CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

The gate would be more likely in my opinion.

If theres a minas tirrith I'd expect a 3-4 level thing, and only a quarter circle, buy 2 build one mirrored and BooM!

I always imagined it being released similar to the Helm's Deep set. Lego might include the Citadel and part of a wall as the main $130-150 dollar set, then make a separate $30 wall/army builder add on set with a couple Gondor soldiers and Orcs with catapult. That or maybe they will do it in two larger sets, one has the gate and has an orc or Rohan soldier, Eowyn, Theoden, Merry, Gothmog, and the With King on Fel Beast and is the bottom level with the gate for $80. Then they could release an upper level of the city and the citadel with the white tree, Denethor, Pippin, Faramir, Gandalf the White on Shadowfax, a Gondor Guard or two, and a regular Gondor soldier for $100-130. Those who want/can afford the whole city can buy both and combine them. This would still leave the smaller sets open too for iconic scenes not yet done, such as Treebeard and the Balrog in $40-60 range sets.

Either way I really hope they don't pass it up simply because it's a big set. I do have a hard time seeing Lego releasing another huge D2C set next year after we just got Orthanc this year. If they do pass on Minas Tirith, maybe they will do Osgiliath at the least? I have hopes that since Gondor hasn't been covered at all, we will at least get 2-3 sets dedicated to it next wave, kind of like the first wave had a couple sets dedicated to Rohan/Helm's Deep.

Edited by Deathleech

If they do pass on Minas Tirith, maybe they will do Osgiliath at the least? I have hopes that since Gondor hasn't been covered at all, we will at least get 2-3 sets dedicated to it next wave, kind of like the first wave had a couple sets dedicated to Rohan/Helm's Deep.

I did this as a MOC. I dumped all my light and dark grey bricks the floor in a pile and tossed in a few minis. Poof all done.

… keep trying to sell Eomer + wall + bastila.

Lol, if I had enough money atm I'd buy those Eomers, walls, and bastilas. xD

I always imagined it being released similar to the Helm's Deep set. Lego might include the Citadel and part of a wall as the main $130-150 dollar set, then make a separate $30 wall/army builder add on set with a couple Gondor soldiers and Orcs with catapult. That or maybe they will do it in two larger sets, one has the gate and has an orc or Rohan soldier, Eowyn, Theoden, Merry, Gothmog, and the With King on Fel Beast and is the bottom level with the gate for $80.

*snip*

This does not only sound good but also an imagineable approach to get the thing done. However, we must remeber that every special/rare/huge item included will skyrocket the pricing. Remember ol'Jabba or his most favourite pet...

Lol, if I had enough money atm I'd buy those Eomers, walls, and bastilas. xD

Me too, me too. :laugh:

A double lightsaber would have done wonders about the ranks of Sauron's minions...

Which minifigs are important is always going to be a personal opinion, but as far as I look at it the only "Essential" characters that we are missing in any form are

Witch-King (Technically one of the Wraiths in Weathertop could be him, but face it we want spikey death helmet)

Eowyn

Faramir

Galadriel (Could possibly appear in a Hobbit set.)

Denethor

and Gothmog (maybe not essential but along with Lurtz and the Ring Wraiths, he's one of the few named baddy that gets out on the battle field. My orcs need a general)

There are of course variants of characters like Merry and Pippin in their Rohan/Citadel attire and a none naked Lurtz, that we could really use as well as certain factions that are still missing Lothlorien Elves, Gondor Soldiers and Rangers, Haradrim and Easterlings. All that aside, missing six or seven crucial characters after only two waves isn't all that shabby.

Which minifigs are important is always going to be a personal opinion, but as far as I look at it the only "Essential" characters that we are missing in any form are

Witch-King (Technically one of the Wraiths in Weathertop could be him, but face it we want spikey death helmet)

Eowyn

Faramir

Galadriel (Could possibly appear in a Hobbit set.)

Denethor

and Gothmog (maybe not essential but along with Lurtz and the Ring Wraiths, he's one of the few named baddy that gets out on the battle field. My orcs need a general)

There are of course variants of characters like Merry and Pippin in their Rohan/Citadel attire and a none naked Lurtz, that we could really use as well as certain factions that are still missing Lothlorien Elves, Gondor Soldiers and Rangers, Haradrim and Easterlings. All that aside, missing six or seven crucial characters after only two waves isn't all that shabby.

I wholly agree. I would personally add Sauron and Isildur (and Gil-Galad) to the list but I understand why they may not show up. Another non-essential baddy that I suspect we will get is Grishnahk. He would at least help provide some variety for those who can't stand having a uniform orc army. I'm very happy with where LEGO has us after just two waves. I don't think it would even require more than four sets to get all of the essential characters and repeats of the rest of the fellowship in. Eowyn, the Witchking and Merry in one. Faramir, Sam and Mumakil in another. I'd bet money Galadriel is in this Hobbit wave. Denethor, Pippin and Gothmog could even be in the same set. That's all the characters you mentioned in just three LOTR sets and only leaves Boromir without a repeat. Given the amount of wiggle room I feel like LEGO has for the next wave, I'm very optimistic about it. Maybe there will even be room for that prologue set I so desperately want. :wub:

Eowyn, the Witchking and Merry in one. Faramir, Sam and Mumakil in another. I'd bet money Galadriel is in this Hobbit wave. Denethor, Pippin and Gothmog could even be in the same set. That's all the characters you mentioned in just three LOTR sets and only leaves Boromir without a repeat.

I think it more likely they would have Denethor, Faramir, and Gondor clothed Pippin in one set, and then Merry, Gothmog, Eomyn, and the Witch King in another. I say that because Faramir is never shown fighting the Mumakil or even apart of the Pelennor Fields battle. Gothmog could go either way, but since he comes after Eowyn once the Witch King dies I think he would do better in this set. Then again the Witch King could be with Denethor and company to depict the scene where he faces Gandalf the White. There are a lot of possibilities for all the characters. I think a Mumakil set would have Legolas for sure.

Edited by Deathleech

I really hope that by the end of this license we have four LOTR waves and four Hobbit waves. I would really love to see a D2C set for the Hobbit: the Trollshaws. I believe that a big expensive exclusive is the only way LEGO could justify three unique troll molds. And it likely would sell well. Die hard Tolkien fans would want it because it is one of the most iconic scenes from any of Tolkien's stories, army builders will want it for the trolls to beef up their armies, and collectors will want it to complete their collection or to have on a shelf. And if this license got two D2C sets by the end of it, it will have been a great success.

I also think that people fearing LEGO won't make Minas Tirith is ridiculous. The scenes that takes place at the White City are way to action packed and iconic for LEGO to throw out the window. Sure, it will be tough for them to do it justice, but they pulled off Helm's Deep beautifully, and while that's a little different, they can still do a great job with Gondor. And they will. There's way too much money making opportunity with Minas Tirith to not make it.

I think it more likely they would have Denethor, Faramir, and Gondor clothed Pippin in one set, and then Merry, Gothmog, Eomyn, and the Witch King in another. I say that because Faramir is never shown fighting the Mumakil or even apart of the Pelennor Fields battle. Gothmog could go either way, but since he comes after Eowyn once the Witch King dies I think he would do better in this set. Then again the Witch King could be with Denethor and company to depict the scene where he faces Gandalf the White. There are a lot of possibilities for all the characters. I think a Mumakil set would have Legolas for sure.

I think that's likely as well but Faramir is shown fighting Mumakil just not at Pelennor. I was talking about Faramir and his rangers when they ambush the Mumakil and capture Frodo, Sam and Gollum. I think that or the caves above the forbidden pool or maybe Osgiliath would be the best way to include Sam again while also hitting important new characters and bad guys. It will be hard for LEGO to pass up doing Legolas against the oliphant though. (I admit I hated that scene. It went from live action to very cartoony cgi) More than any other scene, I am SURE they won't pass up the Witchking and Eowyn. No way.

Fives, I would LOVE four waves but I don't think it seems necessary. What essentials do you expect to be left untouched after one more wave? I'm not arguing there won't be sets left to make though; Lothlorien and the Grey Havens are probably my two favorite places in all of Middle Earth and I doubt they will get covered in the next wave. I just feel that if LEGO sees it through three fantastic waves, they'll have done the theme justice. I don't suppose I would ever be ready for them to stop though. Barad-dur, more of Rivendell, Edoras, The Prancing Pony. Minas Ithil would be stunning. Whenever they do end this line, there will still be some wonderful stuff left undone.

Edited by Str0ngbad

I think that's likely as well but Faramir is shown fighting Mumakil just not at Pelennor. I was talking about Faramir and his rangers when they ambush the Mumakil and capture Frodo, Sam and Gollum. I think that or the caves above the forbidden pool or maybe Osgiliath would be the best way to include Sam again while also hitting important new characters and bad guys. It will be hard for LEGO to pass up doing Legolas against the oliphant though. (I admit I hated that scene. It went from live action to very cartoony cgi) More than any other scene, I am SURE they won't pass up the Witchking and Eowyn. No way.

Fives, I would LOVE four waves but I don't think it seems necessary. What essentials do you expect to be left untouched after one more wave? I'm not arguing there won't be sets left to make though; Lothlorien and the Grey Havens are probably my two favorite places in all of Middle Earth and I doubt they will get covered in the next wave. I just feel that if LEGO sees it through three fantastic waves, they'll have done the theme justice. I don't suppose I would ever be ready for them to stop though. Barad-dur, more of Rivendell, Edoras, The Prancing Pony. Minas Ithil would be stunning. Whenever they do end this line, there will still be some wonderful stuff left undone.

There is no doubt that LEGO won't be able to cover everything, but if the theme is selling well enough, they could keep making sets.

I'll bet a Lothlorien set is pretty likely. Wasn't it one of the in-game set designs, along with Rivendell? And the Rivendell set is pretty much an exact copy of what was in the game. I wish I had pictures to reference what I'm talking about, but I remember seeing them a few months ago.

I'll bet a Lothlorien set is pretty likely. Wasn't it one of the in-game set designs, along with Rivendell? And the Rivendell set is pretty much an exact copy of what was in the game. I wish I had pictures to reference what I'm talking about, but I remember seeing them a few months ago.

I sincerely hope you're right and yes, it was an in-game set design. I don't think that they will be covering every set from the games though and the only character it would add for us is Celeborn who is very marginal in the movies. (Assuming we get Galadriel from the Hobbit sets)

We're more likely a small Mirror of Galadriel set than a big Lorien set, which would give us Galadriel and a possible variation of Frodo. I would rather that than Galadriel in a Hobbit set, which could make room for other Hobbit-only characters.

I really, I mean really want a oliphant set, do you think there's a good chance we'll see such a set?

If we do, it likely won't be as amazing as some mocs. What I hope is they make a big molded elephant the same as the one in the game, with the main build being the battle tower on its back. Then it comes down to whether they base it on the scene from Ithilien or Pelennor. My guess would be Pelennor since they are more recognized from there, and we could then get Faramir in a small Osgiliath set (maybe similar in size to the POTC Isla de Muerta set).

Edited by Fives

Do you guy remember in which month , last year we got pictures of the Hobbit sets ?

Ahh you are right, I totally forgot about that and was thinking Pelennor Fields. Like Fives points out, the Oliphants are a little more memorable there (though I agree the Legolas taking one down was too over the top for my likings, but I am sure kids eat it up). I was thinking another set Sam could be in is a Mount Doom set with Frodo, Gollum, Samwise and maybe even another Eagle. It would be a good way to reuse that Eagle mold at any rate.

If we do, it likely won't be as amazing as some mocs. What I hope is they make a big molded elephant the same as the one in the game, with the main build being the battle tower on its back. Then it comes down to whether they base it on the scene from Ithilien or Pelennor. My guess would be Pelennor since they are more recognized from there, and we could then get Faramir in a small Osgiliath set (maybe similar in size to the POTC Isla de Muerta set).

That's pretty much exactly how I picture Lego doing the Oliphant as well. A big molded Oliphant with the brick built component being the platform on the back. They could even make it into a $30 battle pack of sorts and include 2 Haradrim grunts, the Chief steering, and then 2 Rohan on horses. I am not sure Lego will do another battle pack style set with Rohan though.

Do you guy remember in which month , last year we got pictures of the Hobbit sets ?

We got the set list in the first week of July, the picture of the Bag-End sets in July at SDCC '12, and finally the pictures from the poster in the first week of October. :wink:

Ahh you are right, I totally forgot about that and was thinking Pelennor Fields. Like Fives points out, the Oliphants are a little more memorable there (though I agree the Legolas taking one down was too over the top for my likings, but I am sure kids eat it up). I was thinking another set Sam could be in is a Mount Doom set with Frodo, Gollum, Samwise and maybe even another Eagle. It would be a good way to reuse that Eagle mold at any rate.

That's pretty much exactly how I picture Lego doing the Oliphant as well. A big molded Oliphant with the brick built component being the platform on the back. They could even make it into a $30 battle pack of sorts and include 2 Haradrim grunts, the Chief steering, and then 2 Rohan on horses. I am not sure Lego will do another battle pack style set with Rohan though.

I completely forgot about Mount Doom! That would be great!

As for the Mumak, I imagine it being $100 or more at least, to justify a big Oliphaunt mold. I would like the tusks to be the size of a Castle dragon tail, so pretty big. I'm of the mind to have one really big, epic Mumak rather than buy multiple smaller ones.

Edited by Fives

I wonder why there were no Haradrim so far anyway... A ranger vs Haradrim set could be easily done and would not even require new molds if the Oliphant is brickbuild.

As for the Mumak, I imagine it being $100 or more at least, to justify a big Oliphaunt mold. I would like the tusks to be the size of a Castle dragon tail, so pretty big. I'm of the mind to have one really big, epic Mumak rather than buy multiple smaller ones.

The only problem with that is it would look incredibly out of place next to most of the sets Lego has already released. It would just be too big, a Mumakil that big would totally dwarf Helm's Deep. If you look at the triceratpos and smaller t-rex set from the dino theme neither is above $80 and they both include a large molded dino on top of a huge vehicle (the platform would not beed to be near that big). Because of this I can't imagine Lego making an Oliphant set that is more than $60. I imagine them using a mold similar to the normal elephant they have already released, maybe slightly bigger and with the markings and a different head.

The only problem with that is it would look incredibly out of place next to most of the sets Lego has already released. It would just be too big, a Mumakil that big would totally dwarf Helm's Deep. If you look at the triceratpos and smaller t-rex set from the dino theme neither is above $80 and they both include a large molded dino on top of a huge vehicle (the platform would not beed to be near that big). Because of this I can't imagine Lego making an Oliphant set that is more than $60. I imagine them using a mold similar to the normal elephant they have already released, maybe slightly bigger and with the markings and a different head.

I think the legs need knees for poseability, like in the game. But I do suppose that something similar in height to the T Rex would work.

The current lego elephant is fiine for a mumakil, just extend the body sligthly(wich is already very possible) And start the build sligthing "into" the back of the elephant instead of filling out it's body with grey. I'd imagine it would have a fabric wrap around thing aswell.

Lego scale is always abit of a quite mish mash, and its way ok in my opinion. A proper sized mumalik in lego could end up looking grotesque.

I think they could make a bigger one with a brick buildt body, but A brick buildt head would look really bad in my opinion.

Edited by deskp

I always thought of a Minas Tirith set a three-level version with the gate and front walls, a middle level (living for citizens?), and then the citadel with the White Tree, throne room, and funeral pyre. Add in Gandalf the White with Shadowfax, Pippin (Gondor), Denethor, Faramir, 4 Gondorian soldiers, Gothmog, and some orcs with a catapult and a troll. A "battle-builder" set for $30 dollars with some orcs, a catapult, a wall, plus some Gondorians and a Rohirrim would be great. A mumak set for $40 with Legolas, two Rohirrim, and some Haradrim on a mumak would also be great. A $20 set with Eowyn, Merry, Theoden on a horse, and the Witch-King on a fellbeast would be amazing. To be honest, four waves of LotR could properly cover up everything the fans want.