CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

also agreeing with the Legonater's opinion and seeing no point in TLC buying license for such a big theme to be over after just two waves

The way the buy lisences is for a set time, maybe they only have it for 2 years.

I hope it lasts more than two years, there are soooo many possible sets they could make.

The way the buy lisences is for a set time, maybe they only have it for 2 years.

That would be an awfully short time to buy the license for I would think. Especially a license as big as LotR that has three movies and endless content to cover. If it takes Lego 6 months minimum to produce a set they could only get out a few before the license has already ended. Plus, they also seem to have bought the Hobbit AND LotR license so the second Hobbit movie wouldn't even be out by the time the license ended, which would be bad for Lego considering the second to last and last Hobbit movies should in theory have the most hype behind them.

I would have to agree with Legonator as well. It seems like Lego intentionally did less important scenes (except maybe the Wizard Duel) this wave. I can't see Lego ending the line before they even touch on anything Gondorian or Minas Tirith, or the Balrog, or The Witch King and Fel Beast. These all seem like they would be HUGE sellers, especially among kids.

I would have to agree with Legonator as well. It seems like Lego intentionally did less important scenes (except maybe the Wizard Duel) this wave. I can't see Lego ending the line before they even touch on anything Gondorian or Minas Tirith, or the Balrog, or The Witch King and Fel Beast. These all seem like they would be HUGE sellers, especially among kids.

Sure, Gondorians or the Witch King would be sellers, but let's not understate the importance of the scenes covered in the next wave:

- Council of Elrond: a centerpiece of the first movie, here the fellowship forms up

- Black Gate: the last battle of the movies; I'd see the Mouth as a pleasant add, not the main feature

- Wizard Battle

The only odd choice may be the ship, although the arrival of the Army of the Dead at Minas Tirith is the turning point of the batte (THAT's the scene of the set, otherwise we'd had more pirates)

So we have important sets, just not the arguably most important. But then wave one also skipped the Witch King etc.

does anyone think we will see a radagast the brown house. Please answer?

I don't think we'll see the house of Ragadast become a set, the only real possibility to have it was with the first wave since the house will probably be only in the first movie.

But not getting this set isn't sad at all, I think we could get way better sets out of the movie with at least a couple of them including Ragadast.

I don't think we'll see the house of Ragadast become a set, the only real possibility to have it was with the first wave since the house will probably be only in the first movie.

But not getting this set isn't sad at all, I think we could get way better sets out of the movie with at least a couple of them including Ragadast.

I think they probably would have made a $30 in place of the Mirkwood Spider set if they decided the trilogy plan sooner. It probably would of been like a smaller version of Hagrid's Hut. It wouldn't be a replacement for the $40 special edition set, as those are usually action packed...

Edited by just2good

I'm not so sure. I think Rhosgobel with a couple of spiders attacking would have made for a visually more interesting $50 set than Attack of the Wargs tbh. Take out the rather uninteresting tree and make both wargs gray and you could have converted Attack of the wargs to an 'Escape to Rivendell' for about $30.

Rhosgobel would never have been in the first wave of hobbit nomatter what, because LEGO needed to make all the 13 dwarves in the first wave and rhosgobel leaves no oppertunity for that.

I think the idea that Lego would intentionally focus on 'less important scenes' for this wave is fanciful in the extreme. Considering the reports of modest sales, you would assume that Lego would go all out on designing and releasing sets that would appeal to the broadist audience. Indeed, this is precisely what they have done. The corsair pirate ship is perhaps the most obvious example. They made only a fleeting appearence in Return of the King. From a LOTR fans perspective, there were probably better/ more worthy scenes from the movies to focus on for the largest set of the wave. I would suggest that for Lego, the decision to focus on the corsair ship was likely due to two reasons. Firstly, as a vehicle it adds much needed variety to a theme that is primarily based on locations. Secondly, sailing ships sell!! I can envisage the corsair ship appealing to a demographic beyond just LOTR fans, particularly when there are no other sailing ships or pirate ships on the market at the moment.

Whether LOTR will continue beyond this wave is impossible to predict. Personally, I hope it does. I very much enjoyed Helms Deep and I am looking forward to the forthcoming sets. Like plenty of people here, I also think that there are plenty of scenes from the movies that would make great models, hopefully Lego agree.

It is pure speculation but I don't think its fanciful. You have a point with the Corsair ship but you can't make a similar case for the council of Elrond set. LEGO could easily have made another 'Uruk-Hai Army' type set at the same price point without any more new molds than for the council. Honestly, that's what I find most surprising about this wave; there is nothing at all like a battle pack. It doesn't seem likely that they would leave Gondor and the biggest battle of the trilogy out entirely. I admit it's possible but it just doesn't seem like the best four sets to pick if you want to milk as much as you can out of the theme.

Rhosgobel would never have been in the first wave of hobbit nomatter what, because LEGO needed to make all the 13 dwarves in the first wave and rhosgobel leaves no oppertunity for that.

They could have shoved Fili and Kili in that set instead of Mirkwood Spiders.

How would Kili and Fili fit into a Rhosgobel set? I don't recall them ever being at Radagast's home.

How would Kili and Fili fit into a Rhosgobel set? I don't recall them ever being at Radagast's home.

Oh my mistake. I thought Rhosgobel was the place where they escaped to Rivendell.

maybe they could pinch one of the friends set animals for little Sebastian but don't really see the point of this set being made.

Does anyone else think that we still might get Frodo and the Ringwraith? It was on the German site that had all the other sets. All TLG would need to do is print legs for Arwen, give her the LR horse, put Frodo on it, put in a mounted Ringwraith and some large trees, and you get a nice $30 exclusive.

Does anyone else think that we still might get Frodo and the Ringwraith? It was on the German site that had all the other sets. All TLG would need to do is print legs for Arwen, give her the LR horse, put Frodo on it, put in a mounted Ringwraith and some large trees, and you get a nice $30 exclusive.

I really doubt that that we will get that this summer. This set was not in the retailers catalog. If it was an exclusive, why would a small German site have it? I think it was a proposed set but that LEGO decided to release a different one, such as the Council of Elrond, instead.

Besides Frodo and the Ringwraith sounds like Frodo avoiding the Ringwraiths in the Shire, not Arwen vs Ringwraiths.

That said, the more LotR sets the merrier. I would love to get more Ringwraiths at a lower price point. I only bought one Weathertop.

There is no Frodo & Ringwraith set. The website it appeared on had four sets listed with the correct set numbers but the wrong names.

79005 Frodo and Ring Wraith

79006 ???

79007 Eagles Nest

79008 Pirate Ship

The actual sets we're getting:

79005 The Wizard Battle

79006 The Council of Elrond

79007 Battle at the Black Gate

79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

Would have been nice to get more Ringwraiths in a cheap set. Maybe they might show up in a polybag this year? I can't say I really want to see Arwen released in another set so soon though. Its disapointing enough we had to get her and Tauriel before Eowyn and Galadriel.

Edited by wesker

Is there any confirmation for the set of Orthanc? Price?

I heard some rumors many pages before but I lost the track.

Yes it is confirmed and it is $149.

Thanks. :classic:

By the case any number of pieces and minifigs?

Really? :wacko: I had no no idea it was ever confirmed. If it really was then I'm excited! If it's not then I will be even more disappointed! :cry_sad:

That would be beyond great, my dream set! However...

Please state and share your source, for I have missed it (and I am sure I am not the only one).

it is $149.

News to me.

Set confirmed, yes, minifigs (we don't even know if there will be any) confirmed, no, price confirmed, not to my knowledge, height confirmed, yes.

I'm so sorry if this is old news but according to a user on toysnbricks forum they say that the tower of orthanc will be $149 :

Re: LEGO Lord of the Rings Summer 2013

by Brickred » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:36 pm

The tower of Orthanc is going to be $149 and yes it is impressive

This is where I remember it. So I guess it isn't confirmed, but it sounds like they have seen it so it probably is $149.

I can confirm that 10237 The Tower of Orthanc is a real set! Price and availability is unknown to me.

And here is the confirmation.

impressive

Maybe I did skim over that. I suppose if it's USD, $149 would be quite impressive. Had it in my head AUD - which would only be as big as the goblin town set.