CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I'd much rather have them give us new characthers than waste molds and prints on old ones.

From what I understand, it isn't too difficult for Lego to do a new print. A new mold, on the other hand, is a rather hefty investment. If we did ever get Frodo and Sam in Orc armor, Lego could easily re-use the helmets and - heaven forbid - actually improve the current orc minifigs.

From what I understand, it isn't too difficult for Lego to do a new print. A new mold, on the other hand, is a rather hefty investment. If we did ever get Frodo and Sam in Orc armor, Lego could easily re-use the helmets and - heaven forbid - actually improve the current orc minifigs.

The problem is I think those helmets looks abit too unique for random orcs. I'd rather have Lego make a new orc helmet in the shape we see lots of the movies mordor orcs wearing.

Also the current orcs doesent need improvement they need replacement! :tongue:

I'd rather see the Orcs upgraded than have a frodo and Sam in Orc armour, the battle was important in that movie, the sneaking around was not as critical as the battle I would've thought from a retail perspective.

The best place for Boromir is Amon Hen. The set could include Boromir, Merry and Pippin, Lurtz in his armour (maybe with new hair, or just Thorin's hair), and a couple Uruks. It could have the Seeing Seat, a few trees, maybe a little catapult function to launch rocks at the Uruks (a play feature based on the fact that the Hobbits threw stones), and maybe a new horn of Gondor, either a new piece or made of smaller pieces.

Anyways, there are plenty of options for future sets that we should get a variety of characters in their different outfits.

I wonder whether TLG would do an Amon Hen set, since its a bit of a downer scene. What would the sales pitch be? "Recreate the scene where Boromir is shot to death and the bad guys win the day, dragging Pippin and Merry off to face their doom in Isengard!"

I wonder whether TLG would do an Amon Hen set, since its a bit of a downer scene. What would the sales pitch be? "Recreate the scene where Boromir is shot to death and the bad guys win the day, dragging Pippin and Merry off to face their doom in Isengard!"

I think an Amon Hen set would still work. The marketing pitch I dunno, but it seems to be an important scene.

I dont want more Boromirs... he is my favorite Character in LOTR so that will make him more expensive :P

I dont want more Boromirs... he is my favorite Character in LOTR so that will make him more expensive :P

Except for the fact that more sets with Boromir minifigures would drive the price down....

Except for the fact that more sets with Boromir minifigures would drive the price down....

Thats exactly what he doesen't want. He would like his favorite charactehr to be worth more.

Thats exactly what he doesen't want. He would like his favorite charactehr to be worth more.

Exactly :P

Last stands have a romantic charm of their own... And this set would be a real good one. Not to mention Lego would not need to do new molds or prints. This set can be done with existing bricks and figures, so it should be cost effective.

And not only would we get another Boromir (my fav fig too) but also Merry and Pippin again. Later iterations may only feature their Gondorian and Rohirrim dresses - I hope :laugh:

It's not like they shy too far from that in other sets. I mean they gave us Haldir in Helms Deep. There was a Jedi Duel scene between Darth Maul and Qui Gon Jin. (And perish the thought that the little tykes figure out who's skeleton that is holding the book in the Mine of Moiria set).

That seems so counter-intuitive to me. :classic:

Lucky for you, I don't think Amon Hen is a very likely set. It would give us absolutely no new charcaters and honestly, Lurtz is not nearly an important enough character to deserve an encore let alone a new print. With a theme that is so broad being covered in likely just three waves, a repackaging of the exact same figures is not a good way to spend a set. Because of this, I would think the only likely place we might yet get him is Moria (again) with the Balrog. It would be cool to get a set with both he a Faramir in Gondor but that reeks of my wishful thinking. I bet even Alcarin wouldn't mind getting another Boromir in Gondor attire. :wink:

Edited by Str0ngbad

Lego is a building toy not just action figures.

No one's disputing that, they're just talking about the most probable scenarios for said action figures to show up in sets.

Really!?!!!! I mean really? Lego as a company is "disrespecting" those countries that for reasons of economics, sane managed business growth, and outright sound fiscal sanity it has not yet expanded to include a direct business presence in, and it views or treats them as " banana republics". Wow! And they treated Canada as a Banana Republic? Uh huh.

I'm sorry but the mixture of shear economic ignorance with childish narcissistic demand in those statements is just staggering. Lego is a business. They move where and how the international logistics and production chain make it viable to do, at the volumes and costs that they need. The Lego brand stores are a small subset of their business which they are expanding cautiously in high volume areas and markets. A business cannot be everywhere at once. They have to grow and expand to reach that over a very long time. That growth is slow, and often requires certain infrastructures both local and in international transport, be in place beforehand. And there has to be an anticipation of a sufficient viable local demand. Not just one kid screaming "iwantitiwantitiwantit! Do not disrespect meh!" Like Cartman from South Park. Lego will eventually expand to places such as were Alarcin lives. It is a matter of natural business growth, not just desire. The same rules, barriers and frustrations apply to all companies when they seek to expand as international consumer products. Coke and Pepsi had the same limitations as Lego. As does Nike and a host of other well known brands. The growth follows conservative rules of ecomonics limited by how much they can afford to grow at a time. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as Lego in Canada. I suggest you go read some of Lego Historians wonderful threads covering said history and Samsonite. If so you may discover that Canada was one of the first countries that Lego rushed to get themselves into. And in doing so boxed themselves into contracts that limited them for decades until they were able to buy them back. Canada was the poster child for what happens if you rush to grow.

Aren't you being a bit harsh here? Anyway, this is why I do not like the concept of "exclusive" sets, as not every country in the world that sells LEGO products has LEGO Brand Retail Stores nor LEGO Shop-At-Home and it would be very unfair if some countries get certain "exclusive" sets and other countries do not get them, especially if the LEGO fans who live in such countries, that don't have LEGO Brand Retail Stores or LEGO Shop-At-Home or neither of them, are completionists of certain LEGO themes. I, for one person, do not believe that there should be such a thing as "have" and "have not" countries in terms of LEGO product availabililty. Also, if LEGO products started showing up regularly in Canada about the same time as the US and LEGO-Shop-At-Home services started at the same time, shouldn't the same thing apply to the presence of LEGO Brand Retail Stores as well?

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

Lego is a building toy not just action figures.

I know. The 'action figure' aspect of the company has become incredibly important though; arguably being the primary selling point of most licensed sets.

Aren't you being a bit harsh here? Anyway, this is why I do not like the concept of "exclusive" sets, as not every country in the world that sells LEGO products has LEGO Brand Retail Stores nor LEGO Shop-At-Home and it would be very unfair if some countries get certain "exclusive" sets and other countries do not get them, especially if the LEGO fans who live in such countries, that don't have LEGO Brand Retail Stores or LEGO Shop-At-Home or neither of them, are completionists of certain LEGO themes. I, for one person, do not believe that there should be such a thing as "have" and "have not" countries in terms of LEGO product availabililty. Also, if LEGO products started showing up regularly in Canada about the same time as the US and LEGO-Shop-At-Home services started at the same time, shouldn't the same thing apply to the presence of LEGO Brand Retail Stores as well?

I really didn't think he was being unnecessarily harsh. The post of yours that he was responding to needed to be answered honestly. To say that LEGO is biased against some people and treats them poorly because of where they live was childish. It's about supply, demand and logistics. It's not LEGO being unfair or biased; it's simply business. I know you don't actually believe sets are more expensive in Canada because LEGO dislikes Canadians but that's the kind of sentiment that was in your post. Now, I understand that you love LEGO as much as the rest of us and I also undestand your frustration at not having access to some things that others of us take for granted. I just think you got a little carried away in that post. :blush:

As far as exclusivity is concerned, you're right about it not being customer friendly but it's an effective means of marketing a store and it helps LEGO make money. And ultimately everything that makes LEGO succesful is a catalyst for more sets and greater quality that we get to enjoy; and maybe... even new LEGO store locations. :wink:

Edited by Str0ngbad

Though I don't know about licensing terms, I can see a very encouraging action by TLG. They have introduced a battle pack in the first wave of a licensed set, The Lone Ranger and without mincing words called it a Cavalry Builder Set. I hope this carries forward into future Orc, Gondor and Rohan battle packs.

I bet even Alcarin wouldn't mind getting another Boromir in Gondor attire.

No I would not, but thats different printing :P I was disappointed by the lack of Horn of Gondor print on his belt though...

Though I don't know about licensing terms, I can see a very encouraging action by TLG. They have introduced a battle pack in the first wave of a licensed set, The Lone Ranger and without mincing words called it a Cavalry Builder Set. I hope this carries forward into future Orc, Gondor and Rohan battle packs.

We should all keep dreaming :P

The problem is I think those helmets looks abit too unique for random orcs. I'd rather have Lego make a new orc helmet in the shape we see lots of the movies mordor orcs wearing.

I agree. Unfortunately, Orcs are a diverse lot and there are many different helmet types seen in the films. Maybe it's just me, but I've never seen any Orcs actually wearing the helmets Frodo and Sam have.

I'm guessing you're referring to the helmet that looks like a dome with two eye slits. That would work well, it's plain and not too intricate. That's this one.

It actually looks a bit like the Uruk-hai helmet minus the crest, so maybe that's why we're getting that instead in the Black Gate set.

Another which would work well is the spiked Moria Orc helmet, because even though it's a very specific design, we see it in large numbers. The chance to use it has passed, but who knows...

I'm guessing you're referring to the helmet that looks like a dome with two eye slits. That would work well, it's plain and not too intricate. That's this one.

It actually looks a bit like the Uruk-hai helmet minus the crest, so maybe that's why we're getting that instead in the Black Gate set.

I was thinking more like this general shape.

Another which would work well is the spiked Moria Orc helmet, because even though it's a very specific design, we see it in large numbers. The chance to use it has passed, but who knows...

Yes, this I would have loved to see. I thought it was a HUGE missed opportunity on Lego's part not to include some kind of armor or helmet with the Moria orcs.

Lego obviously monitor these discussions, I would like to think that some of the efforts pay off and they do take some suggestions. The Lone Ranger Cavalry builder set and the Castle Ambush set might just be a prelude to a 2nd Hobbit wave figure heavy set. Even having some of the Dwarf company against an enemy at a price point of 12-15 dollars (US) - four figures and some weapons.

1. a warg attack addition with two Dwarf, two Orcs and a Warg

2. two orcs and a warg agaisnt two elves

3. two dwarfs and two goblins to add to the Goblin King set

4. Two Dwarfs and a Mountain troll (maybe even a dwarf pony)

We should have at least one more wave of LoTR after the December release and one more Hobbit wave.

To say that LEGO is biased against some people and treats them poorly because of where they live was childish. It's about supply, demand and logistics. It's not LEGO being unfair or biased; it's simply business. I know you don't actually believe sets are more expensive in Canada because LEGO dislikes Canadians but that's the kind of sentiment that was in your post. Now, I understand that you love LEGO as much as the rest of us and I also undestand your frustration at not having access to some things that others of us take for granted. I just think you got a little carried away in that post. :blush:

This is how I feel when people bring up Lego prices in the U.S. vs other countries. It's as if they think Lego is bias and favoring the U.S. with lower prices, but that simply not the case at all. It's business. I understand it can be frustrating seeing the USD worth less than your own countries currency yet seeing Lego prices lower in the U.S., but there IS a reason Lego is cheaper here. Lego is a business, they charge what the market will bear and want to make the maximum amount of money they can. I am sure they would love to charge double per set if they could in the U.S. They aren't giving the U.S. lower prices just because they are bias though. They do it because the U.S. consumes a TON of product each year and there is a lot of competition. If Lego charged the same prices in the U.S. as in say Australia, they would tank over night and lose a huge portion of sales since people would simply buy another cheaper building toy or buy another toy type altogether.

Yes, this I would have loved to see. I thought it was a HUGE missed opportunity on Lego's part not to include some kind of armor or helmet with the Moria orcs.

I would too, but I agree with Delta that it's probably to late now. The only other set we probably would even see Moria Orcs in is a Balrog set or a battle pack, but who knows if the ladder will be made or the Balrog would even include a Moria Orc (and I seriously doubt they would make a new helm mold for one set when it's not even a main character). I tried to look on BL for something similar but it's too unique for anything to really come close... the best I could find was this, which still looks pretty far off:

85942.jpg?0

I still think just using this helm in dark gray would work for a lot of the Mordor Orc soldiers though:

48493.jpg

It looks close enough to these helms:

Crew_of_Guritz.png

^ That helmet probably would look pretty good on a Mordor orc. Bricklink lists a "speckled silver and black" version as well.

If anyone has the aforementioned helmet, would you mind snapping a photo of what it looks like on a Mordor orc?