CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Yes yes, indeed my only complain will be the so few sets to be released this year!! There are lots of scenarios and battles still to be made in Lego version, don't know what to make out of this decision TLG is making...in Mexico you can't find any Lotr or Hobbit sets, they sold pretty well!! Was hoping to buy uruk-hai at discount prices but any was left!!

Can't wait to see Orthanc's images and a larger LOTR wave!

Agreed! We have yet to see Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Barad-dur, Lorien, the Balrog, the Witch-king, and many more!

Well, I already thought this, but clearer pictures make it more evident that the ship looks pretty much as it does in the computer game, and the Rivendell & black gate sets look pretty much like they did in the bonus level. I think there's a good chance that Orthanc will be the same, and that is not a bad thing. :sweet:

Yes it's Nuremberg today, lets hope for more info or even better pictures :classic:

I really hope for this Orthanc UCS set. There are sooo many Architectures that can be explored in UCS hopefully we see all or most, but my wish list would be in this order. Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Argonath, and Barad Dur assuming Orthanc is made. With reference to the summer sets, I will be getting the black gate, wizard battle, and corsair ship. I hope for a new mold for Anduril for Aragorn. It was in that promo picture when the wave was annouced but who knows.

Edited by jmagaletta

So if we get any more news or pictures from the Nuremburg Toy Fair, when should we expect to see them?

Also, do people think that, since Aragorn had Anduril during the Corsair scene and the Black Gate, will we get Anduril in both sets? To me, it doesn't make a huge difference, but it would be nice for acuuracy's sake. Also, Legolas should have the tan bow like in the game to represent his gift from Lorien.

So if we get any more news or pictures from the Nuremburg Toy Fair, when should we expect to see them?

Also, do people think that, since Aragorn had Anduril during the Corsair scene and the Black Gate, will we get Anduril in both sets? To me, it doesn't make a huge difference, but it would be nice for acuuracy's sake. Also, Legolas should have the tan bow like in the game to represent his gift from Lorien.

Some pictures have already shown up of sets from other themes. And one of them was from Joe Meno of Brickjournal, so you can bet he'll share more soon.

Some pictures have already shown up of sets from other themes. And one of them was from Joe Meno of Brickjournal, so you can bet he'll share more soon.

Where has he posted the pictures, gimme a link. any new pictures of any sets.

I would love to get a more detailed longsword mold, and the elven bow in tan would look awesome!

Could the reason for the apparent lack of Osgiliath and Minas Tirith be linked to the new Castle theme?

Well, it looks like that castle theme won't last long anyways, so hopefully we'll get to see Gondor next year, if we're to get another LOTR wave.

Anyone know if LOTR was at the Nuremburg Toy fair?

I hope we see more pics soon, Castle looks okay but it would be nice to see LOTR as well.

I don't know if I missed something but. Aren't the only pictures we have prelim? Wouldn't that mean that they aren't displayed because ... I don't know... Some molds like Gandalf's/ Saruman's hairpiece haven't finished production yet?

Edited by Cammo

Could the reason for the apparent lack of Osgiliath and Minas Tirith be linked to the new Castle theme?

Well, it looks like that castle theme won't last long anyways, so hopefully we'll get to see Gondor next year, if we're to get another LOTR wave.

I think we probably will see several sets in the next wave based off of the seige of Gondor because can't imagine Lego would leave it much longer and it seems like they're trying to get less important scenes from RotK and stuff from the first two films out of the way first. So things like the Balrog, the Witch King and Fellbeast and of course Minas Tirith will all be left for one big wave of good sets based off of awsome scenes from the films.

My pet theory for the past while has been the following:

The first LotR wave was huge, in many ways. For one, it was the first LotR wave. LEGO was making a huge step, and a lot of hype was obviously built upon it. Inside this were massive tasks, such as creating the Fellowship in a LEGO form, which was done superbly. Secondly, this wave captured a lot of key scenes in the movies, such as the Mines of Moria (the only time the entire Fellowship fights as one), Shelob's Lair (the main piece of action in Frodo and Sam's half of the journey), Helm's Deep (the action sequence of the Two Towers, as well as the beginning of the War of the Ring) and Weathertop (essentially the culminating point in the first half of FotR) - it was clear big things were happening. Furthermore, around 15 molds were created for this wave. That's a lot of waves. All of the minifigs were brand-new, with lots of leg printing, which before recently was very rare.

It is my opinion that this wave is a breather wave of sorts. The 'deep breath before the plunge', as it were. A lot of this wave focuses less on the massive action sequences, and more on the characters, notably ones we might not get otherwise. The Council of Elrond, for example, features characters that are rarely seen outside of Rivendell in the movies. The only other set Saruman is likely to be seen in is Orthanc, which will be expensive. The Corsairs and Oathbreakers also don't see a lot of action, and the Mouth of Sauron was only in the extended edition. It would seem to me that LEGO is taking the chance to give some essential - but smaller - scenes and characters in preparation for big things (Minas Tirith?) to come. Also, this wave has a lot less molds than the previous - less than half, I believe.

i hope everyone buys one or more sets to show support for LEGO LOTR. i want this theme to out due the Star Wars series :devil:

i hope everyone buys one or more sets to show support for LEGO LOTR. i want this theme to out due the Star Wars series :devil:

I collect both, I cannot see that happening with SW though. With Disney's expansion and more movies planed I can see SW still the number 1 licensed theme. Son't get me wrong though I love the LOTR and Hobbit setsand think in most ways they are far better and have more playability than the current SW sets.

I like your thinking Legonater: I feel that the choice of some of these less iconic scenes, such as the Corsair ship, and the Battle at the Black Gate, is actually good news - I think it means that LEGO is looking forward. If the theme was not doing well, then I do not think LEGO would "waste" some of their final sets on these more obscure scenes. The appearance of these scene, in my opinion, means that LEGO is confident in the theme's success, and is not afraid to touch upon some of the less-known scenes, to "fill in the gaps", something that might not usually be attempted in a theme until later on, when they are sure they can afford to do that because of the theme's success.

So although I was originally disappointed and confused in the selection of sets they chose to make (I still want them all of course :laugh: ), I see it as a good sign, a sign of the theme's potential longevity - a glimpse into LEGO's frame of mind in regard to this theme.

I really do hope you're right Legonator, the sets are amazing so far and they do appear to be setting the stage for much bigger things. I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to build my hopes up too much so I'm going to expect the worst though.

My belief initially would be that they would consider combining waves for Hobbit and Lotr to give LOTR some extra advertising by leaching onto the Hobbit films. That would appear not to be the case at the moment and with only 2 more waves likely (in my opinion) for the Hobbit and the last one presumably being next Spring/Summer, I am not convinced we will see any more LOTR.

I think they should have done 4 sets of each sub-theme for every wave. I think this would've helped the sales of both potentially.

My one saving grace is that if TLG ever expected this theme to last only 2 waves then they would've abolsutely done more iconic scenes and at least based a £100 play set on Minas tirith and given us minifigs of Sauron and probably the Witch-King and Gondor soldiers and sets featuring Treebeard and a Balrog. if the theme is killed without these then I would be shocked and would seriously question TLG's marketing dept for a crazed decision.

Actually I'm now beginning to convince myself that we will get another wave.................. :laugh:

There's a good chance these two new molds will be used for the Mouth of Sauron's horse as well:

9d5efbed641003bc55552db454c335d1.png?1359726761

Although the helmet on Mouth of Sauron's horse looks a bit different.

Edited by General Magma

There's a good chance these two new molds will be used for the Mouth of Sauron's horse as well:

9d5efbed641003bc55552db454c335d1.png?1359726761

Although the helmet on Mouth of Sauron's horse looks a bit different.

Wow! I love that new helmet... But the barding actually looks less detailed than it was. :sceptic:

Still, at least we can be 100% sure that the horse will be able to move it's back legs! :wink:

also agreeing with the Legonater's opinion and seeing no point in TLC buying license for such a big theme to be over after just two waves...don't compare it with Pirates of the Caribbean, one can still find all the sets at any retailer's store and that's quite disappointing...