CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I wouls make him white so it wouldnt be too similar to various armor on him. Same with Azog.

It feels like bolg will get pushed to a minimal role in the movie they way PJ keeps loving Azog.

Which is incredibly annoying, since the only reason Conan Stevens left Game of Thrones after season 1 was to play Bolg. Ugh. He was such a good Mountain. /rant

I think Azog should be a white minifigure as well, or a very, very pale cream color if Lego can pull that off. But unless they go gung ho with a unique maxifig treatment, Azog and Sauron are never going to be done properly.

the extremely light grey color they used for the base color of the Knight's Kingdom II shields and Thok would be good, if they still have it in production.

But unless they go gung ho with a unique maxifig treatment, Azog and Sauron are never going to be done properly.

Also we have the long Woody arms and legs. https://www.thedailybrick.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x700/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/0/b00331t6iu.png

Azog would have printed armor/boots aswell as his "skirt" so the legs would seem less long.

I think Woody's full body would work well for Sauron, Bolg and Azog,

Also we have the long Woody arms and legs. https://www.thedaily.../b00331t6iu.png

Azog would have printed armor/boots aswell as his "skirt" so the legs would seem less long.

I think Woody's full body would work well for Sauron, Bolg and Azog,

I guess I wouldn't mind the Woddy treatment on those three but I'd prefer they were just done as regular minifigs. There's a point at which the toy is close enough and imagination can do the rest. That point is subjective and different for different people but standard minifigs are close enough for me. (I prefer the Hulk from the polybag to the set) The main issue I have with 'Woody legs' is that they don't last well unless they are treated with special care. When thrown in with other Legos, the two legs will end up coming together at the feet due to the decreased support of the waist piece at the greater distance. From a customization standpoint, a bunch of new long legs would be wonderful though. It's a bit annoying that any giant I make has to wear boots and blue jeans. :tongue:

I guess I wouldn't mind the Woddy treatment on those three but I'd prefer they were just done as regular minifigs. There's a point at which the toy is close enough and imagination can do the rest. That point is subjective and different for different people but standard minifigs are close enough for me. (I prefer the Hulk from the polybag to the set) The main issue I have with 'Woody legs' is that they don't last well unless they are treated with special care. When thrown in with other Legos, the two legs will end up coming together at the feet due to the decreased support of the waist piece at the greater distance. From a customization standpoint, a bunch of new long legs would be wonderful though. It's a bit annoying that any giant I make has to wear boots and blue jeans. :tongue:

I have to say I think that the Woody legs would be essential for a Sauron minifig since he was so tall in the FOTR. That being said, I do agree with you that Azog and Bolg should be done as regular minifigs since they were not much taller than the urok hai.

That being said, I do agree with you that Azog and Bolg should be done as regular minifigs since they were not much taller than the urok hai.

Azog and bolg are taller than the uruk hai, the uruk hay weren't really all that tall. They were tall in a human tall way..

1092.jpg

But not tall in a really really tall way, like it seems they are portraying Bolg (Surely Azog wouldn't be shorter). That said, I wouldnt have any problems with Azog and Bolg being normal minifig size. Bolg would hopefully get a beard or shoulder pads not connected to his hair that would help his height a little!

figure_gandalf_i_bolg-x.jpg

Perhaps for Sauron, normal legs could be used, an have 1x1 plates in the bottom to give the appearance of armoured boots.

Bolg could get a hair/helmet/beard piece, and then shoulder armour like that one PoP assassin.

1x1 plates fall off when attached to a surface. The Frankenstein's Monster from Studios originally used them, but the idea was scrapped because the plates wouldn't lift off with the feet. They followed through with it in the CMF Series 8 Diver, but the plates stuck to the base.

monster.png

Perhaps for Sauron, normal legs could be used, an have 1x1 plates in the bottom to give the appearance of armoured boots.

I don't think that ever looks good.

Tower of Orthanc review by DoctorBrikDaddy. I haven't watched it yet but liked his reviews of the first LotR wave.

One problem with the review: It is an ENT, not Treebeard, and not a "treebeard" It's annoying that he calls all Ents that, as Treebeard was only one Ent. He made quite a few other errors, as well. Great review otherwise. I do like that the Eye palantir works in this set, as it looks great lit up. I saw it today at my LEGO store and it was quite large. I plan to get it soon, but likely not during the remaining promotional time.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I also found the lighting sub-par. The tower interior was very hard to see.

I am 18 and just got back into Lego. I have have every The Hobbit set except Goblin King Battle and Barrel Escape and Gandalf Arrives, Uruk Hai Army, and Shelob Attacks. I have ordered all the other Hobbit and LOTR first wave sets and plan to get second wave as well.

Any ideas of sets to buy multiples I plan to buy two Black Gates the second with no minifigs

Also the person who was under sixteen a few pages back, mow lawns or watch dogs to earn money I earn hundreds doing that and that's how I afford Legos

Edited by YOUSHALLNOTPASS

I am 18 and just got back into Lego. I have have every The Hobbit set except Goblin King Battle and Barrel Escape and Gandalf Arrives, Uruk Hai Army, and Shelob Attacks. I have ordered all the other Hobbit and LOTR first wave sets and plan to get second wave as well.

Any ideas of sets to buy multiples I plan to buy two Black Gates the second with no minifigs

Also the person who was under sixteen a few pages back, mow lawns or watch dogs to earn money I earn hundreds doing that and that's how I afford Legos

If you're just getting into the LOTR and Hobbit line, make sure you only order from Amazon.com whenever possible. It's way cheaper that way. (Goblin King only $75 instead of 100, for instance. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Hobbit-Goblin-King-Battle/dp/B009TCYK2E/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1371758887&sr=8-8&keywords=goblin+king)

When it comes to Azog's size, I don't think the difference between him and Uruk-Hai is that big; Saruman is 2 meters tall and Lurtz appears to be the same size. According to WETA's Creatures and Characters book Azog is 2.15 meters tall, which I believe doesn't require Woody legs. But it's still quite big difference from dwarves (and, of course, Bilbo), who are a bit too tall compared to basic minifigs in brick form.

So, I'm ordering Orthanc today. Out of curiosity, would I get the Jor-El fig with the purchase?

Yes, you would. I ordered it two days ago and it comes with a poster, a TMNT keychain and Jor-El.

So, I'm ordering Orthanc today. Out of curiosity, would I get the Jor-El fig with the purchase?

Yes!

Just saw all the sets built in the Lego store and all of them look great!

Only bought Orthanc for now. I will wait for the other setstill the price drops a little althoug I'm eager to buy the Rivendell set.

Only built the Ent for now and it looks way better than in the pictures but I don't like all the grey colour pieces on him.

Uruk Hai Army. Definetly. 4 times. plus helms deep gives you a nice looking wall. And you have some uruks and rohan soldiers.

2 Black Gates is also a must.