CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I think the reason that they're only releasing 4 sets is to see how well LotR fares without its iconic scenes.

The first wave contained some of the most iconic and memorable scenes. (excluding Orc Forge). This wave, in my opinion, has less memorable scenes (Corsairs). So it will give a better representation of how well LotR sells. Lots of people who are not necessarily huge fans of LotR will certainly remember Helm's Deep, the Cave Troll and Weathertop to an extent whereas council of Elrond and the Corair ship especially wouldn't be too well known and so wouldn't be as quickly snatched up as the previous sets.

I could be entirely wrong, but I thought I'd just share my ideas with you.

I had the same theory a couple pages back, with slight variances. I'm hoping that's a good thing for LEGO LotR's future.

I actually think it may be the globe/crystal ball piece in a darker transparent color,

attached to a 2x2 round plate with the printed Eye of Sauron head under the crystal ball piece.

That sounds good, hopefully it will be like that, I guess we'll find out tomorrow at the toy fair :classic:

And, at this point, if there is a wave three, they might be able to cram it into Summer 2013, but most likely it will be Winter 2014. Also, at that point, there would HAVE to be at least one battlepack and something to do with Ents.

And, at this point, if there is a wave three, they might be able to cram it into Summer 2013, but most likely it will be Winter 2014. Also, at that point, there would HAVE to be at least one battlepack and something to do with Ents.

Not to mention Gondor.

I just hope we get the scene where the White Council attacks The Necromancer in Dol Guldur!

Me too! I'm really disappointed that Jackson appears to be leaving Círdan out though. :(

No new Anduril mold? Shame. No new black horse print for the Mouth of Sauron? Even worse.

His horse doesn't even have red eyes in the first place, and the Eagle is disappointing enough already.

As for the good points... two different hairpieces for both Elrond and Arwen, Mouth of Sauron,

well actually... all the figures look great, but the Mouth of Sauron has to be the best out of all those. Can't wait to see a good picture of that fig.

Dual sided head with different facial expressions, please?

Edited by General Magma

http://www.toyark.co...gs-images-7233/

Toyark put up a TON of good pictures of all the forthcoming LotR sets.

Oh boy, there goes my money.

So no Orthanc reveal yet. Not that I'm complaining, I honestly wasn't expecting the sets to be finished.

Edited by Cammo

No new Anduril mold? I'm disappointed with that. Re-using the Uruk helmet on a Mordor Orc? I'm disappointed with that as well. However, the set prices redeem those problems. Only $60 for The Black Gate and $30 for Council of Elrond? I'm sold! I do love these new sets.

EDIT: Brickforge has a good Anduril-style sword: http://www.brickforge.com/store/home.php?cat=384

Edited by Mr_Malfoy

No new Anduril mold? I'm disappointed with that. Re-using the Uruk helmet on a Mordor Orc? I'm disappointed with that as well. However, the set prices redeem those problems. Only $60 for The Black Gate and $30 for Council of Elrond? I'm sold! I do love these new sets.

Yeah exactly my thoughts. To bad all 4 orcs are the exact same print and no new armour or helmet. Guess we have to be more creative ourself.

I think I'll have to buy 2x Rivendel because of the leaves!

What do you guys think, is the hair of Arwen 'manly' enough for Elven warriors?

The new sets look awesome, the wizard battle and black gate sets are must buys for me :classic:

Oh boy, there goes my money.

So no Orthanc reveal yet. Not that I'm complaining, I honestly wasn't expecting the sets to be finished.

+1 All other themes for me are secondary to LOTR.

I was hoping to see Orthanc.

The wizard duel battle is a great set with two iconic characters and I found the construction interesting for such a small set.

The council has an attractive architecture, has a technic piece at the bottom to interconect the two buildings perhaps even more, and two great figs, Arwen and Elrond that are just fantastic. And the price of 30 is fair.

The black gate at 60 with a new eagle mold, a clever move from TLG for those who want to recreate scenes from the Hobbit movie are forced to buy this set until one from the Hobbit series includes an eagle, the printing on Aragorn is delightful, and the mold for the Mouth has more detail than I could imagined. The construction seems good too on this set with the rock formation and some snot on the walls.

The ship has passed from a: "yes I think will get it" to: "I need one". At just 100 it offers a lot.

Great wave TLG, and now only hoping Orthanc is 120.

The tip of Saruman's staff has an odd colour. As you look at the box art, it seems it glows in the dark. Speaking of which, are the ghosts GITD as well?

Edited by Cammo

I am disappointed with no anduril and that gandalf hair and beard is one piece (i think it is so) but exept that I thing it's good :classic:

Wizard Battle: must buy. Great little set, well designed and finally with Saruman! It may have even worked without Gandalf, but for some, this may be a selling point too. Is there a light brick for the palantir?

Black Gate: looks less impressive than I had imagined and with at least 60 Euro it is a bit on the expansive site. Need to see it in person, but the build does not seem to thrill me... maybe I had imagined something meaner. Mixed feeling concerning the minifigs: the Lieutenant is great, Gondor-Aragorn is good albeit a bit lost since non of his Gondorian soldiers are there, Gandalf is a must-have but without his horse, and the orcs are business as usual (=quite bad).

Council of Elrond: quite nice, but too small. I do not mean the downscaling which Lego always does. Selling point are the minifigs - for which I do not care. Go to the west, elves!

Corsair: wow, if I were into ships this would be my number one set. I am usually not. But I appreciate a nice build when I see it. I don't like the (movie version) army of the dead, and having the Fellowship members already only the corsair itself attracts me a lot. Tough choice, really. With more corsairs instead of orcs I would probably buy it.

Wow! These sets look great!

All those shields in the Corsair Ship! Love the dead! 99$ is a fair price.

Black gate is a great value! 656 pieces, 5 great minifigs, a horse, and a new eagle all for 60$!

I'm loving the Council set! Looks like a great, compact and complete set. Also has two new elve figs, both with new hair molds!

The Wizard Dual looks great! Nice little construction with two great figs! Love the throne! Maybe the Palantir has a minifig head on the inside? Looks great!

Also that's a cool poster for DoS.

Good job lego! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Has the Orthnac tower been confirmed or is it just a rumour, because i thought we would see it today but clearly not. I hope it is not a rumour as i will be annoyed, and if it isn't it better actually have rooms inside.

Wizard Battle and Council of Elrond are the only ones that I sort of like.

Also, no new Anduril mold? :(

My thoughts on the sets:

The Wizard Battle looks pretty good. Saruman is amazing, so I'll definitely be picking this one up.

The Council of Elrond looks very nice, and is at a very good price for me. Elrond and Arwen look very good, especially with their new hair pieces.

The Black Gate set looks amazing to me, and is probably my favorite of all of them. Gandalf and Aragorn are amazing, and so is the Mouth of Sauron. The Eagle looks pretty good, too.

The Pirate Ship looks really good to me. The new Soldiers and King of the Dead look stunning, and having Repeats of Legolas Gimli and Aragorn are fine by me too. Sadly, due to the way it's photographed, we don't get a good look at the Pirate. :sceptic: The use of shields is great, and the ship looks very good in itself.

Sarumans beard keeps on being too white.. the mustache...

The palintir looks like it was amde for MOC'ing miniature barad'dur. It should have been more black as a palintir.

COncil of elrond was a happy suprise, really nice color scheme, nice stickers(?) and 2 great minifigures. Are those arches new?

The eagle is very good in my opinion!

I wonder if we'll get expansions to Rivendell, the Council of Elrond set has technic pins- perhaps a modular style construction?