CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Well considering I have hundreds of DVDs, I don't really feel like upgrading them all to Blu-Ray as that would cost thousands upon thousands of dollars. Not only that, most new Blu-Ray films run around 10 dollars more than the DVD counterpart. That is a pretty significant amount when you consider a DVD is only 15 bucks anyways. That's almost a 100% increase in price.

Also Blu-Ray was in under 30% of U.S. households by the end of 2012 so no, "everybody in the U.S." doe NOT have Blu-Ray. Far from it in fact. It seems most people don't find the rather heavy price worth the slightly increased quality. That and a lot of people stream videos from providers like Netflix and Amazon now.

New blurays don't have that price differential anymore. It's often under 5 dollars or less - for instance, the Game of Thrones season 2 dvd was available on Amazon for 24.99, and the dvd + bluray combo pack for 29.99. It used to be a much larger difference, but that's not really the case anymore. I have no intention of upgrading my entire collection, but for new films that I care about, bluray is the way to go.

New blurays don't have that price differential anymore. It's often under 5 dollars or less - for instance, the Game of Thrones season 2 dvd was available on Amazon for 24.99, and the dvd + bluray combo pack for 29.99. It used to be a much larger difference, but that's not really the case anymore. I have no intention of upgrading my entire collection, but for new films that I care about, bluray is the way to go.

They still have that price difference, it's just that you usually can get them on sale somewhere. Loot at the Hobbit. The DVD version is $28.99 MSRP and the Blu-Ray combo pack is $35.99. Amazon has them for an 8 dollar difference with their reduced prices. Right now Game of Thrones season 2 is only a 5 dollar difference on Amazon, but the MSRP difference is $20.

I'm not really too interested in that Bilbo minifig, and if extended editions ARE coming out I will defer to those. If I wait but they aren't, oh well, no big loss.

I bought a Blu Ray drive for my computer 3 years ago (originally to watch The Clone Wars) and I have to say that the difference in quality is as much as from VHS->DVD :thumbup: (how noticeable does depend on what it was originally filmed in obviously). I only have a 24" screen. I have no intention to buy DVDs ever again (except for old releases that may never come out on BluRay). And BDs aren't that much more expensive now, in fact DVD prices are deliberately LOWERED because people won't want them anymore fairly soon. Same as what happened for VHS, vinyl records & audio cassette tapes. (CDs are going that way too.) When a new format is released it is a higher price than everything else until it becomes common, then prices come down to normal. The price of the older format is reduced until it is no longer used. I remember when you could get a movie on VHS for $25-30 or on DVD for $10 more. Later, it was DVD $25-30 and VHS for cheap. After then, BD for $10 more. Now, BD for $25-30 and DVD for cheap. Does anyone still buy VHS? What am I saying? You guys may not have BD player or discs yet, but you probably will, and right now you sound to me the same as the people who whined about not having a DVD player 10 years ago. :laugh: And I don't have a 3D TV so to some people I might be the next one to sound like that in a few years :grin: ...

You are ofcourse entitled to your opinion, but calling Blu-ray the biggest rip off since Beta is way out of the question, just because you don't have a HD television to experience It's potential. And no one forces you to buy your DVD collection to Blu-ray, since there are Blu-ray players that just plays DVD's and upscale them properly to HD. LotR (and the upcoming The Hobbit) are a treat to my eyes with Blu-ray on HD television.

I made sure to state that it was indeed my opinion, as I have friends that swear by Blu-Ray. I was unaware of the Blu-Rays that played DVDs - this could make a huge difference on my views of Blu-Rays.

BACK ON SUBJECT (i should not have added fuel to the dvd-blu-ray debate :blush: )

I would expect Orthanc to come with 3 - 6 figures, with Saruman the only certainty. I could see a couple options for the figures that would accompany Saruman:

Grima, Gandalf, Merry & Pippin

Gandalf and Radagast (very unlikely though)

TreeBeard, Merry & Pipin (I don't expect this set to come with an Ent sadly)

King and Queen of Gondor, Gandalf, Elrond and a sprinkling of Hobbits (I find this very unlikely as well)

^ All Blu-ray players can play DVDs, just to clarify.

Which king and queen of Gondor are you referring to, rogueang? I think the most likely minifig selection that you mentioned would be simply Grima, Gandalf, Saruman, Merry and Pippin. Even then, I have my doubts about Merry and Pippin.

In my opinion, the most likely lineup would be something like this: Saruman, Grima Wormtongue, Lurtz, Gandalf, Uruk-hai x2, Mordor Orc x1

It looks like the finale to the Hobbit trilogy, "There and Back Again", is being pushed to a December 2014 release date: http://collider.com/...n-release-date/

This might actually be great news, as far as LotR sets go! There may be room to squeeze in another wave in summer 2014.

WOOHOO! YES!

It doesn't break the middle-earth December tradition, and hopefully we'll get some more LOTR sets! I just hope LEGO didn't plan out that far to not have a wave...

^ Summer 2014 is still roughly a year and a half away, so I would think there's definitely time to get another LotR wave prepped and released by then. :laugh:

And I completely agree about the December tradition! I'm so glad they've decided to continue that.

Edited by The_Chosen_1

I was building Barrel Escape when I noticed something odd. The instructions tell you to put a 3 stud high bar on Oin's staff, and a 4 on Gloin's small axe. I was confused because Gimli has the same axe as his father but his is a 3. Is this right?

Yes! This gives me a lot more hope for Minas Tirith and other Gondor sets in the future.

It looks like the finale to the Hobbit trilogy, "There and Back Again", is being pushed to a December 2014 release date: http://collider.com/...n-release-date/

This might actually be great news, as far as LotR sets go! There may be room to squeeze in another wave in summer 2014.

Good to Know will get another LotR wave but i think its not worth the wait for the hobbit :(

I too am glad at the news of a December 2014 Hobbit release, as it gives us hope for an extra LotR wave. As for any minifigs in the Orthanc set, I assume the set would be expensive as it is, without needing to jack up the price with figs, though I would like to see a Grima fig. I dont intend to get the set either way.

God I hope this means another summer LOTR wave...

I was building Barrel Escape when I noticed something odd. The instructions tell you to put a 3 stud high bar on Oin's staff, and a 4 on Gloin's small axe. I was confused because Gimli has the same axe as his father but his is a 3. Is this right?

I checked all my instructions and right you are. I never noticed.

you shouldn't be posting Lego stuff in the Blu-ray / DVD discussion forum, mods will be angry.

(another wave, hell yeah!)

(The third and final film in Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy will not be getting a summer release as previously planned. Warner Bros. has changed The Hobbit: There and Back Again’s release date from July 18, 2014 to Dec. 17, 2014, EW has confirmed.

Now I think that´s really very good chance to see third wave of LOTR sets :blush:

Edited by pathas

I had meant Aragorn and Arwenin royal attire.

Why? I'd love to have them but were they ever at Orthanc for something I'm not remembering?

Why? I'd love to have them but were they ever at Orthanc for something I'm not remembering?

They weren't, not even in the Extended Edition. I can only see them released in a down-sized Minas Tirith White Tower set which could still be very unlikely.

They both were there in the book at a point.

For Aragorn to take back the keys of Orthanc, yes. Other than that the scene basically has no relevance or importance.

For Aragorn to take back the keys of Orthanc, yes. Other than that the scene basically has no relevance or importance.

Oooooh, I did forget. That would be a very surprising and pleasing move.

I had meant Aragorn and Arwenin royal attire.

To be honest I don't want to see another Arwen minifigure until we get Galadriel and both an armoured and regular Eowyn.

I doubt lego would make sets based on the book ,just the movies.

I doubt lego would make sets based on the book ,just the movies.

Generally, I agree with you but their inclusion of Tom Bombadil in the video game makes me think it is very possible that they could give us a nod at the books sooner or later.

I think it is correct - Gloin doesn't have to have the exact same weapons as Gimli, and I liked the fact that there was just a slight difference, just to differentiate. From pictures, it looks like Gimli has a single-headed 4L axe in "Council Of Elrond", which would match with Gloin's. Keep in mind Gimili carries about 9 axes with him in the story :classic:

I have the DVD Extended Edition of LOTR, but my Blu-Ray doesn't play them... :(