CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Any idea how long Barrel Escape will be around? I'm hoping to get it for my birthday in a few weeks, so I know it won't be gone by then, but I'm been planning on buying it for a year and a half, so I'll never forgive myself if I miss out on it...

On a side note, in the USA, the Chicago LEGO Store has gotten rid of all their Unexpected Journey sets (including the "Trilogy Preview" sets), but the Woodfield (Schaumburg) store nearby in Illinois still has them in mass quantities. I wonder why that is?

Any idea how long Barrel Escape will be around? I'm hoping to get it for my birthday in a few weeks, so I know it won't be gone by then, but I'm been planning on buying it for a year and a half, so I'll never forgive myself if I miss out on it...

On a side note, in the USA, the Chicago LEGO Store has gotten rid of all their Unexpected Journey sets (including the "Trilogy Preview" sets), but the Woodfield (Schaumburg) store nearby in Illinois still has them in mass quantities. I wonder why that is?

Since they are part of DoS, I'd say they'd stop when There and Back Again sets start to release. Don't quote me on that though, as I may be wrong, you could try asking LEGO Customer Service, I asked them about the Kingdom's chess set and they got back to me with good information. :P

Since they are part of DoS, I'd say they'd stop when There and Back Again sets start to release. Don't quote me on that though, as I may be wrong, you could try asking LEGO Customer Service, I asked them about the Kingdom's chess set and they got back to me with good information. :P

Thanks, that's good advice. I imagine that the two "Preview" sets were produced in greater quantity so that they could last until kids recognized the scenes from the movie. :) That would make sense. But if I get desperate, I will contact Customer Service.

Thanks, that's good advice. I imagine that the two "Preview" sets were produced in greater quantity so that they could last until kids recognized the scenes from the movie. :) That would make sense. But if I get desperate, I will contact Customer Service.

Happy to help! :)

Where do you get the LEGO LOTR Uruk-Hai Army for a decent price nowadays? It's still on amazon for about 50€ and I've thought about just buying the figs on Bricklink, as that is the main reason for me to buy UHA, but I'm not sure if it's more profitable.

Average Bricklink prices: Eomer (9€), Rohan Soldier (11,6€) Armored Uruk-Hai (6,3€) x 2, Uruk-Hai with helmet (5,2€), Uruk-Hai (4,6€), horse (2,6€). The total of all figures is 46,5 €.

I suppose it's best to order the whole set then, no? Even though it is a lot more expensive than back in 2012...

How do you guys build a Rohan-Uruk army nowadays?

Where do you get the LEGO LOTR Uruk-Hai Army for a decent price nowadays? It's still on amazon for about 50€ and I've thought about just buying the figs on Bricklink, as that is the main reason for me to buy UHA, but I'm not sure if it's more profitable.

Average Bricklink prices: Eomer (9€), Rohan Soldier (11,6€) Armored Uruk-Hai (6,3€) x 2, Uruk-Hai with helmet (5,2€), Uruk-Hai (4,6€), horse (2,6€). The total of all figures is 46,5 €.

I suppose it's best to order the whole set then, no? Even though it is a lot more expensive than back in 2012...

How do you guys build a Rohan-Uruk army nowadays?

you do it slow.... I had a great seller that i totally emptied, he had armored uruhs for 3,25€ a piece, bought 10x each time (3x) then that was it......

Rohan soldiers are the problem really. 11€ is just over the top.....

I'm just curious, does anyone knew when the Tower of Orthanc will be retired? I fear it will be phased out when the BOFA sets are released, and I'd really like to get my hands on one.

It will be pulled when the license expires. So it will be around as long as the Hobbit sets are. Your bigger concern should be when they sell out. I doubt LEGO will produce another batch.

^That's a good point. They most likely wouldn't do another production run. I can't imagine it is selling so well it is flying off of the shelves...It is a neat build however.

It came out in 2013? So with the average lifespan of 2 years for exclusives, I'd guesstimate next summer being the last we see of it or until they run out.

Thanks guys. I will try and pick one up soon. I haven't been to a LEGO store in a while, hopefully they still have them in stock (I noticed some exclusives get pushed to online only to save shelf space).

Hey guys, i have a question as well. I have every LOTR set (well one just on the way but..) and most of the Hobbit sets (excluding polybags). I am missing the two big ones: The Goblin King Battle and Dol Guldur Battle. What is your perspective on these two? I am not into MOCs so it would be purely for display purposes. Should i buy them or not, what do you think?

Goblin King is worthless for display in my opinion, just a lot of little structures put together.

I do like all the figures in the set. The Goblin King mold is very well done as are the Goblin figures (al lot of different printing on the torso and heads). If you are not into Bricklinking then you will have to buy this set to complete your company of dwarves.

I don't have the DGB set yet, so I can't comment, but it seems like it's more or less just a big grey wall with cool minifigures.

you do it slow....

What do you mean by slow exactly?

I'm new to Bricklink and I'm figuring out how much money to spend at a time.

I mean, is there sort of a 'Golden Rule' where you don't buy a figure if the pricing is above average, or that you just add two or four Uruks to every usual (i.e. just bricks for example) Bricklink order instead of 20 figures at a time?

I'm struggling with the fact that I'm paying 20€ for just 4 figures and I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to try to 'even it out' by also buying cheap bricks (that I need) to get the brick/euro ratio up or not.

How do you guys build LOTR armies via Bricklink? Do you have 'Golden Rules' or things to look out for?

Edited by Trunkbass

By slow i meant, buy when you have cash.....

LOTR is hard to army build, even uruks now...... I have 100+ some change and i got them for 4.20€ per fig at start (with sword and shield) now they're not going below 6.00€ for all of that.......

You need a plan WHAT you want to army build in LOTR, I made a display of Helm's Deep assaulted by 100+ uruks and Eomer ''army'' of 14 Rohan soldiers with Gandalf coming to rescue Theoden and company...... that display alone is worth around 800€ i paid around 600€ for it....... so go do some maths now.... and i bought Rohan soldiers when they were around 4.50€ per fig now you cant get them below 10.00€

Look, A lot of people bash on the Dol Guldor Battle set, but I think it's VERY cool for display. When you get all 3 sets together (this, DGA & the new WKB) it will make for quite a nice diorama. The black trees from Mirkwood Spiders set even look great as add-ons with it.

Dol Goldur Battle, Ambush & Witch King Battle are a MUST in my opinion.

The Goblin Kings set ... the only reason I want it would be for the 3 dwarf minifigures. It's a cool set but not one I would leave out for display. Nor is it one of the scenes I really care for in the book or film.

As far as when to get sets ... if you want DOS sets, you'd better do it between now and October!!! Once the BotFA sets hit, I can assure you they will be GONE (DGA, DGB, MEA & Lake Town). As for LotR wave 2 sets, you'd better do it between now and Christmas, because I don't think they will be around after then. I have a feeling we will see some amazing black Friday sales & other holiday incentives to move the sets.

The Goblin King Throne piece is not bad for display. All the rest, the unattached bridges and rocks is pretty worthless for any sort of display and is just MOC fodder. Dul Guldor can make a decent backdrop for a display, but is basically yet another grey wall with minifigs. Some really great minifigs.

The Goblin King Throne piece is not bad for display. All the rest, the unattached bridges and rocks is pretty worthless for any sort of display and is just MOC fodder.

Agreed, Goblin King's throne is the only set piece aside from Bag End that I display alongside my minifigs. The rest are all in baggies and bound to be sold eventually once I sort everything out ;)

I'll likely BL figures for the remaining sets

Edited by bachamn

I just got very lucky on vacation!!! Found an UHA for retail price in a local shop, which is a very good deal nowadays.

I'm so happy with it :laugh: this is sadly just my third UHA set, but better three than two :grin:

XTKIBU.jpg

Edited by Trunkbass

wish I had the foresight to pick up multiples of these, I remember they were flooding the shelves around here when they first came out

wish I had the foresight to pick up multiples of these, I remember they were flooding the shelves around here when they first came out

I know, I didn't even pick one up.

I only got three too and I wish I had purchased more. I didn't realize the uruks would go for so much by themselves. Otherwise I would buy them individually. But $5 or more for an armored version seems a tad ridiculous for my tastes.

I opened three Uruk Hai armies but bought a fourth on clearance. It and a second Helm's Deep (also bought on clearance) are in a closet. I am not sure if I want to trade them for a modular set, sell them, or open them for extra minifigs. Theoden is my favorite character in Middle Earth.

Theoden is my favorite character in Middle Earth.

And he's arguably the most beautiful LEGO rendition of the entire Middle-earth line! The printed armour and helmet are superb!

And he's arguably the most beautiful LEGO rendition of the entire Middle-earth line! The printed armour and helmet are superb!

I would easily agree with you there. Theoden might be the most beautifully designed minifig of all time! He falls in the same category with the new Boba Fett and Darth Malgus in my book.