..

It is an excellent build especially at a reduced price. I have kept mine on display both because it looks good but also I have no plans to use the pieces.

I think most AFOLs only resent that it took up a slot that might have given minifigs more in demand. The set itself is very nice.

I would have to agree. In itself, the ship is interesting enough to display and has some nice details. Especially at a reduced price, there are a lot of minifigures. You will unfortunately get the redundant Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas. I would have to agree that the 3 Army of the Dead guys and the lonely pirate are nice minifigs to have.

It is also true that the pirate ship is going to absorb a lot of the blame for the complete omission of Gondor. Discounting the Tower of Orthanc, it took the highest price point in the wave at $99. Then you build the ship and apply a sticker to a tile to make a map of Gondor :facepalm:

I would have to agree. In itself, the ship is interesting enough to display and has some nice details. Especially at a reduced price, there are a lot of minifigures. You will unfortunately get the redundant Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas. I would have to agree that the 3 Army of the Dead guys and the lonely pirate are nice minifigs to have.

It is also true that the pirate ship is going to absorb a lot of the blame for the complete omission of Gondor. Discounting the Tower of Orthanc, it took the highest price point in the wave at $99. Then you build the ship and apply a sticker to a tile to make a map of Gondor :facepalm:

Wow I didn't know that Lego included a sticker for a map of Gondor in this set. Talk about salt wounds.

I don't normally buy sets straight from Lego unless they're in the sale. The Death Star and Orthanc and the exceptions so far as they're cheaper there than elsewhere, and hopefully Ewok Village and Sandcrawler when I save a bit of money.

I have bought at least two of every LotR and Hobbit set so far, so I'm not sure whether to shell out another £170 odd for another Orthanc. Does anyone know if the large sets ever get reduced? I'd definitely like another one, but I never pay the RRP for the extra sets as I can't afford that.

Thanks!

It's worth the price but you could wait until October when you'll get double VIP points. I don't know if TLG will ever reduce the set.

It's worth the price but you could wait until October when you'll get double VIP points. I don't know if TLG will ever reduce the set.

That's what I did. I bought two Orthanc sets and got them both during double VIP. Not a great discount, but better than nothing. I bought the first, got free shipping, and got $10 off a purchase which I used for my second Orthanc purchase a few days later. I also did it during the holiday promo so I got one of the small holiday exclusive sets with each purchase which I turned around and sold for $20 each on eBay. All in all the Orthanc's each came out to cost me around $170.

Hi guys

First post. Im new to the forum and pretty new to the AFOL community in general. Back in August i got into the the whole city modular scene and found myself purchasing the pet shop, grand emporium and rather randomly, the reseach insitute.

Lately, i have rekindled my love with Middle Earth and have found myself lusting after the rather impressive Tower of Orthanc. Its a purchase i intend to make later this month, presuming its still in stock. I have just been tempted into my first LOTR & Hobbit purchases today however, after seeing Black Gate & Council of Elrond on sale. A couple of smaller sets to dip my toe into the theme. The price point of TBG has previously been a slight detterent. A reduction of around £19 on that and the flower cart promotion finally brought me around.

You should totally go all out and get Orthanc, it's an incredible set! Well worth every penny. :)