CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Perhaps the Eagle's Nest set we heard rumored a while back was a reference to the Carrock, where the Eagles take Thorin and Co. after the Warg attack. If that we're the case (which, while it would be cool, I hope it isn't) would mean that this next summer wave will be an LOTR/The Hobbit mix. But I really doubt that will happen. More likely that these are the only sets that have been leaked so far. There could be more to come. Possibly a larger exclusive set. Who knows. All I can say is that the list we have so far sounds fantastic, and I'm very glad to see more ROTK stuff.

I know that, but it's not in the first movie so I don't think we'll see it at all. Ever.

Eagles nest is from The Hobbit

I know yes. The sets are based off the movies, not the books, so unless we go to the Eagle's nest in Desolation of Smaug, which I doubt, we'll never get that set.

I hope Isengard will be larger set, hopefully the flagship set of the wave. And possibly we'll get a variation of Gandalf the Grey with hair and a more tired face print to make it seem a bi different, along with Saruman, maybe Grima, and some orcs. Heck, maybe a small Warg pen with a brown Warg.

Judging by the set number it seems that The Wizard Battle is the smallest set of this wave. It will propably be the same size as Riddles for the Ring and will include Gandalf with Dumbledore's hair, Saruman, his throne, Palantir and maybe a pillar or two.

Edited by Krulis

This next wave sounds pretty promising. I really want to know how the Black Gate set will be done. Will it be the final battle or when the ringbearer first sees it? I think the first is more likely, especcially if it's a smaller set. I do hope we get some Easternlings though...

How realistic is it for lego to release only 4 sets? I havn't followed lego in many years, but I think they always released like 6 sets in each wave, right?

The second (& final) wave of Kingdoms (last year's) had 4 sets... can't get much more appropriate than that. Doom! Doom I say! :laugh: But the world ends today so it doesn't matter. :hmpf:

The sets are based off the movies, not the books, so unless we go to the Eagle's nest in Desolation of Smaug, which I doubt, we'll never get that set.

Jackson promised talking animals, so I'm still hoping for an extended eagles scene with the extended edition on DVD.

How realistic is it for lego to release only 4 sets? I havn't followed lego in many years, but I think they always released like 6 sets in each wave, right?

They will probably include maybe 2 or 3 The Hobbit sets at the same season,because LEGO Lotr and The Hobbit is making the same team.

It is a bit sad, considering a licensed theme like Cars got 18 sets the first year, and 9 sets the second year.

I really hope that the LOTR theme has proven to be popular...

Edited by just2good

Jackson promised talking animals, so I'm still hoping for an extended eagles scene with the extended edition on DVD.

Smaug, trolls... good enough for me.

I myself was relieved there were no talking animals that originate from the real world, it might've been weird.

Indeed the animals talked, just not in human/elf/dwarf speech. They communicated with Radagast and to a lesser extent Gandalf,it was handled tastefully and effectively.

I hope Wizard Battle Duel or whatever won't be the smallest set akin to Riddles, if so we may not see Orthanc for some time. Of course maybe Council of Elrond will be a nice size and Corsair ship will be the flagship set of the wave.

I agree that the 'talking of animals' was handled correctly. There are still a few more animals that talk in the book, spiders I believe, the birds at erebor, and the eagles. Im glad none of the animals actually spoke the common tongue,

It is a bit sad, considering a licensed theme like Cars got 18 sets the first year, and 9 sets the second year.

I really hope that the LOTR theme has proven to be popular...

Well I guess 18 sets is indeed a little far-fetched but we can hope for a mix between Hobbit and LotR sets like Lordof theBricks said.

I'm not too sure about the Corsairs ship being the biggest set though. I think that these ships could be sold for the same price as Mines of Moria for instance, since they aren't on the scale of the Black Pearl or some other major ships. If it's possible that there will be more sets released in the next wave, maybe there will be one that will be Helmsdeep or Goblin King Battle-ish in price.

I agree that the 'talking of animals' was handled correctly. There are still a few more animals that talk in the book, spiders I believe, the birds at erebor, and the eagles. Im glad none of the animals actually spoke the common tongue,

I think I read somewhere that PJ said the spiders will talk, but only Bilbo can hear them. This may seem strange, but Bilbo uses the Ring throughout this whole scene in he book, and the connection between the spiders and Sauron may give Bilbo the ability to understand their language via the Ring.

I also doubt that this theme has become unpopular. I read something that said after the Hobbit's release on the 14th, the Bag End set has sold out less than 24 hours afterwards.

I also doubt that this theme has become unpopular. I read something that said after the Hobbit's release on the 14th, the Bag End set has sold out less than 24 hours afterwards.

I can definitely see that; it's currently out of stock on both S@H and Amazon. And when I was at Target yesterday, all of their Hobbit and LotR sets were sold out, save for one copy each of "Riddles for the Ring", "Goblin King Battle", and "Shelob Attacks". Hopefully this means that the sets have been hot sellers for Christmas. :wink:

Well I guess 18 sets is indeed a little far-fetched but we can hope for a mix between Hobbit and LotR sets like Lordof theBricks said.

I'm not too sure about the Corsairs ship being the biggest set though. I think that these ships could be sold for the same price as Mines of Moria for instance, since they aren't on the scale of the Black Pearl or some other major ships. If it's possible that there will be more sets released in the next wave, maybe there will be one that will be Helmsdeep or Goblin King Battle-ish in price.

Oh I hope the Corsairs ship is a nice big set. When they attempt to trim them down we get stuff like the Destinys Bounty set, where you have a nice front half and a blob of horrid technic girders at the rear.

Corsair ship seems like a really odd thing to make a set of, in the normal version of the movie its hardly in there at all and it contains no action.

Yea but having the spiders talking to Bilbo like that wouldn't be too bad. Especially if it played in with the ring similar to the way your explaining.

Concerning the corsair ship set, if I remember correctly the 'rumor' said something like 10-12 minifigs. I don't remember the exact amount but if it had that many I would think its the most expensive set and a decent size ship. Although its not in the movie alot there are several scenes characters it can use. The initial seen from the special edition ROTK where aragorn gimili and legolas take the ship with the help of the unread army. They can also include a dock or something similar and play off osgiliath. In osgiliath they could include the two headed orc, plus middle orcs and everyone mentioned above. My thinking is that if they include osgiliath they could include faramir or something also sense he plays a major part in osgiliath scenes in the movie (although he's not in the corsair ship/osgiliath scene.) This is me just rambling out ideas so im sure im stretching the limits of this set immensely but oh well.

As far as cars having 18 released sets its first year, between lotr and the hobbit there's been 13 plus 4 polybags. This is a pretty good start in my opinion and they seem to be selling really quickly around my area. Every store I've been in has had depletes shelves when it comes to this theme ( luckily I ordered mine online). With s spring wave of LOTR and a winter wave of hobbit we could be over 25 sets and 8 bags by this time next year. Theres plenty of ideas, sets, and figures that havent even been touched so im still really hopeful.

I don't know much about LotR, but is there any chance we will see Minas Tirith (or whatever the castle that Denethor II ruled in was called)? I saw Return of the King years ago and found that particular building rather interesting.

I can definitely see that; it's currently out of stock on both S@H and Amazon. And when I was at Target yesterday, all of their Hobbit and LotR sets were sold out, save for one copy each of "Riddles for the Ring", "Goblin King Battle", and "Shelob Attacks". Hopefully this means that the sets have been hot sellers for Christmas. :wink:

It's pretty much the same at my nearby Target, though there were quite a few Riddles for the Ring sets left and hardly any of the others (I think I saw absolutely no cave troll sets).

They can also include a dock or something similar and play off osgiliath. In osgiliath they could include the two headed orc, plus middle orcs and everyone mentioned above. My thinking is that if they include osgiliath they could include faramir or something also sense he plays a major part in osgiliath scenes in the movie (although he's not in the corsair ship/osgiliath scene.)

The Corsair ships did not dock at Osgiliath, they docked outside the Rammas Echor (which is not shown in the movies) at the harbor of Harlond (the harbor of Minas Tirith). Maybe they could do a dock scene with the twoheaded orc and some other orcs, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and some undead warriors, but then it would be strange to include some corsairs because they were not their at that scene. I just hope we get some corsairs.

I don't know much about LotR, but is there any chance we will see Minas Tirith (or whatever the castle that Denethor II ruled in was called)? I saw Return of the King years ago and found that particular building rather interesting.

Yep it is Minas Tirith, I hope they do it justice, and that we don't get a mediocre little castle :cry_sad:

Edited by Moexy

I'd be really disappointed if corsair ship would be flagship, although I could keep that money then xD I never liked the corsairs :( The characters I'd like the most would be Éowyn (she MUST be made into Lego), Faramir (so Boromir can meet his brother, and for Éowyn to marry), Gondor soldiers, Boromir in Gondor armour, Aragorn as King, Witchking of Angmar...

I think we won't get Minas Tirith (as a whole) ever :/ It's just too big to scale down...

Osgiliath would be a dream come true, but I would liever have it with Boromir and Faramir than with Faramir, Frodo &c. I wonder which it would be if it were made.

Should they make a Minas Tirith set it would probably include the White Tree and courtyard and p'raps Gandalf the White (haha white-elf the white... [Gandálfr in Old Norse means White/Light Elf])... and maybe Pippin, Gondor soldier... or so.

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

I know that, but it's not in the first movie so I don't think we'll see it at all. Ever.

There's a scene which blends the book's Carrock and Eagles' Eyrie. In the book the Eyrie is the nest at the eastern edge of the Misty Mountains, the Carrock is an island of rock in the Anduin a little way to the esat of the Eyrie. An eyrie is a name for an eagle's nest, so allowing for the perils of translation, a set called Eagle's Nest could reflect a scene from the film. And eagles are too big a part of both the Hobbit and LOTR not to eventually end up as a set. So for my part, I'm hopeful we'll get one.

Everyone seems to be talking about an Eagle set, but no one seems to be discussing about the Eagle themselves. I have a feeling they'll be molded, like they are in the videogame (I think). As for the 2013 sets, I'm hoping for this.

Wizard Battle - Gandalf the Grey, Saruman, and a section of Orthanc: Saruman's throne, the Palantir with stand, and door with two pillars (I'm still hoping for a larger Orthanc set, though).

Council of Elrond - Elrond (Rivendell), Arwen, Frodo, Old Bilbo, Old Gloin, Boromir, and two structures: the patio where the council occured with the circle of chairs and the table in the middle, another building containing the room where Frodo is healed & the hall with the statue with the pedestal with the broken sword on it, and a bridge between the two structures.

Battle at the Black Gate - Aragorn (Gondor armor), Gandalf the White, Mouth of Sauron, Mordor Orc (2x), Rohirrim, Gondorian Soldier, Armored Troll, Giant Eagle, and three main structures: the actual Gate and the two Towers of the Teeth (I think that's their name).

Pirate Ship Ambush - Aragron, Legolas, Gimli, Corsairs (3x - and one that resembles Peter Jackson), King of the Dead, Oathbreaker (3x), Mordor Orc Captain (one with the skull on his head), and includes a Corsair ship, a dock, and some scenery to represent the Dimholt.

I'm still hoping for Balrog, Treebeard, and Orthanc sets.

Battle at the Black Gate - Aragorn (Gondor armor), Gandalf the White, Mouth of Sauron, Mordor Orc (2x), Rohirrim, Gondorian Soldier, Armored Troll, Giant Eagle, and three main structures: the actual Gate and the two Towers of the Teeth (I think that's their name).

Pirate Ship Ambush - Aragron, Legolas, Gimli, Corsairs (3x - and one that resembles Peter Jackson), King of the Dead, Oathbreaker (3x), Mordor Orc Captain (one with the skull on his head), and includes a Corsair ship, a dock, and some scenery to represent the Dimholt.

I hope you're right but I have a feeling the ship won't be that big, and 11 minifigs is a stretch imo (Helmsdeep had 8). And because of the sets name 'Ambush' I think it will be either corsairs vs oathbreakers or orcs vs oathbreakers, and not all three.

For the black gate set 6 minifigs and a molded eagle and (new) molded troll is a little much as well, although I think a troll will be almost a given since they are at both the battle and to open the gate, making them more important.

I still hope for easterlings but I wouldn't be supprised if they are not released at all.