CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Does anybody know what time the new set reveal will be, and is it tonight?

Does anybody know what time the new set reveal will be, and is it tonight?

I was just about to ask that. Any information on the schedule?

I find it somewhat doubtful that a new set is going to be revealed at LEGO world because it has already started and there hasn't been a report of a scheduled reveal. As far as I know, TLG usually made an announcement before the start of the respective event... And the source of this rumor states that the next exclusive set is going to be revealed outside of the US, but it didn't mention which event was meant :sceptic: Hopefully I'm wrong though...

I find it somewhat doubtful that a new set is going to be revealed at LEGO world because it has already started and there hasn't been a report of a scheduled reveal. As far as I know, TLG usually made an announcement before the start of the respective event... And the source of this rumor states that the next exclusive set is going to be revealed outside of the US, but it didn't mention which event was meant :sceptic: Hopefully I'm wrong though...

This event must be the LowLug meeting at the end of this month :sweet: doubt it :wink:

Ok so what do you guys think the orthanc tower will have in it if it isn't like the super star destroyer and is attualy like the Death Star ?

Ok so what do you guys think the orthanc tower will have in it if it isn't like the super star destroyer and is attualy like the Death Star ?

I'm really curious too. Outside of the last march of the ents and when gandalf and company catch up, there aren't many characters I associate with it. Grima, Saruman and... orcs? I guess they might put an eagle in since it would give them an excuse to give us yet another Gandalf. :wink:

Should have Merry, Pippin, Treebeard, Saruman and Grima for the start of the Return of the King, Lego have released very few ROTK sets, it would be nice to make the Exclusive from that movie.

FOTR has had 6 sets including the upcoming 2, TTT has only had 2 sets (none in the mid year release) and the ROTK will have 3 (including the mid year release).

Using the mini figures suggested above would be a tie in from both the TTT and ROTK probably a good result, TTT and ROTK really need a lot more love, with all that is available they could do some great sets.

Should have Merry, Pippin, Treebeard, Saruman and Grima for the start of the Return of the King, Lego have released very few ROTK sets, it would be nice to make the Exclusive from that movie.

FOTR has had 6 sets including the upcoming 2, TTT has only had 2 sets (none in the mid year release) and the ROTK will have 3 (including the mid year release).

Using the mini figures suggested above would be a tie in from both the TTT and ROTK probably a good result, TTT and ROTK really need a lot more love, with all that is available they could do some great sets.

I agree. I think it should have Sharky, Merry, Pippin, Grima, Armored Lurtz, and maybe regular Theoden on Snowmane.

I agree. I think it should have Sharky, Merry, Pippin, Grima, Armored Lurtz, and maybe regular Theoden on Snowmane.

We can't forget Jerry!

We can't forget Jerry!

*snip*

Hehe I just watched all of them again :laugh:

Now I'm starting to wonder if Orthanc was cancelled...

Would be much better than this re-make :(

Wait wait wait, is there one more exclusive set in the new Lotr wave? Awesome!

What would be the chances of Lotr and hobbit having one more wave after this one? It is clearly a good seller. I know some people are comparing it to SW, but I don't really think it is fair. SW had quite a lot of time to become such a franchise. Lotr only starting out now and gaining a lot of momentum!

Wait wait wait, is there one more exclusive set in the new Lotr wave? Awesome!

What would be the chances of Lotr and hobbit having one more wave after this one? It is clearly a good seller. I know some people are comparing it to SW, but I don't really think it is fair. SW had quite a lot of time to become such a franchise. Lotr only starting out now and gaining a lot of momentum!

If you read the previous posts on this thread you can catch up with all the info. There are evidence that points towards a Tower of Orthanc set (pics of the lego design offices show a preliminary design model).

On other past posts of this thread it has been discussed that the LOTR line hasn't been that successful sales-wise. The SW and LOTR fan-based community is totally different, I agree with you, SW's much bigger and intergenerational. But I guess for TLG it all comes down to numbers, and if a licensed (and more expensive to maintain theme) isn't successful, they'll ditch it and get another one. I'm not that confident that this line will go on for a long time.

I think Orthanc is coming out in October, like the Monster Fighters Haunted House did last year.

I collect both SW and LOTR. This announcement sucks. Would have much rather a had an Orthanc. TLG dropped the ball.

Any other exclusive set that is yet to be revealed would mostly likey go to the creator theme. Thats it for the lor this summer.

We can't forget Jerry!

No, Jerry would me in Amon Hen. But a tabloid magazine for Saruman to read would be hilarious.

And about the X-wing........

(Darth Vader voice)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If TLG cancels Orthanc I will be extremely mad. Extremely mad. Especially if they gave it up for a stupid re-release from the one theme that everyone's sick and tired of getting re-releases from.

Especially if they gave it up for a stupid re-release from the one theme that everyone's sick and tired of getting re-releases from.

There is no way Star Wars is a theme everyone's sick and tired, due to (re-)(re-)re-releases. This theme has already a historical weight for TLG (basically saved the ship back in 1999), and the current profits of the line don't show boredom in the fan base. The reason why this will go on is because it's a very versatile license. They can re-release boring sets AFOLS will buy (they do, in fact) and they can release products based on new products like Clone Wars and stuff.

Please note that even though I'm a Lego SW fan, I'm a bit tired of seeing other themes be sacrificed on behalf of that license. In almost 15 years it's hard to imagine what we've lost in terms of possible Lego space lines.

I do hope LOTR doesn't suffer from worse sales, it's totally worth it. As for exclusives, Orthanc doesn't seem that cool to me, would prefer an exclusive Lothlórien.

We already know there will be at least one more Hobbit wave, and Orthanc is also very likely sometime in the future, we just don't know when for sure. There was a display at Toy Fair stating "the adventure continues" for the Hobbit in December 2013. After that is unknown. If I had to guess, I would say we would get at LEAST one more LotR and Hobbit wave next year. It's just hard to imagine Lego not doing ANYTHING Gondor-related, or doing a Balrog/Ent/Witch King on Fel Beast. These are all such big climatic scenes in the films and would be huge hits among kids and AFOLs alike I would imagine.

I do hope LOTR doesn't suffer from worse sales, it's totally worth it. As for exclusives, Orthanc doesn't seem that cool to me, would prefer an exclusive Lothlórien.

I would prefer Minas Tirith, unless Orthanc comes with Ents. While it's a nice looking tower, we already are getting Saruman and Gandalf in the Wizard Duel. That covers a nice chunk of the Orthanc-related minifigures and a good piece of the interior. There really are no other special/exclusive characters that could be in Orthanc besides Womrtongue. I dunno how likely Ents would be with an Orthanc set either since each Ent would increase the price by roughly $10-15 depending how big they are made.

We already know there will be at least one more Hobbit wave

I would say we know for sure that we'l get TWO more hobbit waves, one for the second movie ("The Desolation of Smaug") and another one for the third and final movie ("There and back again"). After that, we'll see. As for the LOTR line, I sincerely don't know for how long it is going to live, but AFOL collectors enjoy it a lot, MOC'ers (Pirate and Castle) enjoy it a lot, as for kids. I actually think they're more likely to prefer to get something they see on a movie, like the hobbit.