CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Those sets look amazing (parts/figs wise), but why oh why do they have to make that cool Gandolf hair and beard one piece? Now I'm going to have to get an extra to fix it :look:

I know and I'm afraid Saruman is going to be the same way. :sceptic: I don't understand why they didn't just give us his old beard in white and then a new hairpiece but it still looks great. I won't be ashamed to get out my exacto knife and some glue.

I wonder if Gandalf and the Elves new hairpieces will be ABS or rubber? It seems most of the new long haired molds that have shown up recently are only in rubber now (Friends, Lone Ranger, Collectible Minifigures)

I wonder if Gandalf and the Elves new hairpieces will be ABS or rubber? It seems most of the new long haired molds that have shown up recently are only in rubber now (Friends, Lone Ranger, Collectible Minifigures)

Is that rubber hair strong enough to press down the white robe/cap?

Is that rubber hair strong enough to press down the white robe/cap?

They will all be rubber, and yes its quite strong, perhaps you would want to pre fold the cape with ur fingers or something so it doesent keep the hair bending.

Edited by deskp

Somehow I feel Lego is finally catching the train with this theme. Thanks to Grogall and his freaking Palantír!

Thanks for the HighRes pictures! Partswise, both sets really appeal to me, but I'll probably only pick those sets up without the figs on ebay or at a considerable discount. What I'm really waiting for at this point are quality pictures of the Rivendell set. :wub:

Wait, so there is a secret entrance through the Black Gate? If only Frodo and Sam had known that, they could have saved themselves about six hundred pages of slogging around, not to mention being envenomed by Shelob and captured by Orcses. The movies would have been three hours shorter. Nice forward thinking on TLG's part. This way, if the whole theme gets cancelled early and hordes of outraged AFOLs are screaming for blood because they never got a Minas Tirith set, TLG can say, "well, you don't really need Minas Tirith because in our version of the story the heroes snuck in through the secret entrance and most of Return of the King never happened." :wink:

But at any rate, the sets look totally sweet. Hope I can find the money to buy them both.

Wait, so there is a secret entrance through the Black Gate? If only Frodo and Sam had known that, they could have saved themselves about six hundred pages of slogging around, not to mention being envenomed by Shelob and captured by Orcses. The movies would have been three hours shorter.

Haha, just realized that. TLG should have produced the films.

EDIT: How much modding would have to be done to combine two black gates? I'll buy two but can someone help me on where to MOD?

Edited by Tolkien

EDIT: How much modding would have to be done to combine two black gates? I'll buy two but can someone help me on where to MOD?

the gates and rocks and towers clicks in palce with eachother so its easily swappabla and moveablea nd moddable. the baseplate situation for the extra wall section wont be easiy modable though, so if you want a base on all of it you will proapbly need some extra shorter plates, and be left with some spares.

1 set contains:

1 left side rock

1 right side rock

1 left side gate

1 right side gate

1 tower

1 gate base

Edited by deskp

You may not have to MOD it at all because on the Kmart page the lego description says 'combine 2 sets to have even bigger battles', it would be good if lego provided official instructions on how to combine the 2 gates. (They may provide more instructions online) :classic:

I'll definitely be getting two of the Black Gate sets right out of the gate (pun intended :laugh: ), and I'll probably look into getting a second Corsair ship when there's a sale. I only wish that the Council of Elrond included some army-builder minifigs, since it would be great to get multiples of that one as well.

That eagle mold seems pretty awesome. And are those olive helmets :drool:?

On the Army of the Dead you mean? I think, and hope, they're sand green. Olive would be a great color to get too though.

Edited by Str0ngbad

Unless Lego is officially transitioning over to all rubber, it's hard to say. So far the line has been pretty mixed. ALL the wave 1 LotR sets had hard plastic (orc ears and hair, elf ears and hair, helmets, human hair, etc.). In the first Hobbit wave it was mixed almost right down the middle with some dwarves having the soft molded hair/hats and others having the hard plastic type. The bald goblin caps were all soft plastic and all existing pieces were hard left hard (Tauriel/Legolas re-used hair, Gandalf's hat, Bilbo re-used hair).

As for the sets, now that I see them in hi rez I really have mixed feelings. I would love to get two Black Gate sets to connect them, but their are so many figures in the set I really don't need or want multiples of (Gandalf the White, Aragorn, and the Mouth). Then again 2 more Orcs is always nice, as are another black pose-able horse and the greater eagle. I will probably just wait till Amazon gets them and has the inevitable 15-25% off and buy the two I will open then (2 for $90 vs 1 for $60). The Corsair ship looks nice and has some nice parts, but with over half the figures being rehashes and only 3 Undead and 1 Corsair it's hard to justify spending the $100 on it. It's made even harder by the fact pirate ships don't really excite me that much, nor did the Corsairs or undead in the movie.

I still can't help but feel really disappointed with the Orc selection this time around. Lego didn't even have to make a SINGLE new mold, they could of used ALL existing parts to create some minifigures that much better represent the orcs seen in these scenes. Use this helm in a gray, the Moria Orc body(with different colored arms and a slight print change to the green) and then use a mixture of Moria Orc and Hobbit Goblin faces and hands and you pretty much have EXACT representations of the orcs without having to create a single new piece. Instead we got more exact same Mordor Orcs we did before with Uruk-hai armor on. It just reeks of laziness.

Edited by Deathleech

I have to agree with you, Deathleech. This would have been the perfect opportunity to release some new Orcs. But what do we get? The same old Orc minifigs.....with one wearing an Uruk-hai helmet?! Ugh.... :hmpf_bad:

I bet Gandalf's is rubber judging by the shape of it. I'm really hoping the elves' hair is ABS though.

I understand the disappointment with the orcs but it still doesn't bother or surprise me. The fact that LEGO called them 'Mordor Orcs' from the beginning makes me feel like they planned on be reusing those for everything Mordor related, otherwise they could have been 'Isengard orcs' They've only been in one set so far and it was a hard-to-find so why not. Plus, they'll be easier to buy off of Bricklink than some new exclusive would be. I'm not saying you guys are wrong to be disappointed, just why I'm not. I AM a little disappointed that they're giving us another baldie though. :/

Edited by Str0ngbad

I bet Gandalf's is rubber judging by the shape of it. I'm really hoping the elves' hair is ABS though.

The elves hair is rubber. there are pictures of Elrond minifig with one of his hair THINGIES sticking out to the side.

I think the rubber works well.

I just ordere Battle at the Black Gate!! I'll be picking it up on my way home from class this evening, assuming it's ready for pickup by then. :laugh:

Looks like K-Mart is trying the old bait and swap. My receipt for the purchases says "The Lord of the Ringsâ„¢ Battle at the Black Gate" and the order pick up confirmation says "Lord of the Ringsâ„¢ Attack on Weathertopâ„¢" Time to call!

It looks like Kmart is being decieving us with their false advetising of their products, which is highly illegal in the US (as well as Canada), so I say shame on them!! :angry:

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

It looks like Kmart is being decieving us with their false advetising of their products, which is highly illegal in the US (as well as Canada), so I say shame on them!! :angry:

I'm sure somehwere on their site theres an disclaimer that says errors may occur or something, wich absolves them of llegal stuff.

Speaking as one who was "deceived" (to put it in Good Cragger Fan's words) by Kmart, it's really not worth getting worked up over. And I highly doubt there was anything illegal involved -- just a premature product listing.

From talking with the store manager it is a system glitch. The SKU's for Weathertop and Black Gate get put in the same spot in the store on the shelf. So essentially they have two SKU's to the same K-Mart product code creating the mishap. So online they put Black Gate, Weathertop has the same K-Mart code so it get given because that is all they have.

Decent, but unspectacular sets. The minifigures and accessories seems to be the absolutely highlights here. I'll still be getting both though, once a nice discount hits.