CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Do you think that there might be free shipping when this is released? I really hope so, otherwise I'll have no chance of getting it. :cry_sad: 

Hmm, to calculate expenses for July 2013...

199.99 Orthanc

99.99 Corsair Black Ship

119.98 Black Gate x2 for complete Black Gate

Minimum: $420

Probably going to hold off temporarily on Rivendell because I don't desperately need Elrond and Arwen. If it was better figs than Captain Fordo and Gimlaay, I might. Palantir Battle I might grab as well, if only for the proper Palantir.

Edited by Darth Caedus

"Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning

July 2013 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO®"

does that mean it wont be sold at Walmart or Toy R Us ect?

No, it just means it will be available on S@H first. They said it with the Horizon Express too, which just showed up on Walmart. :wink:

I don't think i personally have ever seen a $200 set in a wal-mart store. They might have them online but I don't shop wal-mart online. I really only buy clearance Lego at wal-mart. If im paying full retail for a set im going to get VIP points for doing it (and getting my S&H totals high enough to qualify for the occasional cool stuff they will mail you). I spend a ton on lego now and i dont like to add to the cost with shipping or tax if I can help it.

That said... Im looking at Orthanc, several (if not 3 or 4) of the corsairs, and one of each other set... PLUS some of the castle sets, plus the modular fire brigade before they retire it, plus whatever modular is new for this year, plus whatever surprises they have in store for us makes for one expensive year. Better start on that overtime at work now.

I don't think i personally have ever seen a $200 set in a wal-mart store.

To clarify, I think they were referring to S@H sets showing up on Walmart.com. I've never seen this large of a set in-store, either.

Ya, it most definitely won't be in store, but probably will show up online at places like Walmart.com and Amazon after it has been available at Lego S@H for awhile.

Will the Orthanc tower become also a Toy's R Us exclusive set?

If yes, then I want to buy it by the next 20% discount action. :sweet:

It might be available on Toys"R"Us online eventually, but it's a bit unlikely. These usually are available on Target and Walmart.

With TRU marking stuff up the way they do you would be getting it for normal retail.

With TRU marking stuff up the way they do you would be getting it for normal retail.

Exactly. TRU should never be an option for Lego buyers unless the buyer happens to have some kind of discount, coupon, or the set in question is a TRU exclusive and the buyer has no access to a Lego store or Lego site. Even with all those considerations, the deal would have to be really good by TRU standards because of their mark-ups.

TRU is the worst place to shop for Legos. *rant over*

Edited by Hawkman

Exactly. TRU should never be an option for Lego buyers unless the buyer happens to have some kind of discount, coupon, or the set in question is a TRU exclusive and the buyer has no access to a Lego store or Lego site. Even with all those considerations, the deal would have to be really good by TRU standards because of their mark-ups.

I thought toys r us did price matching?

PREACH

I love Orthanc but I just have no idea where I would put it, nor do I have the money for that.

Eh, I remember they said that, but I don't know. I really doubt it.

Treebeard in the future because of the Ent in the Orthanc set :classic:

Thats what alot of people think, and it makes sense. If nothing else it certainly has made room for it, now we'll see if lotr makes it into wave 3.

2ccx8z.png

TRU does price match, but I don't think it applies to sales. When TRU has a sale they usually jack up the original price of the set even more than normal so a 25% off sale is really only like 5-10% off real MSRP. I don't think they will honor the MSRP value before the sale price since they are already giving it at a (very) slight discount. Sets like Helm's Deep are $130 MSRP but TRU has it for 150-160 depending if a sale is going on or not. Any other time they will price match, but why bother buying a set for MSRP from TRU when you can go just about anywhere else and get it for the same price without the hassle? Plus most other stores don't inflate MSRP prices or mark their sets up even more during sales to make the deal look much better than it actually is. Because of this I would never shop at TRU if I could get a set elsewhere for the same price or cheaper.

Hmm, to calculate expenses for July 2013...

199.99 Orthanc

99.99 Corsair Black Ship

119.98 Black Gate x2 for complete Black Gate

Minimum: $420

Probably going to hold off temporarily on Rivendell because I don't desperately need Elrond and Arwen. If it was better figs than Captain Fordo and Gimlaay, I might. Palantir Battle I might grab as well, if only for the proper Palantir.

It's not a half of the Black Gate so why do you need two?

It's not a half of the Black Gate so why do you need two?

It is half. I'm content with one since it won't be staying on display but LEGO is counting on a few people buying it twice. They even suggest it in the product description.

I find it a little odd that the US price is $200 but here in Canada we have to pay an extra $50. Makes no sense. Still, I believe the set is well worth it.

When I originally saw the set I thought it looked too small to be the gate.. Putting two together makes sense, but is a cheap way to increase sales by TLG. (And I don't mean cheap for the consumer)

I find it a little odd that the US price is $200 but here in Canada we have to pay an extra $50. Makes no sense. Still, I believe the set is well worth it.

It's everlasting question why Lego is much cheaper in US than everywhere else...

It used to be due to currency fluctuation. There have been times in the recent past that the us/Canada conversion was 70%ish so you would see (especially in books CDs etc) the dual pricing. Currently the conversion is 1us dollar to 1.02 Canadian dollars. This isn't always the case and I think somehow it is due to this. It could change again making the MSRP make more sense.

It used to be due to currency fluctuation. There have been times in the recent past that the us/Canada conversion was 70%ish so you would see (especially in books CDs etc) the dual pricing. Currently the conversion is 1us dollar to 1.02 Canadian dollars. This isn't always the case and I think somehow it is due to this. It could change again making the MSRP make more sense.

Lego has really stupid price policy. For example 9526 costs 60 GBP in UK and over 80 GPB in Denmark and Poland. Not to mention US

Consider that Othanc costs 200 usd in US and 270 in UK and much more in Denmark