CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Orthanc is EPIC. I would also strongly suggest Helms Deep and An Unexpected Gathering (Bag End) if you can find them.

Yes, those three are the best actual builds. I bought every LotR set, but most of them are scrapped for MOCs or just better storage. I will never scrap Helms Deep or Bag End. I still haven't built the Orthanc, but once I do, I am never taking it apart.

Its funny you should mention those sets. They are the other two that really stood out to me. They are out of stock in the online store in the UK. I will have to have a look around!

Shouldn't this topic be closed already??

Not if people are still talking about the sets

I just got Orthanc, and I have a question: does anyone know of a good turntable base for it or have a link to a LEGO-made turntable MOC for it(this might be dangerous)? I'd like to be able to see both sides. Seems a bit big to constantly be turning round otherwise.

I just got Orthanc, and I have a question: does anyone know of a good turntable base for it or have a link to a LEGO-made turntable MOC for it(this might be dangerous)? I'd like to be able to see both sides. Seems a bit big to constantly be turning round otherwise.

The Snudda lazy Susan from Ikea makes a great base. I'm thinking about picking one up to display my tower, maybe painting it a matte black, too.

Edited by owlbearsforall

The Snudda lazy Susan from Ikea makes a great base. I'm thinking about picking one up to display my tower, maybe pairing it a matte black, too.

Thanks for the tip, looks like a winner!

How long do you all think it will be before "Dol Guldur Amush" and "Dol Guldur Battle" are discontinued?

The former set has already been discounted on LEGO Shop at Home, which seems like a warning sign, and I missed Amazon's sale on the latter. There's a reason I saved these sets for the end; as well designed as they may be, they are a little boring after other, more iconic sets like "Mines of Moria" and "Battle of Helm's Deep." Then again, all I really want are Beorn and Radagast for an epic Eagle rescue for a BOTFA setup, so maybe I should just Bricklink 'em... Still, 16 USD seems too good to pass up for the "Ambush." Thoughts? :classic::blush:

Walmart clearanced the Ambush set last Fall. I expect it's about done. Battle has some life probably but I wouldn't speculate how much now that the final Hobbit movie has been released. I got nervous when Amazon ran out of stock of Battle around Christmas and only sporadically restocked, so shopped around a bit and got a good deal from TRU on Rakuten on it.

Honestly I don't know how much life even the current wave has, it wasn't carried at any Walmart I've seen and had only a token presence at Target.

^ Thanks for the answer, or at least suggestion. :classic: Luckily I got all the current wave already, and I'll probably pick up the "Ambush" set this week at the LEGO Store, if they match the online price (assuming that they even have it in stock).

Got an email from Lego saying they oversold the black gate! Bit of a bugger as i thought id been quick to order it at the 41 pounds sale price.

Obviously not quick enough!i remain tempted to get it full price ebay/bricklink.

Im brand new to lotr hobbit. Have Orthanc and Unexpected Gathering on order (remains to be seen if order will be fufilled). Im now pondering what other sets to get. Attack on weathertop always appealed for some reason and i love the minifigures in Dol Guldur.

Hello! Long time lurker... first time poster (I think).

I'm usually very pessimistic and for a long time figured that the third Hobbit wave would be the last in the LoTR and Hobbit lines (due to obvious poor sales). However I was checking out "The Lonely Mountain" set and noticed something strange. I don't remember it being discussed before... so I thought I'd bring it up.

http://imgur.com/jNJmVgG

That little "hole" brick on the side (no idea what it's called) hints that there might be another Erebor set to connect to "The Lonely Mountain" set.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lego ended the Hobbit line with a UCS Erebor or perhaps even when the final extended edition comes out.

Edited by TheTinyLittleGnome

Hello! Long time lurker... first time poster (I think).

I'm usually very pessimistic and for a long time figured that the third Hobbit wave would be the last in the LoTR and Hobbit lines (due to obvious poor sales). However I was checking out "The Lonely Mountain" set and noticed something strange. I don't remember it being discussed before... so I thought I'd bring it up.

http://imgur.com/jNJmVgG

That little "hole" brick on the side (no idea what it's called) hints that there might be another Erebor set to connect to "The Lonely Mountain" set.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lego ended the Hobbit line with a UCS Erebor or perhaps even when the final extended edition comes out.

First of all: Welcome to eurobricks :classic:

I noticed the connector brick in the Erebor set too but I think they just included it so that you can connect the the two sections from the set (the mine and the throne) on the side you prefer.

Honestly I think they would have released a second Erebor set with the thrid wave, if they really planned one.

But I wouldn't mind getting another Erebor set to expand the dwarven kingdom :sweet:

Edited by Balbo

I've been hinting to my husband that a Lonely Mountain set would be the perfect thing to give his amazing wife for her birthday. If they were actually to release more of it, I would jump on it in a second.

Though, I would still really love a Balrog to join in the Mines of Moria set...

I have recently designed my own Balrog using LDD, haven't built it in real bricks yet cos I need the wings of the minecraft Ender dragon and 4 of the new chima trans fire wings for his mane... It's compleatly different to the videogame version.

I'll take some screenshots and put them on here soon, I would like to know what you guys think of it :)

Edited by Bugbot2008

Moc pages is down atm so I'll try to post a pic directly.

It's just over 300 pieces, smaller and simpler than others that exist. I was aiming for something in the range of metalbeard's size. There is a light-brick in the back, I only wish I could have smaller, scarier eyes. post-123117-0-78104500-1423175427_thumb.jpg

Edit: ok mocpages is running now, I have more pics available here: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/406112

Edited by Bugbot2008