CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Rivendell set looks even better now.

So the challenge has been set, next contest I enter will contain brick separators as part of the model...

New LEGO magazine showcases the Black Gate-two combined! LEGO really wants us to buy two. Why not make it a larger set? The Mouth of Sauron render looks really good...

Can someone post the picture of the combined black gate sets please?

Can someone post the picture of the combined black gate sets please?

Deskp has posted two earlier. Here they are, anyway.

2z4d7on.png

2vm606a.jpg

You know, I don't care about a Treebeard or Minas Tirith set, what we really need is a set with Sauron. Sauron being the Hero Factory/Knights Kingdom entity from the video game:

185px-Imagefgfffvfvf.jpg

Edited by 8BrickMario

Yeah, Sauron would be cool. I'll definitely be buying a black gate and Orthanc and displaying them together, even though they are completely different places in Middle-earth.

I'd much rather have a Tall minifigure Sauron, the "hero factory" Sauron is way too large to fit with the scale, Sauron is tall, he is not a giant!

I'd much rather have a Tall minifigure Sauron, the "hero factory" Sauron is way too large to fit with the scale, Sauron is tall, he is not a giant!

I agree. Using 'Woody legs' would give him the height he needs while also allowing for a little bit larger head/helmet with more details. I would probably still buy a technic or hero factory style Sauron if it was done well but not for use with the rest of this line. The question is, what set would he come in? They would have to release a prologue set. While I am afraid the odds of that are very slim, it would be a shoe-in for my favorite of the theme and if they also gave us a Gil-Galad, I just might die. *huh**oh2*:iamded_lol::ugh:

Thanks for reposting that image 8BrickMario. I'd seen them before but was curious if that was how LEGO's version looked. Did they just put gates on the outside of the towers too?

Edited by Str0ngbad

Well, you can see, in the render, two doors, and two walls on either side, with a tower on the right. I'm sure if you go to a LEGO store, you can get a magazine!

I think I now realize why the didn't give us a troll maxi fig in this set... It would be able to see over the wall.

Well, the Cave Troll is shown with the orcs and Uruk-Hai pouring out the doors in the magazine spotlight. It didn't look disproportionate, but it's CG, and therefore unreliable.

Edited by 8BrickMario

This would have been a perfect hair for Gandalf, It fits fine in LDD, but sadly not with real bricks, Lego were so close to making something perfect but missed it.

eai79k.png63yg6b.jpg

I hope we can agree Gandalf looks abit silly with the hair they gave him...

Well, you win some, you lose some. That hair is adapted fot the quiver, but not the beard. I still don't know why the Dumbledore hair even exists. It was never accurate on any licensed minifigure who had it.

Well, you win some, you lose some. That hair is adapted fot the quiver, but not the beard.

I guess, but there seems to be so little that would have needed to be done do make them fit together. It's proapblt the beard that could 'give' a little. (you could say the beard was developed first, but with that short time btween the 2 releases, I'd say they would of had time to "fix" it.)

Makes it easy for modders, but impossible for real lego sets.

FYI: Gandalfs beard in LDD is the orginaly shown model with sligthly mroe sideburn.

This would have been a perfect hair for Gandalf, It fits fine in LDD, but sadly not with real bricks, Lego were so close to making something perfect but missed it.

eai79k.png63yg6b.jpg

I hope we can agree Gandalf looks abit silly with the hair they gave him...

That does look better. If that hairpiece gets released in grey, I might just have to sand it down to fit. It does look strange to me from the back though on any character who isn't sporting a quiver

It does look strange to me from the back though on any character who isn't sporting a quiver

The cape "hump" will fill parts of that.

TLG must include instructions to revers build a second tower !?

Enjoy! :classic::classic::classic:

THAT's why I was asking for a picture earlier. Thank you GRogall! :laugh:

I'm just going to try and build a second tower rather than a whole second gate. Shouldn't be as pricey and will still look finished in my opinion.

Edited by Str0ngbad

Its not reverse build, the rocks are connected by pins aswell (I believe)

That said, I think it looks betetr the way i photoshopped it, using 2 of the doors as walls on each side. :classic:

Edited by deskp

Apart from the rocks on the side looking different (indeed, probably connected by pins), the only thing about the towers that is "reversed", mirrored or assymetrical is the flame torch location...

But the gates themselves, would it be better to modify them to open in the middle? I need to watch these movies again, it's been over a year, surely. (Although not so long since playing the computer game)

Its not reverse build, the rocks are connected by pins aswell (I believe)

Yes, You are correct, the rocks have pins.

k_79007_detail_9.jpg

Edited by GRogall

I have added more pictures to

79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

79007 Battle at the Black Gate

and this picture is really revealing!

h_79007_detail_6_800.jpg

Enjoy! :classic::classic::classic:

Finally LEGO begins with modular Creator for license themes and the people become willing to buy LEGO sets twice. :sweet:

If we count the Black Gate as a Creator set then has LEGO to follow the most important requirement: No main characters in Creator sets!

-Because the people don't need an army of Gandalfs. They think it repulsive and they're beginning to seek for the required bricks at BrickLink.

LEGO if you want to sell LEGO sets twice or more. Then you have to include only warriors or civilians into the Creator sets. I am referring to minifigures with exchangeable different faces, legs and torsos. Different accessories would be also important.

LEGO you could make it happen that the people would buying one modular Creator set (including some required instructions) several times in order to construct a complete building.

LEGO you could also release one instruction book for a huge building:

For example: The tower of Barad Dur

-Including: Sauron.

And release hereto one or two modular Creator sets. And many people would collecting those Creator sets in order to create the big tower. And additional they would receive a reasonable army.

LEGO you have to include "must have" warriors in those Creator sets alike Star Wars. -Warriors with impressive prints and accessories.

LEGO you have the opportunity to create instruction books for complete landscapes. Give us the possibility to collect your instructions and we can rebuild with several modular Creator sets complete Middle earth. :devil::grin:

Edited by Elander

Looks like Rivendell will be the only set with stickers in this wave. Hooray! Still having nightmares about applying all the ones to Mines of Moria.