CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I have Council of Elrond on display along with Wizard battle and Dol Guldur a Ambush. I cannibalized Mines of moria long ago. Weathertop I have in storage.

What about black gate or lake town chase?

Good point Deathleech. I'm thinking about buying a bag end without figs but is that sacrilege?

Bag end is great yes! Lake-town is great too! :wink:

bag end is a great set, I would say best set under £80 that I have, its a must have

Not when I checked...?

It was yesterday from a third party on Amazon. They probably sold out or raised the price since that is a steal nowadays.

It was yesterday from a third party on Amazon. They probably sold out or raised the price since that is a steal nowadays.

Ah, that makes sense. To bad I missed it.

New to the forum, and without going through all 296 pages, is there an instruction manual to get the two gate sets to look like this? Store close to me has the set for clearance and wanted to make the set look a proper gate like this

Can someone post the picture of the combined black gate sets please?

New to the forum, and without going through all 296 pages, is there an instruction manual to get the two gate sets to look like this? Store close to me has the set for clearance and wanted to make the set look a proper gate like this

For that you need to go to the LOTR forum bud

You can also look on the Lego website, they have a page for "Intructions"

there you can download the intructions

Edited by kevkipo

Someone posted this picture earlier in the thread:

h_79007_detail_6_800.jpg

As far as I can tell you just build both gates according to the instructions and just connect them on the correct sides.

^ I agree, it really does look stupid like that, any ten-year-old with his head in a paper sack could build a better gate than that. :thumbdown:

Has anyone else noticed that hardly any stores are stocking the second Hobbit wave sets in their area? Of the three Wal-marts and four Targets I have visited recently, only one of each had ANY Hobbit sets and neither had the full range of four. What's the deal? Are stores just not ordering as much stock due to (poor) wave two LotR sales? It's been almost three months since they were first released, shouldn't we be seeing them more in stores by now...?

Edited by Deathleech

Has anyone else noticed that hardly any stores are stocking the second Hobbit wave sets in their area? Of the three Wal-marts and four Targets I have visited recently, only one of each had ANY Hobbit sets and neither had the full range of four. What's the deal? Are stores just not ordering as much stock due to (poor) wave two LotR sales? It's been almost three months since the first wave hit, shouldn't we be seeing them more in stores by now...?

Same here in Florida. The one I've seen the most is MEA. It seems like DGA is a huge seller, though. I've seen that one restocked a few times at Targer. But LTC only has like three copies, and it's been missing for a few months. And, DGB is nonexistent. I've only seen it at one B&N, TRU, and once at Walmart with the clearance sticker. However, that one time I saw it at Walmart was this weeked, and they had plenty of copies of MEA and DGA with clearance tags, but not marked down. A little concerning.

Ya, even when I DO see the second Hobbit wave sets in stores, I never see Dol Guldur Battle. The only brick and mortar store I have seen them all in is Toys R Us.

I've seen much the same thing. Target initially had all the sets after the first of the year. But since only a smattering with usually MEA present. Something else I've noticed at target the second wave is no longer in the same spot as TLoR and wave 1 were always found. They are now sitting next to, sometimes mixed with the castle sets. It's the section where the least desirable sets seem to exist. Where the Lone Ranger went to die, where sponge bob sat for a very long time and other clearances items sit. They used to sit next to the superheroes sets and now seem to have been supplanted by chima and ninjago. Maybe it means nothing but they no longer seem to have an established place of their own.

I've had the same problem in my area. I'm in Buffalo, NY. And I can't find Lake Town Chase or Dol Guldur Battle anywhere. Not even at TRU. They don't even have a spot or tag on the shelves for them. It's quite disappointing. Forget Target or Walmart they don't have any of them.

What part of Florida are you in just2good? I'm in pcb and it's the same here. I got excited when I saw clearance stickers but the were marked down a whopping 99 cents :(

I think The Hobbit merchandise across the board is just failing and it's creating a domino effect. The Bridge Direct's action figure line has tanked because of poor figure choices, Weta's statue line is overpriced and is warming shelves in warehouses at online stores, and generally there is nothing else of note other than Lego. The merchandise for The Hobbit is a hard sell given the extensive character range and mis-management of dividing the movies from two to three. Had they been three all along who knows how different the spectrum would look right now.

Back to the main topic, only TRU really has these in stock at mark-up. Target, Walmart, and Fred Meyers have limited stock at best.

Ya, I said it before but it's just nuts that a fantasy movie can have almost 1 billion dollars in revenue and then have almost no merchandise to go alongside it. Someone is really dropping the ball there. I can't imagine no one is interested in any of the merchandise with those kinds of numbers.

Ya, I said it before but it's just nuts that a fantasy movie can have almost 1 billion dollars in revenue and then have almost no merchandise to go alongside it. Someone is really dropping the ball there. I can't imagine no one is interested in any of the merchandise with those kinds of numbers.

In this case you have to look at Warner bros. since they hold the license. They are ultimately responsible for the Hobbit going from two to three movies. And while that may be great for box office numbers its not really panning out to merchandise. The material has been stretched a bit too thin and we are seeing the result. I do hope the third wave will make up for it all.

Speaking as a collector of the Bridge Direct series, that line for sure has been a total nightmare. The first wave was great, and the Goblin King/ Thorin pack is one of my favorite toys to be released recently, it just went downhill after that. They've had the remaining dwarf sculpts completed and showed them at Toyfair in 2013, but still they weren't released with wave 2. Only a single new sculpt, Thranduil, was included in a five pack with four re-released figure from the first wave. That's it for 3.75" scale in the US.

Luckily I have a friend in the UK who picked up the 3.75" Azog and Radagast figures that for whatever reason were only released in 6" scale here. Their excuse for the others not being released was due to the "production changes when the movie was split again" but really, the dwarves were done, and the idea that they released two sculpts in different scales only in Europe shows it's a distribution/production issue, not a design issue. I think some companies have been using that as a scapegoat with the exception of TLG as they went ahead and released the 'preview' sets with Wave 1. Clearly shows the whole Mirkwood spiders & elves captivity plots were originally scheduled to happen in the first film.

Edited by bachamn