CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

You know for a fact that there is a no compete license for LOTR. Just because Hasbro has it with SW doesnt me it is there for LOTR.

I know Bridge Direct currently holds the action figure license for the Hobbit. I dunno about LotR, but I can't see Lego buying the action figure license for it even if no one else currently holds it. If Lego did that, they would also need to buy the construction license (what they buy for all their licensed products I assume). Why would they buy anything else BUT the construction license when their whole company is based around construction toys? They aren't gonna buy the action figure license just to release a few battle backs with no building pieces when they can EASILY just get the construction license and make a battle pack that include a small brick built catapult. It just makes absolutely no sense to spend the money on from a business standpoint.

Edited by Deathleech

You know for a fact that there is a no compete license for LOTR. Just because Hasbro has it with SW doesnt me it is there for LOTR.

There is ALWAYS a "no compete" clause. That's how licensing works, for every movie tie-in ever.

Edited by Gryphon Ink

I am once again late to the party but still I wish to comment.

I don't think the eagle should be bigger. In some of videos he appears bigger than in the still images. I like that hif feathers are made in a seperate colour. If it were bigger it would be as big as a dragon which would appear weird. In comparison to the HP griffin, the eagl has quite a wingspan. Is there any chance that it can move its head? Maybe we were not able to see it yet? The claws are not well done, they could have used some more color, gray or yellow. Alltogether I am quite happy with it, although I think TLG could have done a bit better as with the dinos. Posability would me awesome.

I strongly believe Smaug will be an extra mold as TLG did with the Hungarian Horntail.

The secret stars of the sets are the army of the dead. Very detailled, very versatile. Give them different hands and heads and they make interesting warriors, except the one with the bones visible.

Ideally the Eagle would be a little bigger although it will hold minifigures on it, the scale will be wrong.

Edited by Darth Malgus

Now that I've seen the photos on FBTB I know I'll be buying the Wizards' duel and the Council of Elrond as soon as they're released. I had reservations about the latter because it seemed too small to do justice to Rivendell, but now that I've seen it, I can see that it 's a neat set that captures some of the feel of the place and comes at a great price. 2 of the figures are amazing, 2 a bit of a let down - if we have to have another Gimli couldn't we have had an old Bilbo or Gloin instead of yet another Frodo? But even so, it's a great set. I expect I'll try and get hold of a duplicate to enlarge it.

Which brings me on to the Black Gate, aka The Tooth of Mordor. What a weird half set it is. Kind of like the Mines of Moria but worse. Whereas Moria could hide the fact it was half a room with the whole acessibilty-for-play thing, having only one of the two gate towers does make for a really odd looking Black Gate. I'd sooner have had two towers, and got my great eagle in a more sensibly proportioned Warg Attack set (smaller tree with fewer functions, one less rock thing, one less Orc = room for an eagle). Like Rivendell, and Moria, I think this is another set that will be massively improved by the purchase of a duplicate to bulk it out, get that tower and an extra eagle, and then sell off the minifigs to recoup the purchase price. And like Rivendell the minifigs are a mixture of the great and the not-so-great, with the fab 3 of Gandalf, Aragorn and The Mouth set against yet more old Orcs. My big problem with that Orc is his face - those rings down his forehead make him too individual to be reused again and again. I think it's a real pity that we didn't get a new Mordor Orc figure. Finally the eagle - not as big as in the films, but not so far from the ones in the books as to make me anything other than really keen to get one. A figure can sit on its back, and the printing on the wings and head looks great.

All in all, while I'm still surprised about what isn't in this wave, I'm more happy with these sets than I thought I'd be - they're more than just fillers between Helms Deep and Ents, Balrogs, Witch Kings and Gondorians.

1. I suggest just painting this Gimli's hair white. That's all you need :) I'm planning on doing it

2. You are right about the Black Gate. While what we do get is great I wish they had put in the second tower.

3. I'm with you on the whole "epic scene sets." Bridge of Khazad-dum, Minas Tirith, The Last Alliance, and Barad-dur are the 4 sets I REALLY want before they let the license expire. But then again I need to finish getting the first LOTR and Hobbit waves before I think about summer :D

Unrelated: I'm really hoping the Wizard Duel is able to be put inside Orthanc. That would be AWESOME!

Edited by coolguy2323

Fair enough, but maybe Lego should just make the current longsword in a different color then? Perhaps the chrome color? I just don't see them investing money in a brand new mold when it only has a couple minor differences at the end of the hilt. They are so miniscule, especially in shrunken down Lego form.

The newer long sword is of that softer plastic. I don't think they can effectively chrome it (the chrome splits and flakes off when the underlying plastic flexes.) and they don't seem to make those type pointy parts in the harder plastic anymore.

I still think it would be effective if they did the main named swords in that new GITD plastic from Monster Fighters. While not screen accurate for Anduril it would at least differentiate it. And it would be perfect for Sting or Glamdring. The alternative might be to add some print or coloring to the sword? Can they print something that small?

Fair enough, but maybe Lego should just make the current longsword in a different color then? Perhaps the chrome color? I just don't see them investing money in a brand new mold when it only has a couple minor differences at the end of the hilt. They are so miniscule, especially in shrunken down Lego form.

You are right. I think it would be good in dark shiny gray. ( What do you call that color? It would be like the Ringwraith sword but dark gray instead of black.)

Or use this one:

That's what I use.

I've never had any interest in Lord of the Rings, but now we have gotten dark red and orange foliage pieces from these sets.

Now I can finally make purist Autumn trees! :wub_drool:

Edited by Sir Walter Maugham

Does anybody reckon that the new exclusive set that'll be revealed at Copenhagen tomorrow will be the tower of Orthanc because on Kevin hinckle's blog he mentions some thing about a new set announcement

http://ceeteamblog.com/2013/01/31/week-5-in-the-land-of-stickers/

"My only other item of interest was the nice surprise waiting at my desk yesterday: A volume sample of the next exclusive model that will be unveiled to the world. The next unveiling will not be taking place in North America, however we still receive a sample to build and familiarize ourselves with it for any questions received after it’s publicly unveiled. Looks like it’s time to build! Sorry, no hints from me on what it is…"

Even though I am late to the discussion I have to say that I really like this wave of LOTR and I would like to state my opinions of the different sets. I also really hope that Lego does at least one more wave of LOTR and a two waves would be awesome.

79005 The Wizard Battle

Although, I was a little disappointed that Lego made the wizard battle set in lieu of the fact that Lego is making the Tower of Orthanc, I am still impressed with that little set. I love the Eye of Sauron in the Palanthir Stone and I am really happy with how they did Sauramon.

79006 The Council of Elrond

I am also pleased with the Concil of Elrond set. While I too would have loved a UCS Rivendell I can understand why Lego went this route by producing a smaller set and I think it works out pretty well. After all, almost all of the major scenes in Rivendell take place in a setting like where the Council takes place so, I think it works just fine.

79007 Battle at the Black Gate

The Battle at the Black Gate is a really well done set and I am very happy that Lego made the Mouth of Sauron and Gandalf the White. While I also would have preferred that Lego had included both towers I can understand why they excluded it for budget reasons and I think that with Gandalf the White, Aragorn in his Gondorian armor the Mouth of Sauron and almost 700 pieces it is a good price.

79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

The corsair pirate ship is the only set that I am a little disappointed on since I think that Lego should really stick to the important locations and scenes from the books and the film. That being said it is a beautiful set and I will definitely be picking up one or two of copies of this set.

Overall I think that it is a great wave and I cannot wait for it to come out in June.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I am looking forward to seeing regiments with the corsair ship shields, all used up and dirty. It is nice that they will be avalaible in numbers.

The opposite will be true for the orange foliage. I won't even try getting enought for a tree. Olive green is more widespread available, but just the small leaves.

Does anybody reckon that the new exclusive set that'll be revealed at Copenhagen tomorrow will be the tower of Orthanc because on Kevin hinckle's blog he mentions some thing about a new set announcement

http://ceeteamblog.c...nd-of-stickers/

"My only other item of interest was the nice surprise waiting at my desk yesterday: A volume sample of the next exclusive model that will be unveiled to the world. The next unveiling will not be taking place in North America, however we still receive a sample to build and familiarize ourselves with it for any questions received after it’s publicly unveiled. Looks like it’s time to build! Sorry, no hints from me on what it is…"

Could very well be it, since the modular Cinema already has been unveiled, and i don't know about any other exclusive set that we don't know of yet...

Could very well be it, since the modular Cinema already has been unveiled, and i don't know about any other exclusive set that we don't know of yet...

Or it could BTTF Cuusoo set.

Wouldn't it be to early for that to be shown off? I thought they just announced the results from the last CUUSO review not even two months ago is all?

Good thinking!

Wouldn't it be to early for that to be shown off? I thought they just announced the results from the last CUUSO review not even two months ago is all?

I believe the Minecraft one was shown last February, and it passed the review stage in late December 2011/January 2012, so it's actually a really plausible thought.

Good thinking!

I believe the Minecraft one was shown last February, and it passed the review stage in late December 2011/January 2012, so it's actually a really plausible thought.

On the other hand, seeing the recent Toy Fair pictures, it may also be logical to reveal the set tomorrow as stated in the article. If it IS infact Orthanc, than I believe we're in for a treat :3

http://ceeteamblog.c...nd-of-stickers/

that was posted in january :sceptic: I think it was the palace cinema

that was posted in january :sceptic: I think it was the palace cinema

LEGO revealed the Palace Cinema around January 18th, the post was made on January 31st.

It has to be something else.

Edited by General Magma

LEGO revealed the Palace Cinema around January 18th, the post was made on January 31st.

It has to be something else.

Mybad :blush:

As keen as I am on seeing an orthank I won't be getting it, way out of my budget and blacks not hugely usefull to me as a castle/pirates builder. I may get the figs online though

You know, I played that level the other day and thought the same thing!

The pattern weve seen so far, (Rivendal, Blackgate) would suggest it.

Oh I hope we are right.......