CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

This would have been a perfect hair for Gandalf, It fits fine in LDD, but sadly not with real bricks, Lego were so close to making something perfect but missed it.

I agree, that hair looks significantly better on Gandalf than the one we are getting (which doesn't look like his hair at all). I have no idea why Lego didn't originally mold his beard to fit it. It seems that is how they are with lots of things though. They could EASILY change things to make it look better, but don't. Is it an oversight by them, or just laziness? I mean why did the Hobbit Goblins have their faces show through the bottoms of their skull caps? Why haven't we gotten any different Orcs yet? I am not talking about new prints, just re-using old parts from the Castle/Hobbit waves that look similar to the stuff in the films to create "new" looking orc minfigs. And, speaking of which...

If we count the Black Gate as a Creator set then has LEGO to follow the most important requirement: No main characters in Creator sets!

-Because the people don't need an army of Gandalfs. They think it repulsive and they're beginning to seek for the required bricks at BrickLink.

Exactly! It's cool Lego is marketing the set as being able to be combined with another to create a bigger, better gate for those who wish to spend the money. It's NOT cool over half the minifigures are ones we would only want one of. Why not at least do the set like Orc Forge or Uruk-hai Army where you only include one, maybe two main characters and the rest army builders? I would of loved to see Aragorn in Gondor attire, a Gondor soldier, the Mouth of Sauron, and then 2 Mordor Orcs. That way Gandalf the White could be an exclusive and appear in a later set (Minas Tirith? :laugh: ). It would also be easier to buy two Black Gate sets instead of buying one and seriously thinking about BrickLinking the parts for the other since I really don't want anymore Gandalfs, Aragorns, Mouths, or even those mundane orcs.

Rivendell looks like a great set, and now I'm imagining future releases that could combine into a full Rivendell.

Not sure I like Arwen's hair piece. Looks kind of goofy.

Steve

Rivendell looks like a great set, and now I'm imagining future releases that could combine into a full Rivendell.

I think we will be left to MOC up a larger Rivendell. Really there are only 2 other Rivendell scenes that seem distinctive enough to make a set. The statue with the Shards of Narscil, and that high promontory with the crystal table that Elrond read the .moon Runes in the Hobbit. Everything else in Rivendell is mostly just variations on the council setting. (Dwarves eating, white council from the Hobbit, etc).

The problem is Rivendell is large, gorgeous and very very static with no real play going on. Now with that in mind, wouldn't it be cool if they started doing fictional subjects in the Architecture line? Imagine small desktop display pieces of Mina's Tirith, Rivendell, the Shire, etc or Hogworts or Mos Eisley? Avengers Mansion? Wayne Manor? the Baxter Building? Lots of possibilities.

The Rivendell set immediately moves up into my top 3 LotR/ Hobbit sets so far, joining Helm's Deep and Bag End. But then there's Orthanc and Weathertop... I suppose it's simply a great product line!

My two cents:

I think this entire wave looks fabulous. Unfortunately I have to pick and choose what I want to buy. I really, REALLY want Orthanc but at 200 USD, I don't know. If I do get Orthanc, I definitely won't need the Wizard Battle. The Council of Elrond is a must. Elrond looks fantastic. As does Arwen...but once again a licensed female minifig with those horrid cheek lines. Her hair covers them up for the most part but this is really one of my pet peeves with TLG's design of female characters. I love the half Black Gate as well but can't see myself buying two of them. The corsairs' ship looks great but meh...it's probably the one I'll sacrifice to pick up something else like Arkham Asylum or some future sets in the Super Heroes lines or this year's winter village set. TLG makes way too many great things and I make way too little money to keep up.

Oh and I too hate...absolutely hate Gandalf the Grey's hairpiece. Almost as much as I hate him with this same old wizard's hat also with no hair. If Jack Sparrow warranted a new molded hairpiece, they surely could have done the same for Gandalf (though I know the age old excuse that this line already has a lot of new molded pieces. Still Gandalf is a major character and deserved to be done right. There's still a chance if we ever get a Balrog set, that Gandalf will get a new hairpiece (or maybe hairpiece and beard combo) but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm very happy with Gandalf the White, though.

May 1st at S@H and US Brand stores!

Is it also for The Netherlands? I realy hope so.

Rivendell looks nice. But is it only me or do the ears on Arwen and Elrond look ridiculously large? This set will be awesome for parts as well! Those foliage pieces... :wub:

Edited by Speedboat

May 1st at S@H and US Brand stores!

Hm...I'd like to know if this is true or not. Now would be a great time to order too, with the Free Shipping deal going on. Though I'd probably wait until mid-May to get the Iron Man polybag...

Hm...I'd like to know if this is true or not. Now would be a great time to order too, with the Free Shipping deal going on. Though I'd probably wait until mid-May to get the Iron Man polybag...

I'm really curious as to whether this date is for Canada as well.

The colours in these sets are just great. I might buy a few just to get the orange and olive coloured leaves.

Well, May 1 is tomorrow. We'll fond out if the date is false if they don't appear on the S@H!

So, the two Black Gates. All of the sections attach via Technic pins? I assume the tower has Technic holes on either side to allow this.

The only problem I have with the combined Gates is that there isn't a central door that way. There are two on either side.

I have calculated that with Orthanc, two Black Gates, one council, and one Wizard Battle, I will be spending $422 on LotR. Yikes. LEGO is quite good at marketing, though. Otherwise, I wouldn't get anything from LotR, but Orthanc interested me in the theme. Don't even get me started on the Hobbit sets, either. Both Tolkien themes will have me bankrupt!

Edited by 8BrickMario

Well, May 1 is tomorrow. We'll fond out if the date is false if they don't appear on the S@H!

So, the two Black Gates. All of the sections attach via Technic pins? I assume the tower has Technic holes on either side to allow this.

The only problem I have with the combined Gates is that there isn't a central door that way. There are two on either side.

I have calculated that with Orthanc, two Black Gates, one council, and one Wizard Battle, I will be spending $422 on LotR. Yikes. LEGO is quite good at marketing, though. Otherwise, I wouldn't get anything from LotR, but Orthanc interested me in the theme. Don't even get me started on the Hobbit sets, either. Both Tolkien themes will have me bankrupt!

I don't like the combined gates either. I'm not going to be suckered into buying a second set just for the tower.

I don't think that adds up to that much. It should be more like 360, under 400 with tax. Still, it's going to be an expensive summer.

You're right! $200+$30+$60+$60+$12=$362, not 422! I was wrong! I am juggling about the two Black Gates. It doesn't look great with the two doors, but if it could be modded with a central pair of doors, it would be worthwhile.

Edited by 8BrickMario

Actually it is 200(Orthanc) + 100(Corsair Ship) + 60(Black Gates) + 30(Rivendell) + 13(Wizard Duel) = $403 in the U.S. then add in roughly 9% tax and that brings the total to $440...

Personal I think I am gonna wait till Amazon gets the sets and drops the price 25% like they usually do a few weeks after getting everything in. That way the entire second wave will only be around 150 and no taxes or shipping and Orthanc I will buy in October during double VIP for $20 back. That will bring the total to a much nicer $370 or so.

Edited by Deathleech

Actually it is 200(Orthanc) + 100(Corsair Ship) + 60(Black Gates) + 30(Rivendell) + 13(Wizard Duel) = $403 in the U.S. then add in roughly 9% tax and that brings the total to $440...

Personal I think I am gonna wait till Amazon gets the sets and drops the price 25% like they usually do a few weeks after getting everything in. That way the entire second wave will only be around 150 and no taxes or shipping and Orthanc I will buy in October during double VIP for $20 back. That will bring the total to a much nicer $370 or so.

That sounds so much more responsible but I will gladly pay the extra $10 to get Orthanc in July (assuming I can scrape together the dough). I may wait for Amazon's price cut for everything except the council set though. 25% of 300+ is rather significant.

Edited by Str0ngbad