CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

That's a good-looking hat/hairpiece combo for Gandalf on the game add - I made something similar by cutting down and painting a Thorin hairpiece, but a proper one would be great. He's also got a new top to his staff, which I think can be made using that new round piece with a inset on top and bottom. Would be a couple of excellent improvements to the now very, very familiar Gandalf figure.

The game will finally mean we update our console though, as the age of the Wii seems to be over. So it will be an unexpectedly expensive journey.

I would have hoped the game would release in 2015 so they had gotten PROPER time to do the game as good and movie accurate as the LOTR game was. The last shooting for the movie was done some months ago, and they are pretty quick at making the games so maybe it'll work out.

A3rd hobbit wave 100% confirmed is good tho know since it was only assumed afetr the movie split.

As for lotr wave 3, they would only need 1 good set that included Faramir, an armored gondorian, an armored orc Eowyn and the Witch king. And we've be set with the 'required' minifigures.

Is there still hope?: sure! But it's a little weird advertising something 1 year away if they could have advertised something 6 months away.

Edited by deskp

A3rd hobbit wave 100% confirmed is good tho know since it was only assumed afetr the movie split.

As for lotr wave 3, they would only need 1 good set that included Faramir, an armored gondorian, an armored orc Eowyn and the Witch king. And we've be set with the 'required' minifigures.

Is there still hope?: sure! But it's a little weird advertising something 1 year away if they could have advertised something 6 months away.

I was thinking maybe they advertised the Hobbit wave to help alleviate confusion? Previously the tag line has always been the "journey continues in 20XX". If 2014 is the last year for both lines, maybe they didn't want to advertise LotR as the "journey concluding" when the Hobbit wave was still coming out after? They also didn't want to advertise it as the journey continuing when that would be the last wave. I know it's probably a long shot and I don't want to come off sounding overly optimistic and naive as there seems to be a very good chance we won't get a third LotR wave based on all the indicators. I just have hope Lego still might have something up their sleeve though. It would be a huge shame to see the LotR almost complete and perfect only to end one wave short.

Of course there is the chance of a special D2C stand alone set or something for LotR that won't be advertised specifically until a few months before it's release. If there is, it would pretty much HAVE to be Minas Tirith/Battle of Pelennor Fields to incorporate all the missing main characters we still have. Eowyn, Faramir, and the With King specifically, though it has tons of potential with Gothmog, Denethor, and even Merry and Pippin in their alternate attire. I would love a huge Minas Tirith and a $30 army builder to go along with it since I don't see Gondor soldier army building possible at all off one large D2C set. If we got this I could easily live without a Balrog, Mumakil, (proper) Treebeard, Mount Doom, etc.

I just picked up some of the new sets from ToysRUs and I can confirm that Beorn's head/hair is one piece, as you guys suspected. Disappointing about no ad for more LOTR sets but we can still hope.

10886476256_e1d678ed56_z.jpg

I just picked up some of the new sets from ToysRUs and I can confirm that Beorn's head/hair is one piece, as you guys suspected. Disappointing about no ad for more LOTR sets but we can still hope.

One piece, oh wow I like it, thanks for the clarification and I too agree its a shame about no advertisement for a third lotr wave :classic:

I just picked up some of the new sets from ToysRUs and I can confirm that Beorn's head/hair is one piece, as you guys suspected.

You MUST be joking me.. that is the saddest sight all year.. Oh well, thanks for posting.

And TABA sets, did anybody really doubt there would be any? Hobbit game is really exciting, surprised they advertised it so early.

10886476256_e1d678ed56_z.jpg

Wow, that's... eh..

-Sci

To those worried about Thranduil's ears being too low based on the initial images we saw: it looks much better in person. I don't see the problem.

10887718373_7dfdc9d8f3_z.jpg

"Wow, that's... eh.."

Yep. It is a very impressive bit of printing though. I just can't get round the fact he's not a massive guy with dark hair like he is in the books. Maybe the answer's to do a minor MOC using the body, a suitable head and the CMF caveman black hair and beard. Or Hagrid of course.

"To those worried about Thranduil's ears being too low based on the initial images we saw: it looks much better in person. I don't see the problem."

Whoohoo. Great figure.

Edited by Brickadiergerard

I knew it. That is indeed pretty disappointing. :sceptic: Thranduil and Radagast, on the other hand, look excellent. :thumbup: :thumbup:

:look: From that picture it seems ragast has a printed head/hair combo as well, Are we not allowed real heads anymore, I'm put right off...

FINALLY here's Radagast up close:

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item4d15281d5f

Looks awesome, can't wait! The same seller also has all the minifigs up.

He has bird dropping printing on his beard piece!!! I never thought Lego would put that detail on the actual figure! Looks a lot like Sylvester McCoy! can't wait to get that!

:look: From that picture it seems ragast has a printed head/hair combo as well, Are we not allowed real heads anymore, I'm put right off...

He has a double sided face so that is impossible for him not to have separate pieces!

Thranduil and Radagast look great! Hope Radagast's head isn't one piece.

What would Gandalf say? "Just a fool's hope"

I'm a fool as well!

Thranduil and Radagast look great! Hope Radagast's head isn't one piece.

It can't be as we know there is back printing on the head an alternate expression! It will most likely be like black beard in POTC. Headpiece, special moulded beard piece and then a specially moulded hat.

It can't be as we know there is back printing on the head an alternate exp<b></b>ression! It will most likely be like black beard in POTC. Headpiece, special moulded beard piece and then a specially moulded hat.

The beard and hat look more like a single piece to me, like Bombur or some of the other Dwarves.

Edited by Ardelon

Headpiece, special moulded beard piece and then a specially moulded hat.

Nah the beard/hat is one piece.

I'm pretty sure Radagast's hat/beard is one piece. So it's his head, then the hat and beard. I like how they did that, and I'm pretty disappointed with what they did with Beorn and I hope it doesn't become a new trend. And yeah, the bird poop on Radagast's beard is awesome. :grin:

The beard and hat look more like a single piece to me, like Bombur or some of the other Dwarves.

Bombur has a normal minfigure head that you put the piece onto. radagast will have an actual minfigure head. It probably clicks into that beard and hat piece in some clever way.

Bombur has a normal minfigure head that you put the piece onto. radagast will have an actual minfigure head. It probably clicks into that beard and hat piece in some clever way.

What are you talking about, radagast ebard/hat works jsut like any of the dwarves beard pieces.. normal head, with one piece on top of it.

I'm pretty sure Radagast's hat/beard is one piece. So it's his head, then the hat and beard. I like how they did that, and I'm pretty disappointed with what they did with Beorn and I hope it doesn't become a new trend. And yeah, the bird poop on Radagast's beard is awesome. :grin:

I just never imagined Lego would put that detail into but combined with the different browns/tans used for the face/beard make it look really authentically like the character in the film and like McCoy did in the film the figure looks pleasantly unhinged. The other side of the head has quite a cool expression from the pictures we have seen as it would be the one used for in battle sequences..

Ehh, Radagast head piece looks like a pretty standard one. It's probably just a single molded hat and beard that fits over the minifigure head, much like all the dwarves with a single hair/beard piece.