CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I suppose TLC makes a profit regardless of which set you buy, but I can't help but wonder if TLC has too many licenses competeing with eachother. Star Wars, LOTR, and Super Heroes are three unique staples of geekiness, but with so many sets on the market at a time, surely one line may suffer from the success of another. Not to mention the "Mega-Themes" like Ninjago and Chima. There wasn't nearly this much selection when I was a kid.

The new Trailer for the movie has been rated, wich means it's done and will be released relatively soon (within a week most likely)

Last year 3 of the sets were fully revealeed/presented on the website BEFORE the 26th october, wich means the first set was revealed less than 2 weeks into october (right????) If they do something like this again, we can expect real pictures pretty soon.

How it went last year: http://thebrickblogg...bsite-now-open/

The new trailer is set to be unveiled today at 2pm (Uk time) according to the hobbit official Facebook page!

The new trailer is set to be unveiled today at 2pm (Uk time) according to the hobbit official Facebook page!

Thanks for that, I will stay tuned and lets hope that after this trailer, lego may give us more images of the new hobbit sets :classic:

Thanks for that, I will stay tuned and lets hope that after this trailer, lego may give us more images of the new hobbit sets :classic:

That would be brilliant as they aren't at comic con new York this year. They unveiled the last lot of sets of the hobbit in oct at that convention. they have to give us some new images and ideas on what the sets are soon in an official announcement as they supposedly hit stores in nov!

Here it is

Totally incredible! I expect good things for this movie. Now Lego that there has been more story aspects shown I say we should see some official pictures of the sets.

Edited by ZCerberus
No need to quote a picture or a video.

First of all, the trailer was epic! Smaug's voice is perfect! But the thing that stood out to me the most when it comes to the sets was the quick shot of the army marching near what looks like Dol Guldur. I can only assume that it was an army of Sauron's orcs about to do battle. So perhaps the Dol Guldur Battle will be a bit bigger and have more soldiers than we originally thought.

1:36 i want them like minifigures!!!! perfect for elven army, hope to see them in 79012

Great trailer, and it does not change what we thought the 'rumored' sets will include.

It's time we see some NEW armored orcs, proapbly with a new helmet mold yes?

Great trailer, and it does not change what we thought the 'rumored' sets will include.

It's time we see some NEW armored orcs, proapbly with a new helmet mold yes?

I think there's a chance of that. I bet we'll see Gandalf, Radagast, Sauron and two new orcs, and perhaps some type of good soldiers (perhaps Elves if Thranduil hears word of Gandalf's mission and aids him in the battle at Dol Guldur) in the big Dol Guldur.

As for the Elven Outpost, I think its gonna be a set based on the scene we've seen in both trailers, with Azog, Tauriel and orcs and Elves fighting in the ruins. I'm really excited for this one.

And Elrond Ambush... I have no idea what to expect. Other than Elrond obviously being included, I can't think of what part of the story this is from the Appendicies. Perhaps it will include more orcs. Maybe Elrond, an elf warrior, and two orcs in some trees or something. Such a vague set name.

I think there's a chance of that. I bet we'll see Gandalf, Radagast, Sauron and two new orcs, and perhaps some type of good soldiers (perhaps Elves if Thranduil hears word of Gandalf's mission and aids him in the battle at Dol Guldur) in the big Dol Guldur.

As for the Elven Outpost, I think its gonna be a set based on the scene we've seen in both trailers, with Azog, Tauriel and orcs and Elves fighting in the ruins. I'm really excited for this one.

And Elrond Ambush... I have no idea what to expect. Other than Elrond obviously being included, I can't think of what part of the story this is from the Appendicies. Perhaps it will include more orcs. Maybe Elrond, an elf warrior, and two orcs in some trees or something. Such a vague set name.

I reckon the Dol Guldur one will most likely also include the necromancer who is confirmed to play a large role in the film. His true identity has pretty much been revealed in this trailer. This is how I could imagine the set judging by what has been shown: Gandalf, radagast , The necromancer, a few orcs and as was confirmed by the German cinema magazine possibly Galadriel and saruman. Edit whoops didn't see you already put sauron. Elrond is appearing in this film according to imdb but in what capacity is currently unknown. My guess is he goes with the rest of the council to fight sauron and the small set is an add on to dol Guldur as some one hinted when the names got mixed up.

Edited by legofreak86

I am excited for the new Elrond hair. I think the minifig print is the same but we have some forum members who can do a much better digital comparison than me. There is a leaked minifig posted in both the 2014 Super Heros and 2014 Star Wars threads. There appears to be a prototype yellow head on the fig.

Guys is this the new elrond minifigure (except with him being equipped with the wrong head?, he is the second to last figure on the right. :classic:

:snip:

Edit:

I am excited for the new Elrond hair. I think the minifig print is the same but we have some forum members who can do a much better digital comparison than me. There is a leaked minifig posted in both the 2014 Super Heros and 2014 Star Wars threads. There appears to be a prototype yellow head on the fig.

Oops :laugh:, you beat me to it, l just noticed it aswell

10038135656_72762a91b9_z.jpg

20130930_194451 by bekindsorewind, on Flickr

Edited by Kez

OMG those elves are fantastic, If the minifigis resemble to those on the film will be a huge blast. :classic:

As for the picture is that not just Arwen's hair on Elrond, a prototype at best, it has a yellow head after all. I think we will get a new print for Elrond.

Yeah, that Elrond is just made up of the FOTR Elrond legs and torso, Arwen's hair and a Ninjago head. I don't think it is any indication of the fig we'll see in the new sets.

Hmmm? That trailer might explain the lack of any Smaug themed sets this wave. There looks to be so much going on, that I get the impression that a good chunk of the Smaug story arc might be in the third movie? That leaves me a little more hopeful for a nice dragon set.

Hmm, Could there be any chanse the "Elrond ambush" set could be from AUJ? Where Elrond and his elven riders chase off the orcs+wargs?

Why this could work:

They could include fimbul(orc) wich is still a characther in DOS.

The elven soldier would proapbly be at dol guldur aswell with the same design so it works out.

Elrond propably also wears his same armor if he is at Dol guldur

It would be a set based on a story point from AUJ, but all the figures would fit with DOS aswell, It's a theory atleast, though i know its a few levels deep into various theories on the name of the set and such.

Edited by deskp

Hmmm? That trailer might explain the lack of any Smaug themed sets this wave. There looks to be so much going on, that I get the impression that a good chunk of the Smaug story arc might be in the third movie? That leaves me a little more hopeful for a nice dragon set.

Nope, 2nd movie will arc with Smaug, 3d will arc with the battle of the five armies. Only reason the trailer hasn't shown Smaug completely is because its a trailer. Got to save the good stuff so people pay to go see it

I suppose TLC makes a profit regardless of which set you buy, but I can't help but wonder if TLC has too many licenses competeing with eachother. Star Wars, LOTR, and Super Heroes are three unique staples of geekiness, but with so many sets on the market at a time, surely one line may suffer from the success of another. Not to mention the "Mega-Themes" like Ninjago and Chima. There wasn't nearly this much selection when I was a kid.

I can't speak for everyone, and I don't pretend to know how much of a factor this is for others - how many people are fans of all these themes - but I can say this certainly hits the nail on the head for me. I'd probably have kept up with all the Hobbit / Lord of the Rings sets myself if I weren't also trying to collect Star Wars (and various other themes, both licensed and not, but these two are some of the big ones for me).

I think this is true to a point, its the same for kids and afol there is only so much money to spend on sets. But I am now getting every set from LOTR and Hobbit and I would not have done this with Star Wars or Super Heroes (star wars because there are too many sets and I have missed out on so many, I don't buy any because I know if I did buy one it wound never stop even if Im not a big star wars fan the sets are very cool)(I don't get the bigger Super Heroes set because I don't think they are that good so I just get the smaller sets mainly for the figs). So in my case Lego is definitely getting me to spend more money on Lego than I wound had it not been for LOTR. Helm's deep is what got me back into Lego big time before that it was just a few sets.

This year had a full Lone ranger, next year will have a fairly limited Simpsons theme. That might leave more room for middle earth.

There is obviously the new line based on the lego movie aswell propably replacing the galaxy squad, but overall there seems to be less full themes in 2014 compared to 2013.