CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Hmm, if the star wars pix only jsut got out today, then hobbit might come soon aswll, unless they didn't include pictures.

I'd guess it makes sense that (or if) there aren't any pics for retailers until later on in the piece, just set names & numbers for now. The current official customers catalogue apparently covers until December but doesn't even mention The Hobbit.

It is possible that they included a pic of the Laketown set, as that has already been revealed. Time will tell anyway.

Funny, today we have retailer's catalogue pics of 15 SW sets coming out in February but The Hobbit is still under wraps! Not that I'm complaining, I like surprises.

Lucas / Disney doesn't have a movie release pending in the near term. Whereas licensees will be much more careful of maintaining confidentiality and hard street dates for Hobbit stuff as any reveals could cause big trouble with the licensor.

Lucas / Disney doesn't have a movie release pending in the near term. Whereas licensees will be much more careful of maintaining confidentiality and hard street dates for Hobbit stuff as any reveals could cause big trouble with the licensor.

I know that...

A lot of people are suggesting a brick-built Smaug which, in my opinion, could end up making a set crazily expensive if Smaug is as large as he seems from what we have seen so far of him. As for me, I'm not sure whether a mould would be better than brick-built despite my price concerns; after all, we don't know what Smaug looks like fully. However he is made into LEGO, I will almost certainly buy the set containing him.

A brick built Smaug doesn't HAVE to be crazy expensive. Lego could, after all, make Smaug the set like they did with Shelob. Just have a brick built Smaug and several minifigures for under $100 and you have a nice set. Of course if you add in Erebor or Lake Town, even parts, that could really start hiking the price up.

I am usually a big fan of the molded creatures because I don't think square bricks generally create very good looking organic creatures, but a Smaug mold would be massive and seems really unlikely in my mind. I am sure Lego will shrink him down no matter what, but a brick built one could give us a really nice big Smaug for around 100 bucks.

A brick built Smaug doesn't HAVE to be crazy expensive. Lego could, after all, make Smaug the set like they did with Shelob. Just have a brick built Smaug and several minifigures for under $100 and you have a nice set. Of course if you add in Erebor or Lake Town, even parts, that could really start hiking the price up.

I am usually a big fan of the molded creatures because I don't think square bricks generally create very good looking organic creatures, but a Smaug mold would be massive and seems really unlikely in my mind. I am sure Lego will shrink him down no matter what, but a brick built one could give us a really nice big Smaug for around 100 bucks.

I would much prefer a brick built Smaug, as I just can't see Lego making a mold big enough to do Smaug justice. The Smaug I'm thinking of dwarfs the latest Castle dragon. And with the potential of a $100 brick built Smaug, I think he could be big enough to be able to smooth the edges more and move away from the bricky look. I was quite impressed with how Shelob finished, I don't find her overly bricky.

I would much prefer a brick built Smaug, as I just can't see Lego making a mold big enough to do Smaug justice. The Smaug I'm thinking of dwarfs the latest Castle dragon. And with the potential of a $100 brick built Smaug, I think he could be big enough to be able to smooth the edges more and move away from the bricky look. I was quite impressed with how Shelob finished, I don't find her overly bricky.

Agreed. What is the largest big mold big fig they have done? The T Rex or the Rancor? Neither really get close to the size you would want? I'm a fan of selective compression to enable play. But there are limits you can take it before the illusion starts breaking down. I think a molded Smaug would quickly hit those limits. Maybe a molded head on a brick built body?

Agreed. What is the largest big mold big fig they have done? The T Rex or the Rancor? Neither really get close to the size you would want? I'm a fan of selective compression to enable play. But there are limits you can take it before the illusion starts breaking down. I think a molded Smaug would quickly hit those limits. Maybe a molded head on a brick built body?

A molded head could work, and with molded wings it could have the organic look many want while still maintaining the brick built size to set it apart from previous molded dragons that are, imo, just too small.

I could imagination a huge brick built Smaug like the UCS R2-D2 from Star Wars and additional a kind Playmobil Smaug attached in a LEGO play set.

What are the chances of seeing Radagast in this years winter wave ? I thought he could be included in at least one of the sets this winter, but maybe that's just me with wishful thinking.

What are the chances of seeing Radagast in this years winter wave ? I thought he could be included in at least one of the sets this winter, but maybe that's just me with wishful thinking.

About the same chances of seeing Thranduil or Beorn ;)

I think it's very likely that Radagast will be showing up. Even if he isn't too important to the plot, he's clearly a fan favorite, and I think he's got a lot of kid appeal, which is important to TLG. And new hair/hat molds are pretty common these days. If there really are two Dol Guldur sets, I would bet he's in one of them.

This still sounds like FUTURE set discussion. This thread is for 2013 sets we KNOW about.

This still sounds like FUTURE set discussion. This thread is for 2013 sets we KNOW about.

You can say this as many times as you want, they aren't going to listen. (No offence) I know this is about the sets we know, but the future thread is full of scary people, so I think that is the reason we post here :grin: .

I think people get a bit confused because this thread is titled "LotR and Hobbit 2013". The next Hobbit wave is technically supposed to be released in December 2013 so it could fit here according to the title. The other thread is titled "Future LotR Sets" with no mention of the Hobbit whatsoever in the title. I can only assume that is why people are discussing the upcoming Hobbit sets here.

No offense, but we're talking about "LOTR & The Hobbit 2013", as in, what we guess and hope the coming (Winter 2013) wave of the Hobbit will bring. Why is this not the appropriate place for it?

You can say this as many times as you want, they aren't going to listen. (No offence) I know this is about the sets we know, but the future thread is full of scary people, so I think that is the reason we post here :grin: .

Yeah, if we go there we'll be pulled into an argument with Mr. I-want-minias-Tirith-to-be-a-$1500-set-and-LEGO-has-to-make-that-even-if-nobody-buys-it-cause-its-too-expensive-they-have-to-please-me-and-me-alone :tongue:

I hope that included the set list that may or may not be true. Cause thats usually how these treads go. The future set discussion is more of a wishlist dump.

Don't sass talk me.

This thread is for the 2013 LotR sets released in June and the Hobbit sets that will be released in December. We can talk about Battle at the Black Gate or Lake Town Chase, but sets that haven't been released or listed are purely speculative and they belong in the future sets category.

I'll meet you guys half way, I'll sticky the Future LotR sets thread and make a sticky one for The Hobbit since you can't get along with the LotR guys.

I hope that included the set list that may or may not be true. Cause thats usually how these treads go. The future set discussion is more of a wishlist dump.

If the set list is from a reputable website, then yes, discuss the list, but don't discuss a list people just make up, or what mold we would use for Smaug. I mean really, we may never even see a Smaug and I don't want 17 pages for that. Same thing with the Bear.

No offense, but we're talking about "LOTR & The Hobbit 2013", as in, what we guess and hope the coming (Winter 2013) wave of the Hobbit will bring. Why is this not the appropriate place for it?

As I have made it clear. NO

It just seems inevitable that as soon as one of you guys mentions "The Smaug set" every 13 year old who wanders in here thinks there IS a Smaug set. Then we get 6 pages discussing a set that doesn't exist. The first post has links to the sets we know about, that is what should be discussed here.

You know WHY we have a future LotR set topic? Because you guys were complaining there was too much speculation and not enough talk about the sets that actually exist so I was forced to split them after the complaints rained in. Stop that discussion now.

I think people get a bit confused because this thread is titled "LotR and Hobbit 2013". The next Hobbit wave is technically supposed to be released in December 2013 so it could fit here according to the title. The other thread is titled "Future LotR Sets" with no mention of the Hobbit whatsoever in the title. I can only assume that is why people are discussing the upcoming Hobbit sets here.

Yes, the 2013 sets that ACTUALLY come out can be discussed here. Analyze Lake Town Chase all you want, even discuss set lists posted from a reputable site, but other than that, keep the future stuff OUT of here.

Well, the Dol Guldur sets are listed on Brickset.com, and that is a trustable site, so I guess we can discuss those sets here :tongue: . But I saw your new thread, so I guess we all have to move there now.

I won't make The Hobbit post here anymore, scout's honor! (Never been a scout, but who cares :grin: )

I think we're safe to assume the list to be true since spielwaren-kontor24.de, who brought us last year's set list, also lists those 4 sets: http://www.spielwaren-kontor24.de/lego/lego-hobbit/

It says pictures are expected to be revealed Nov 1st, but I think we might see them at least a month earlier just like we did last year :wub:

Uhm, does this mean we are allowed to talk about them here now? I am confused.

Anyway, as someone who has focussed on elves for a long time, I am excited about the Mirkwood elf army. Fortunately I did not spend money on ridiculous prices for Mirkwood Polybags. Since the design of Legolas, mirkwood elf and the guard/keymaster in the cellar set looked quite alike, I expect the this mirkwood army to be like this also. Which is very nice, but still a bit under perfection as in Haldir or the CMF elf. Elves are cool, elves in armor are better.

The Uruk-Hai Army had 4 Uruks, so I believe there will be about as much elves in the set. As I learned from this forum, there needs to be a certain ratio between figs and buildable bricks, so there will be some structure as well. I guess a tree, which would be fine. There is that scene in the Hobbit 2 trailer where a lot of CGi elves hop along trees so I guess that will be it.

Dear 13 Year olds: It might still be that this set is a false alarm. Don't spread this as truth.

We will find out if you did.

Uhm, does this mean we are allowed to talk about them here now? I am confused.

Those 4 sets were never the issue.

I believe the mirkwood army, will be the armored elves, not the one's we've seen made so far.

Those 4 sets were never the issue.

I believe the mirkwood army, will be the armored elves, not the one's we've seen made so far.

I agree. The Mirkwood army should feature the armored elves from the AUJ prologue where Thranduil turns away from Erebor to help against Smaug. I think these are also the same armored elves seen in the clip from the DoS trailer on the wall fighting orcs and Azog trying to scale the Mirkwood defenses. Again these are the same scene in the DoS vblog with about 30 extras in Mirkwood elf armor.

This set is exciting because it could include one or two armored elves and a couple guards. Hopefully the armor will look unique and the helm with a V shape antler -like horns.

I agree. The Mirkwood army should feature the armored elves from the AUJ prologue where Thranduil turns away from Erebor to help against Smaug. I think these are also the same armored elves seen in the clip from the DoS trailer on the wall fighting orcs and Azog trying to scale the Mirkwood defenses. Again these are the same scene in the DoS vblog with about 30 extras in Mirkwood elf armor.

This set is exciting because it could include one or two armored elves and a couple guards. Hopefully the armor will look unique and the helm with a V shape antler -like horns.

The vlog and prologue soldiers are the same, the ones in the trailer are diferent, these are seen in another vlog inside the mountain.

Thranduil has 3 types of organized elven figthers, His army (prologue) the woodland guards (Tauriel's crew) and the Realm's guards (trailer + PJ live event clip)

I now think we now might see a mix of THESE and THESE