CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I said we know we will get one more Hobbit line because it's been confirmed. A third wave after that based on the last movie hasn't been confirmed yet, though it is more than likely. I just wonder if the license Lego bought will still be going by the time the third movie is released considering when they got the license only two movies were planned. If it expires and the lines not doing terribly well they may not choose to renew it, though I hope this isn't the case.

I would say we know for sure that we'l get TWO more hobbit waves, one for the second movie ("The Desolation of Smaug") and another one for the third and final movie ("There and back again"). After that, we'll see. As for the LOTR line, I sincerely don't know for how long it is going to live, but AFOL collectors enjoy it a lot, MOC'ers (Pirate and Castle) enjoy it a lot, as for kids. I actually think they're more likely to prefer to get something they see on a movie, like the hobbit.

I don't know that we know that for sure. Remember Lego was originally rigged and planned out for 2 movies, not 3. Jackson added the third at the last minute, and messed up all of the licensed producers release schedules big time. How badly did that hurt sales for the two released elf sets? Not to say what it did for all the Tauriel action figures? To get sets to coincide with that third movie now Lego has to completely rework their production schedule and plans. Either push some planned sets back, and simply release two half sized waves (which we would rant and rave about) or cobble together some new stuff to fluff 2 releases to three, and displace another theme somewhere else in order to free up run time. (Remember Lego plans stuff years out.)

I am sure Lego will make a decision on whether to go all in for the last movie based on how the first did in sales. Which by most observations seems erratic. With some sets being top sellers (unexpected gathering) and some being disappointing (riddles for the ring).

While it's a nice looking tower, we already are getting Saruman and Gandalf in the Wizard Duel. That covers a nice chunk of the Orthanc-related minifigures and a good piece of the interior.

Why are excisting minifigures such a problem for a probably huge set like Orctanc? I don't care If I get enother Saruman with It, I want the building Itself. Minifigures are nice and good, but the main set is what I'm looking most forward too.

Why are excisting minifigures such a problem for a probably huge set like Orctanc? I don't care If I get enother Saruman with It, I want the building Itself. Minifigures are nice and good, but the main set is what I'm looking most forward too.

Well it wouldn't be if Orthanc had more major characters that could be included in the set. Unfortunately it doesn't though, and the only named character that would fit and we have yet to see is Womrtongue. We have already seen the orcs released in multiple sets, Gandalf the Gray in several, Saruman will be in the Wizard Duel, and Lurtz was in the Orc Forge. We could maybe get the Wild Men, but considering they see like 3 seconds of film time I doubt it.

Personally I would rather get something like Minas Tirith where we could get TONS of new exclusive figures not yet released in any other set. The possibilities are near endless. Faramir, Eowyn, Denethor, Pippin in Gondor attire, the Witch King, Gothmog, Mountain Trolls, Gondor Soldiers, etc. I also think a Minas Tirith would have a lot more play features and would look more visually appealing. Of course this is all just my personal opinion, but ya. I will say if they included the Ents the Orthanc set could be significantly more appealing to me personally. If not it's basically just a tower with little minifigure appeal which while cool, isn't the most interesting in the LotR franchise (at least imo).

Well it wouldn't be if Orthanc had more major characters that could be included in the set. Unfortunately it doesn't though, and the only named character that would fit and we have yet to see is Womrtongue. We have already seen the orcs released in multiple sets, Gandalf the Gray in several, Saruman will be in the Wizard Duel, and Lurtz was in the Orc Forge. We could maybe get the Wild Men, but considering they see like 3 seconds of film time I doubt it.

Personally I would rather get something like Minas Tirith where we could get TONS of new exclusive figures not yet released in any other set. The possibilities are near endless. Faramir, Eowyn, Denethor, Pippin in Gondor attire, the Witch King, Gothmog, Mountain Trolls, Gondor Soldiers, etc. I also think a Minas Tirith would have a lot more play features and would look more visually appealing. Of course this is all just my personal opinion, but ya. I will say if they included the Ents the Orthanc set could be significantly more appealing to me personally. If not it's basically just a tower with little minifigure appeal which while cool, isn't the most interesting in the LotR franchise (at least imo).

ENTS or Treebeard most likely. Would make the Orthanc set

But do agree with the rather having Minas Tirith or even Minas Morgul

Edited by jmagaletta

I don't know that we know that for sure. Remember Lego was originally rigged and planned out for 2 movies, not 3. Jackson added the third at the last minute, and messed up all of the licensed producers release schedules big time.

(...)

With some sets being top sellers (unexpected gathering) and some being disappointing (riddles for the ring).

You're right hadn't seen things that way, but in any case, I think that Lego wil never ditch the licence before producing some sets based on the third movie. As for the sets you mentioned, I actually think that Gandalf's Arrival and Riddles for the Ring are two of the best sets of each line. I would choose Gandalf's arrival over Mines of Moria, easily. Clever design, reproduces the scene faithfully. The same thing for Riddles.. had more pleasure building that than the Goblin King, which I'm still trying to finish but find boring as hell.

I thought Riddles for the Ring is a great little set. I really liked Gandalf's cart too. They represent their scene perfectly, unlike some other sets. *cough Goblin King cough*

I thought Riddles for the Ring is a great little set. I really liked Gandalf's cart too. They represent their scene perfectly, unlike some other sets. *cough Goblin King cough*

Goblin King is a poor achievement but again, this is one of the rare cases where the flagship set is not the most expensive one. Bag End clearly is a winner. I would really like to see more hobbiton sets, but I guess not.

It really is a pleasant and clever build. The last time I felt this I was a kid and I was building this, which is, for me, the best lego set I've ever got.

As for the sets you mentioned, I actually think that Gandalf's Arrival and Riddles for the Ring are two of the best sets of each line. I would choose Gandalf's arrival over Mines of Moria, easily. Clever design, reproduces the scene faithfully. The same thing for Riddles.. had more pleasure building that than the Goblin King, which I'm still trying to finish but find boring as hell.

I strongly disagree with you. First off the minifigures in Gandalf Arrives and Riddles for the Ring are available in numerous other sets. Most of those sets have a lot more going for them too (other exclusive minifigs, more interesting designs/locations, etc.). If you are looking at it from a purely minifigure perspective there is next to no reason to buy Gandalf Arrives or Riddles for the Ring.

As for the builds, Gandalf Arrives is also really poor imo. The wagon only fits one character in the front and doesn't fold down in the back. It has some fun pieces and is a fairly cheap way to get the new horse, but that's about it. As for Riddles for the Ring.. it's a rock that flips out a ring and a tiny, ugly boat. I am sorry, but that's beyond boring to me. Sure Mines of Moria is missing a few walls but it still captures the essence of the scene nearly perfectly. You get a great mold of the Cave Troll and all the important features from the movie scene (skeleton falling in the well, tomb flipping, pillars crumbling, etc.). Not to mention its one of the few sets actually done to minifigure scale and not scaled down to ridiculous proportions. I think people just like to bash on it simply because it's not a fully enclosed set and as such isn't t the best for display.

Edited by Deathleech

I think people just like to bash on it simply because it's not a fully enclosed set and isn't t the best display as such

The reason why I dislike that set is because i don't consider the building process to be pleasant, or motivating, compared to other sets. In that aspect, I consider the two little sets to be more appealing, as building experiences, but I understand your argument, and the scale issue sure is a win, but not enough for me to recommend that set to someone.

I strongly disagree with you. First off the minifigures in Gandalf Arrives and Riddles for the Ring are available in numerous other sets.

Actually, that's not completely true. The Gollum minifigure in Riddles for the Ring is unique, and unless you can track down the Frodo polybag it's the only other way to get that minifig.

So damn true. I finally ordered helms deep set few days ago. I wanted it for weeks, but could not commit myself. I really love the scene and building,looking forward to mod it and making it even more epic!

What's the twist? If you ask me what mini figs I get with it I won't be able to name them all! Last thing I care about in set are mini figs.

If the tower will have only one mini fig , I won't care. I just really love that tower! :sweet:

Actually, that's not completely true. The Gollum minifigure in Riddles for the Ring is unique, and unless you can track down the Frodo polybag it's the only other way to get that minifig.

Frodo's Cooking Corner is STILL available at TRU.com and I see them in stores every time I go. I wouldn't exactly call it rare or hard to find unless you are in a country that it straight up wasn't available in (in which case you can still get it on BL for around $2+ shipping for just the minifig, or under $4 for the whole poly). Plus, Frodo is in several other sets, albeit in a different outfit.

Gollum technically IS exclusive to each set, but it's such a minor difference it's really hard to justify calling him exclusive. Wider eyes and slightly more opened mouth isn't exactly a must buy for him, both figs looks sinister and evil.. very Gollum-esque.

Edited by Deathleech

How did Orthanc suddenly becomes cancelled? How quickly speculation becomes gospel. I look forward to seeing Orthanc later on this year.

I was going to say I've never seen Frodo's cooking corner around here (I'm in Nebraska). So while yes it is available in a polybag form and you can get Gandalf elsewhere, I'm glad I picked up the Gandalf Arrives set because I otherwise would not have that version of Frodo. It is very spot-on compared to the source material. As far as ordering a $5 polybag from TRU plus shipping, doesn't make a lot of sense. And it actually can't be shipped according to that page, only pick up in store (which was never carried around me).

How did Orthanc suddenly becomes cancelled? How quickly speculation becomes gospel. I look forward to seeing Orthanc later on this year.

Now I'm starting to wonder if Orthanc was cancelled...

I collect both SW and LOTR. This announcement sucks. Would have much rather a had an Orthanc. TLG dropped the ball.

If TLG cancels Orthanc I will be extremely mad. Extremely mad. Especially if they gave it up for a stupid re-release from the one theme that everyone's sick and tired of getting re-releases from.

Just a heads up GRogall already confirmed the Orthanc. You can take his word to the bank. No need to worry about it.

I can confirm that 10237 The Tower of Orthanc is a real set! Price and availability is unknown to me.

I would say we know for sure that we'l get TWO more hobbit waves, one for the second movie ("The Desolation of Smaug") and another one for the third and final movie ("There and back again"). After that, we'll see. As for the LOTR line, I sincerely don't know for how long it is going to live, but AFOL collectors enjoy it a lot, MOC'ers (Pirate and Castle) enjoy it a lot, as for kids. I actually think they're more likely to prefer to get something they see on a movie, like the hobbit.

LOTR is at a disadvangtage with the final Hobbit movie only being released six months after the second film. Unless Lego starts doing mixed waves next year, it could be a long time before we see anymore LOTR sets.

LOTR is at a disadvangtage with the final Hobbit movie only being released six months after the second film. Unless Lego starts doing mixed waves next year, it could be a long time before we see anymore LOTR sets.

I know. I figure it'll be xmas of 2014 if we get anymore.

Sure Mines of Moria is missing a few walls but it still captures the essence of the scene nearly perfectly. You get a great mold of the Cave Troll and all the important features from the movie scene (skeleton falling in the well, tomb flipping, pillars crumbling, etc.). Not to mention its one of the few sets actually done to minifigure scale and not scaled down to ridiculous proportions. I think people just like to bash on it simply because it's not a fully enclosed set and as such isn't t the best for display.

To be fair, there's not much you can actually do with that scene aside from some extra bits here and there. Though I would have liked more things in the set, it wouldn't have worked as an enclosed model without being huge.

That scene takes place at Balin's tomb chamber, which just happens to be a large empty rectangular room that's pretty plain as it is. Adding some walls wouldn't make it any more interesting to the target audience.

I think it's an admirable attempt, even though some more walls may have helped. An enclosed version would probably end up being downscaled and looking something like the Rancor Pit.

Dudes, SW gets a UCS reveal this time every year. Released in time for May the 4th. Orthanc will come... sometime... (hopefully not until I can afford it)

Dudes, SW gets a UCS reveal this time every year. Released in time for May the 4th. Orthanc will come... sometime... (hopefully not until I can afford it)

When I realized this LOTR wave only had 4 sets, I kinda started hoping there's some hidden set to go along. I have no doubt that this is real, people are already losing faith lol. Never mess with Grogall, guys..

Edited by mpaisana

Let's not get crazy either way about confirming or deny any set that has not been officially announced. Remember, PotC had a D2C set that never saw the light of day. As of right now, I expect the D2C LotR set will come to be, but until we get an announcement or no announcement, let's keep speculation out of here.