CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

You can also see both versions here:

Is it just me, or does the legged version make him look like he is a Wedding DJ from New Jersey to anybody else? Or the base player for the Holiday Inn's house band?

Okay... so, after a closer look...

I'm not sure if the Ent is meant to be Treebeard. The press release only says "Ent", not "Treebeard" and it looks bulkier than the video game's version. So there's still some possibility we might see him.

As for the set itself, I especially like the interior. Those small details like the portraits are really nice, and they've recreated some of the scenes with the bomb-making area and the main room.

Minorish complaint, though, I thought the Palantír was blue. And although the piece in The Wizard Battle isn't perfect, I would've preferred that in Orthanc. Oh well.

Awesomeness! To bad I probably won't be able to get $200 together to spend on one set before it's discontinued. :/

I almost wish they HADN'T included him just to keep the price closer to $160 like Arkham Asylum was. They could of released an Ent set later for $20 bucks or so...

I second that. . .

The best surprise is the Ent. He looks amazing. While this likely means they will not make a Treebeard set (this Ent looks enough like Treebeard to pass, and can be slightly adjusted for more accuracy), I'm happy to see how wonderfully LEGO has made the Ent.

To me it says the exact opposite. Why would Lego purposely make a generic Ent instead of Treebeard, unless they plan to do a Treebeard set later (and include Merry and Pippin in it)? They could of easily made the Orthanc Ent into Treebeard if they don't plan on making him in another set. I mean why else would they purposely pass up an easy way to include a main supporting character unless they plan to give him his own set later on?

I thought the Palantír was blue.

I think they are trying to make it look different for when the different characters look into it and see different things?

Is it just me, or does the legged version make him look like he is a Wedding DJ from New Jersey to anybody else? Or the base player for the Holiday Inn's house band?

A little bit, ya. Another thing to note, as TheLegoDr pointed out in the press release thread, the printing on his skirt and torso don't seem to match up in the pictures. Kinda lame if that's how he actually turns out looking. I dunno why Lego would make high rez pictures using a flawed print.

To me it says the exact opposite. Why would Lego purposely make a generic Ent instead of Treebeard, unless they plan to do a Treebeard set later (and include Merry and Pippin in it)? They could of easily made the Orthanc Ent into Treebeard if they don't plan on making him in another set.

Exactly- a Treebeard set has to be around the corner. It would be insane of Lego not to make Treebeard, so they gave us a generic one with Orthanc to go alongside him in the future. Clever marketing strategy.

Dangit, I wish it was $50 more and actually had all four sides. It was a weird choice to make it 3-sided when they could have built a fourth side and had it swing open...sigh.

Still, the interior is very awesome. Probably going to get it.

I think that is exactly why Lego didn't though - to keep the price down. For a lot of people the back side isn't that big of a deal since the model sits on a shelve and no one will see the back anyways. The extra 50 bucks would of been for little gain to them. The set looks fairly easy to mod too, so if you really want to make it have walls on every side you have the option to invest some extra money in pieces and make it happen.

Exactly, you can have it as a display model or a playset. If it was complete it would cost heaps more, but as it is you can put it against a wall and not know the difference.

I love this set, but of course, the same orc again...

My guess in AUD is $270-300? I just set myself a record for most expensive new set on Monday with the Haunted House, looks like it'll be broken soon!

My least favorite feature of the set is the Eagle. I know it's the same one as in the Black Gate set, but I didn't realize how puny and pathetic it was until I saw the pics of Gandalf riding it's back. It is literally like a third or fourth the size it should be as seen in the film. At the very least Lego should have made it double it's current size. As is it looks ridiculous. So far the molded creatures like the Cave Troll, Goblin King, and Wargs have been pretty darn good so it's a bit disappointing to see this Eagle. Sure the Wargs were a little fat compared to their Hobbit counter parts, but they still looked good.

Besides the inadequate size, the Eagle also has next to no pose-ability. Sure the wings flap.. but that's it. Why not make it's legs move, or at the very least it's neck move and it's beak open and close? I am glad we are getting another Eagle because I plan on getting 2 Black Gate sets and Orthanc which will be 3 Eagles total and all I wanted, I just wish it would of been a little more imposing and majestic like the Eagles are in the films.

Edited by Deathleech

Just checked prices for the X-Wing, which is also $200 USD, and $280 AUD. So $280 AUD for Orthanc is a good estimate. Aussie prices are coming down! :sweet::moar:

I like the Orthanc tower!

The design is appropriat and there are some rare accessories included. The colors are almost to the original and it contains some options for playability

Do you know LEGO's charges (costs) regarding new minifigure printing or molding for new accessories (like helmets) respectively for a new armor?

Because I would like to see further orcs. :sweet::thumbup:

I am in love. I'll have to pass on this summer's other LOTR sets to get it, but to me this is by far the best set in the theme so far, and the first set in any theme this year that I HAVE to have.

I'm glad it's not enclosed. I think if they'd made all four sides, it would either come at the expense of the wonderful interior or cost $50 more. That would just be too much for me.

Minifig-wise, not the greatest selection ever, but reasonable. I love Wormtongue and the robe for Saruman. Christopher Lee is built like a stork and towers over everyone, so this is a perfect representation of him! I'm as disappointed as everyone about the orcs, but at least we get new White Hand pieces to go with the Uruks.

Loving the Ent. It adds a lot to the set, and I believe it all but confirms my prediction that Treebeard himself will be coming in his own set, probably a store exclusive that has yet to be revealed. Treebeard, Merry and Pippin smoking up in an Isengard storeroom - it's the perfect accompaniment to this magnificent tower.

Thank you TLG! Now where's the White City? :-P

I wasent going to get this set because I didn't think it was going to have an interior, but after seeing these pictures i'm going to have no choice but to get this set. Its sought of like the Death star of lord of the rings.

*oh2* !!!!! *oh2*

This set looks way better than I expected. Though I have no idea where I can find an extra $200... :cry_sad:

-Sci

Though I have no idea where I can find an extra $200... :cry_sad:

-Sci

I'm gonna try to find a damaged box in the Lego store near me. 30% off would be a nice $60 discount!

One day later and I'm still giddy about this thing! Boy, did they knock it out of the park with this one. :laugh:

One day later and I'm still giddy about this thing! Boy, did they knock it out of the park with this one. :laugh:

I know! This set is gonna be a hit for lego! I'm excited! :grin:

Just a thought but if you displayed it with gandalf being rescued by the eagle then how the devil would you get the eagle displayed up next to the top of the tower!!! You'd have to make a 28 inch tower of translucent cylinder/column pieces. It would be quite an amusing sight! A leaning monstorous tower of translucent blocks with a tiny eagle perched precariously on top of it :laugh::grin: Imagine what would happen if it fell over it would take out the top section of the tower on the way down!! :laugh_hard:

I like the Orthanc tower!

Do you know LEGO's charges (costs) regarding new minifigure printing or molding for new accessories (like helmets) respectively for a new armor?

Because I would like to see further orcs. :sweet::thumbup:

The costs will depend on exactly what they are trying to do. Just as some examples;

Printing;

- The costs for new prints on minifigures will be fairly negligable. Just part of the normal set design process. The minifigs are a uniform design and they have machines designed that print directly on the torso's and heads. At this point they probably do not need any special setup or printing masks. The machinery will print right on the figs much like an inkjet printer. The only complexities will be things like metalics or non torso/head fig parts such as legs arms or special head accesories and hair. Other than that the only real costs are the art and design time and validation tests. (keep in mind I am sure each set has a given budget of "artist time". Reusing figs allows them to make better use of that time budget in other ways for a set. ie using the same orc gives us a better and nicer new Saruman, who is more the focus of the set.)

- Printing on other parts will often involve creating printing masks or a specialy printing pad. Which probably cost several grand per print design, but will vary based on the shape needed. (Straight flat masks aren't bad, complex curves such as horse or cow body prints need more design work. This is much cheaper than a new part, but does have some costs associated with it.

Parts;

- New mold tooling costs between $80,000 and $300,000 USD. The low end will be shorter life span molds designed for the softer rubbery plastic, and for parts with a lot less required precision, such as minifig hair or tools. (Things that do not have multiple connection points) The higher end costs are for the true precision molds that make up the bricks and building elements. These molds tend to have a much longer lifespan and are designed for hotter plastic that is under higher pressure. Wherever possible they will seek to amortize the high costs of new tooling across multiple sets or product lines. The more they can spread the use of the part around, the less it costs per set.

I know! This set is gonna be a hit for lego! I'm excited! :grin:

I sure hope that this set is a hit for them. It will enhance the possibilities of Minas Tirith(or other large set, but this comes to mind first) I would think. If a $200 LotR sets sells well, they may bring on a bigger set. If this set were to lag in sales, you would have to think that a larger set would be shelved as it would be too big a risk for them.

"Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning

July 2013 via shop.LEGO.com, LEGO®"

does that mean it wont be sold at Walmart or Toy R Us ect?

^ I'm not too sure about America but if I was to say so I would say that it will only be a lego exclusive and only available from s@h or there official stores or discovery centres :classic:

Just a thought but if you displayed it with gandalf being rescued by the eagle then how the devil would you get the eagle displayed up next to the top of the tower!!! You'd have to make a 28 inch tower of translucent cylinder/column pieces. It would be quite an amusing sight! A leaning monstorous tower of translucent blocks with a tiny eagle perched precariously on top of it :laugh::grin: Imagine what would happen if it fell over it would take out the top section of the tower on the way down!! :laugh_hard:

modify the top of the tower and build with one of those translucent beam thingys that those mini podracers came with, sticking out (if not long enough, use two) then attach the eagle onto the end of that?

Edited by Javert