CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

It'll be an expensive (but so worth it!) summer indeed. I'm planning on picking up each of the LOTR sets, including two Black Gate sets.

I've got a plan now for getting the sets I want:

1.Now to late July spent getting together money for Orthanc.

2. After Orthanc, it's open season on the other LotR sets! Black Gate (possibly x2), Rivendell and Wizard Battle are all in store for me.

3. Larger Tolkien sets (Bag-end, Goblin Town, Corsair ship) put on Christmas list. This is subject to change, however, if I can manage to get any of them prior.

Just my personal opinion but the Goblin King battle isn't worth it's bricks. :sceptic: I wish I had a do over when it comes to that set.

My plan is to finally sell off my giant tub of Bionicle stuff. If I can get half of the going price I'll be content and have enough to cover Orthanc.

Do you guys think that July might bring an LOTR themed promotion? Do they often tie in a release like this one with a month's theme or not so much?

Not unless its Star Wars usually. The best you could hope for is spend 50 or $75 and get a LotR/Hobbit themed polybag. They usually offer a bundle with all the waves sets in it for $10-20 off MSRP, or double VIB points, but your still better off getting it at Amazon when they have the inevitable mark downs for 20-30% off.

Edited by Deathleech

Do you guys think that July might bring an LOTR themed promotion? Do they often tie in a release like this one with a month's theme or not so much?

Best thing to hope for would be another minifigure with the Extended version of the bluray/dvd

All those new Lotr sets are beautiful. But my mouth felt open saying "Holy shit" out loud when I spotted the new arches in The council of Elrond set. I can't wait to see more sets in the future with different colours of this arch brick. Gothic themed building will be much more fun and cool with those parts.

I had to try and explain to my partner why I exclaimed out loud too! I'm not sure she was quite as excited as me about that one piece but like you, I'm as excited about the possibilities of that as I was by the arabic arch that arrived with Prince of Persia.

Is there any news on the hobbit sets yet?

Nope, but you should expect the first pictures during the comic con week. Hopefully we'll have rumor set list before that.

May 1st at S@H and US Brand stores!

Sorry got news yesterday that will delay the release of the sets......

I'm not sure when they will be released now, but will post when I have an assured date!

Thanks GRogall! We'll be waiting with bated breath.

I wonder how long it will be before Wal-Marts and Targets start putting last year's line on clearance.

I wonder how long it will be before Wal-Marts and Targets start putting last year's line on clearance.

I'm waiting for that so maybe I can pick up Orc Forge, Mines of Moria, abd Helm's Deep.

I'm waiting for that so hopefully I can pick up Orc Forge, Mines of Moria, and Helm's Deep.

As far as Elrond smiling... I don't picture him smiling at this point in the story line. I think more appropriate times I think he does smile are:

when his daughter gets hooked up with Ellissar (Aragorn)

when he is on the boat at the Greyhavens on his way out of Middle Earth to go over the sea

Ooooooo, I must get the wizard battle.

Awesome pics Grogal.

Rivendell is gorgeous, I wish we would see more of it later - the chances are not too high for it though.

I have a feeling that the Orthanc set is why we got a smaller LOTR wave this year, which hopefully means LEGO will make up for it next year with Gondor sets.

And I can't wait to find out the release! Thanks GRogall!

I have a feeling that the Orthanc set is why we got a smaller LOTR wave this year, which hopefully means LEGO will make up for it next year with Gondor sets.

And I can't wait to find out the release! Thanks GRogall!

I bet it is also why the first Superheroes wave this year was small, with the release of Arkham Asylum.

It would make sense.

Cost of all wave 1 LotR sets = $373

Cost of all wave 1 Hobbit sets = $300

Cost of all wave 2 LotR sets = $403

This is MSRP in the U.S., and wave 2 obviously includes Orthanc, but this shows wave 2 is actually the most expensive wave yet. I wonder if that is any indication the line is doing well? I don't see Lego investing the resources into Orthanc and making it such a big expensive set, having three designers work on it if the LotR line is doing horrible. Then again who knows, the Hobbit wave was by far the smallest which makes no sense considering it was released near Christmas and right before the film came out.

when his daughter gets hooked up with Ellissar (Aragorn)

I think there he's more like: shit my daughter is giving up her immortal life to marry a ranger

I think we are more likely to see a Hobbit themed promotion closer to when the next movie hits. July will be more a Summer movie related thing I think. The lack of markings on that Jor El polybag seems to imply that it will be an in store promotion. Plus a LR promo over the summer would not surprise.

The Rivendell set immediately moves up into my top 3 LotR/ Hobbit sets so far, joining Helm's Deep and Bag End. But then there's Orthanc and Weathertop... I suppose it's simply a great product line!

Really? I think the Rivendell set is pretty weak. The colors are nice, but it's pretty bare-bones and the minifig selection is lackluster - instead of Rivendell Arwen and a rehash Frodo, we could have had a wounded Bruinen Frodo and a travel-outfit Arwen on Asfaloth. Besides the lackluster Orcs, I think the Black Gate and Corsair Ship are far superior sets for the LOTR line. Though Helm's Deep is still the best overall for LOTR.

why wouldnt they? Theyre the same person.

I thought initially it was very clever, but now on the high res pictures you can see Saruman's beard doesn't quite cover count Dooku's beard :sceptic:

Really? I think the Rivendell set is pretty weak... the minifig selection is lackluster - instead of Rivendell Arwen and a rehash Frodo, we could have had a wounded Bruinen Frodo and a travel-outfit Arwen on Asfaloth.

So, in a low end ($40?) set we get brand new arches, foliage in new Autumn colors, an assortment of common but useful pieces, one of the iconic locations from LOTR, a "hero" minifig that has so far only appeared in much more expensive sets, a unique version of Elrond who has so far only been available as a video game promotion, and Arwen - a character who has appeared on every wish list since the first rumors of the LOTR theme started to surface.

And your complaint is that it isn't the RIGHT Arwen. :hmpf_bad:

Your opinion is, of course, your own. But this comment really illustrates that AFOLs can find something to complain about in every set that TLG make. I don't think this was a perfect set by any means, but I really don't think you can knock it for "lackluster minifig selection".