CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Five or more Hobbit sets? Well, I guess my predictions are wrong, unless those are including the two from last year. Good news, though!

Five or more Hobbit sets? Well, I guess my predictions are wrong, unless those are including the two from last year. Good news, though!

This is very speculative, but it almsot sounded as if there will be 5 "normal" sets and somethign d2c or something. Unless she was thinking about polybags, it seemed like she was counting the upcoming sets in her head.

but 5 sets is good, cause it means atleast 4 proper sets and one tiny set that rarely offers much for anything. (suprise me lego!)

I hope the azog we get in sets have done something about the arm/shoulder situation.

Edited by deskp

This is very speculative, but it almsot sounded as if there will be 5 "normal" sets and somethign d2c or something. Unless she was thinking about polybags, it seemed like she was counting the upcoming sets in her head.

but 5 sets is good, cause it means atleast 4 proper sets and one tiny set that rarely offers much for anything. (suprise me lego!)

I hope the azog we get in sets have done something about the arm/shoulder situation.

5 sets is brilliant news, and could still mean a possible exclusive.

And LEGO won't change their Azog mold. If they made this fig for SDCC, then this is their official fig. Such a big new minifig piece is too expensive not to make in large quantities. It just wouldn't be a good business move for LEGO.

5 sets is brilliant news, and could still mean a possible exclusive.

And LEGO won't change their Azog mold. If they made this fig for SDCC, then this is their official fig. Such a big new minifig piece is too expensive not to make in large quantities. It just wouldn't be a good business move for LEGO.

They wouldnt change their azog molds, just add new arm molds.

They wouldnt change their azog molds, just add new arm molds.

Perhaps. And that would make the fig look less awkward.

Well were getting a dragon :D (I just watched the MTV video)

1st of all it would be pretty stupid too not have Smaug

2nd When I asked LEGO designers bout Orthanc (at brickvention) they all said too me wait and see..

My guess is he'll be the flagship set

Does anyone else think that LEGO really missed a great chance when it comes to the name of these Middle-Earth sets? I think the could have easily just used the names of the chapters from the books, i.e. Riddles in the Dark, Flies and Spiders, Out of the Frying pan Into the Fire. I really think it would have been clever if LEGO had done that.

Does anyone else think that LEGO really missed a great chance when it comes to the name of these Middle-Earth sets? I think the could have easily just used the names of the chapters from the books, i.e. Riddles in the Dark, Flies and Spiders, Out of the Frying pan Into the Fire. I really think it would have been clever if LEGO had done that.

Yea I know what you mean

The LOTR sets I don't mind but the hobbit sets nah don't like the names, I mean really An Unexpected Gathering? It's An Unexpected PARTY!

This may be nitpicking, but I'm starting to get disappointed with the inability to use quivers on some of these minifigs, specifically, all the elves including Legolas, and now Bard the BOWman. I'm not sure why the can't make it so the hairpiece allows spacing for the quivers. I mean, they included the space on the Orc hairpieces in Mines of Moria.

Thoughts?

This may be nitpicking, but I'm starting to get disappointed with the inability to use quivers on some of these minifigs, specifically, all the elves including Legolas, and now Bard the BOWman. I'm not sure why the can't make it so the hairpiece allows spacing for the quivers. I mean, they included the space on the Orc hairpieces in Mines of Moria.

Thoughts?

I agree.

Do you remember the promotional computer images of the figures from way back when had Legolas with a quiver and a knife on his back? We all (well, me anyway) got very excited about it as it looked fantastic. When the actual figure came out I tried to like the hair without the quiver but ended up deciding the quiver was too important not to have, and the hair was just too long. So I swapped the official hair for the CMF Elf's hair and painted the ears light flesh colour - it means his head can move too. That solution won't be to everyone's taste, but I've altered all my Fellowship figures to try and make them like I imagined them in the books, and have done the same with Bilbo as well. You can carve a slot out the back of a quiver and fit the official Legolas hair over it if you want to keep the figure looking like he does in the film. As for Bard, everyone will use Thorin's hair won't they? Or the black version of the Aragorn/Boromir hair maybe. With a dark brown or black quiver. With that, the figure will be perfect.

And that hair/quiver issue aside, Laketown is a great set - best in the series after Bag End I think. Like Bag End it manages to capture the look of a scene from the book as well as the film. One of Tolkien's line drawing in the book is of Laketown with a little long boat in the foreground, crewed by men in pointy hats. I suppose the pointy hats in the picture are where PJ and co got the idea for the pointy hats of the guard and the Dalemen soldiers. Anyway, this set really follows the look of that picture, and for that, maximum marks TLG.

I'm guessing that the Chapter titles would fall under the copyright of the Tolkien estate, which Lego does not have.

There has been an awful lot of complaining about this set, but I think that it is a solid representation of Lake Town without going overboard. Granted, there could have been a few more buildings, but this seems to capture the essence of Lake Town for it's first part in the Hobbit. It also includes all the characters we would need, Bard, the Master of the town and a Lake Town guard. 2 Guards would have been nice, but I'm just glad we got one - we should count our blessings for each generic guard or soldier we get for any LotR/Hobbit line. Also, I could easily see this as a $40 set, but I think it is comparable to Attack of the Wargs at $50. A $10 markup is not exactly uncommon any more, and the piece count has had less and less to do with the price of sets.

I'm pretty sure Azog will be showing up in another set this wave, but I don't really care if I get him or not anyways. Yazneg was merely a source for parts, and the legs were the only part I've had a use for yet. I love the Hobbit, but I don't care for PJ's embellishments, so I could care less about Azog or Yazneg. I would still like to see a Radagast though.

I really hate those flesh triangles on torsos...

but the rest of the accessories on minifigs look awsome :D

Hmm. The Lake-Town set looks nice, if perhaps a little unfinished. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to get multiples and expand it.

It's too bad the colours on the render are darker than the actual thing though. The dark brown looked great.

That set is amazing! However 334 pieces for £50 is not worth it IMO. I do feel like the set is lacking something, especially since it is named 'Lake town CHASE'.

The new minifigures are nice and I like the new Thorin print.

As for Azog he will be in a set. Lego won't pay for a new mold just to give away for free to some random con attendees.

I just noticed, the Master of Lake Town minifig looks quite similar to Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail from HP (especially the teeth and moustache)... Those who wanted a redesign can now use this minifig's head :sweet: At first I thought the Master looks nothing like Stephen Fry, but he really will look like that in the movie:

220px-Tumblr_mall4xzuVs1qfeaoyo1_500.jpg

http://lotr.wikia.co...ter_of_Laketown

Edit: And someone's already selling the Azog minifig (or Voldemorc, as I like to call him :grin: ) on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c34e8960b

He doesn't have pupils, so it's consistent with the other orc minifigs :sweet:

Edited by Lego-Freak

No no, what we saw were the actors on set, in Dale, they were shooting BO5A stuff. They have showns alot of behind the scenes stuff concerning bo5a. Smaug wll hve nothing to do with Dale in DOS.

Legolas has some action in laketown well before smaug attack though.

You are combining quotes that shouldnt nessecarily be connected. The final batte with smaug does not involve the dwarves, they just have some action with him before he flies off to lake town. the big action piece Fran talks about is whatever is at the end of the movie, it wasn't nessecarily in relation to the dwarves vs smaug.

Nope peter Jackson said in the interview section that the dwarves would have their final showdown with smaug towards the end of the movie. Whether this means they do injure smaug then smaug flies off to lake town is unknown. Then again PJ could've changed the action in the movie maybe smaug and lake town come into contact and then he flies back and the dwarves get in on the action. I'm sure bard will probably be involved in that anyway for reasons that I will not mention. The article as I read it had all that info in a paragraph. They were not separate quotes they all related. It was a whole four page spread of Peter Jackson talking about what we will see in the movie when he was asked that general question. Fran's comment may have been unrelated but she joined the conversation after PJ said about the dwarves fighting smaug. He said that battle with the dwarves was really going to amaze audiences and improve that part of the story giving a better end than what happened in the book. Then again Walsh could have been talking about another action sequence as she was a bit vague.... Still 4 more sets not including this one sounds good to me! More than that then that would be exceptional.

1000$ for the packaging because the minifig will be, I think at 99%, in a future set :)

I really hope no one pays that much for Azog. Afterall, he's more than likely to turn up in a set sooner or later, and as I look at the SDCC 'exclusive' I'm thinking that the only thing 'exclusive' here may be Azog's weapon/club.

Edited by Dorothy Vader

Yes, I hope nobody will pay that price or even less to make him understand that we don't need this kind of speculation. Just wait together the next wave :)

Edited by N7LEGO

^ The reveal of Lake Town Chase (why chase, btw?) and maybe more Azogs given away, maybe?

Probably some plot line that PJ will have written in, where the men of Lake-town try to stop the Company from heading to Erebor so they don't wake the dragon. That seems like the most realistic basis for that set.

Probably some plot line that PJ will have written in, where the men of Lake-town try to stop the Company from heading to Erebor so they don't wake the dragon. That seems like the most realistic basis for that set.

Also, we've seen a lot of them filming Bard running through Laketown as if being chased. That's likely the basis for the set.

When did we see our first prelims of pics of last years wave? Wasn't it September-October?

EDIT: $1000 for Azog! Holy crap! That seems like a bit much. My bet is its being sold by someone who isn't a LEGO fan (since the figs were being handed out at random, and not at the LEGO booth), so he hopes to get a ridiculous amount of money for it. The most I'd likely pay right now would be maybe $100.

Edited by Fives