CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Silmarillion is definitely a great read and necessary for middle earth enthusiasts as it tells so much backstory even for the hobbit and lotr. It was definitely a heavy read and the names alone made it difficult and made me reread parts several times. I couldn't imagine sets from this line. I could be mistaken but I thought some of the material jackson was using in his hobbit trilogy was from parts of the silmarillion or maybe im just thinking of the indexes from ROTK.

Silmarillion is definitely a great read and necessary for middle earth enthusiasts as it tells so much backstory even for the hobbit and lotr. It was definitely a heavy read and the names alone made it difficult and made me reread parts several times. I couldn't imagine sets from this line. I could be mistaken but I thought some of the material jackson was using in his hobbit trilogy was from parts of the silmarillion or maybe im just thinking of the indexes from ROTK.

The movie licences only cover the Hobbit and LotR books, infact Peter Jackson had to be very careful not to use details that were only noted in other books (Silmarillion etc). For example in the Movie when he talks about the Blue wizards he claims he can't remember thier names and when Elrond looks at Glamdring he says something along the lines of "nice elvish sword" when in fact the sword belonged to his great-grandfather. Most of the additional stuff was from the LoTR appendices.

Any straying outside of the licence could result in legal action from the Tolkien family.

This article explains it a bit better than I can

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/The-Tolkien-Nerds-Guide-to-The-Hobbit--185546102.html?c=y&story=fullstory

Edited by Slobey

That's absolutely right although I actually found it quite funny in the films when he said he couldnt remember their names, as he likely hadn't seen them in some time. With the current expansion of Disney I would be surprised if they didnt try and at least explore the possibility of a cartoon based on the complete Tolkien universe. It could be a very good money spinner as there are some excellent stories in the Silmarillion.

Anyway back on topic! Have the rumors of a small summer wave been squashed now?

Do we have any confirmation yet regarding when these sets will be released? I've seen March, May, and June around the web, but I'm unsure which is correct (if any).

Do we have any confirmation yet regarding when these sets will be released? I've seen March, May, and June around the web, but I'm unsure which is correct (if any).

I have heard May, but I am not sure either.

It was said some time ago (sorry, I cannot say where or when, not sure, I just remember reading it, probably on this site somewhere), that LEGO's plan was to do Hobbit sets in the December/Winter wave, and LOTR sets for the Summer Wave, i.e. June at the earliest. I think this was before we actually got set details and images though (only a confirmation that LOTR would continues). I think that logic makes sense, but wouldn't say no to an earlier release (considering I will be spending money on SW by the northern Summer as well... :laugh: ).

I find the continued questioning of release dates a bit confusing. The retailer's catalog images that were leaked specifically states that the sets are due for release June 2013. In bold letters. Right underneath the quantity per case. :wink:

Edited by Crownie

I find the continued questioning of release dates a bit confusing. The retailer's catalog images that were leaked specifically states that the sets are due for release June 2012. In bold letters. Right underneath the quantity per case. :wink:

Which means that the sets could also start showing up around May, I suppose.

Also, wasn't there a rumored Witch-king set?

I hope we get to see pics soon, it was estimated for release in March. (If that wasn't the actual date)

I am confused about the release dates. Could someone please clarify?

;)

The pictures from the retaler's catalog say June 2013. That's all I know. :classic:

In brickipedia writes July,but we always can get sets around 15 days earlier,but we will probably see them at Comic coon around april.We are always able to see sets for 2 months before release date.For Orthanc set only wrotes 2013,but there is no month :/

ha, ha, Don't you mean 2013? :laugh:

LOL. Okay, fixed. I'm sure that didn't help un-confuse anyone, huh?

I find the continued questioning of release dates a bit confusing. The retailer's catalog images that were leaked specifically states that the sets are due for release June 2013. In bold letters. Right underneath the quantity per case. :wink:

Whoops, not sure how I missed that. Thanks for pointing that out!

Since we usually see the sets popping up in stores a month or so before the official release date, I think it's safe to say we'll see them in May.

About the same time the first LOTR wave was released.

an 80$ set for Osgiliath seems like overkill. I'd rather got with the size/price of weathertop .

an 80$ set for Osgiliath seems like overkill. I'd rather got with the size/price of weathertop .

Well it needs to have soo much ruined buildings,so that's the reason wha I put 80$ 70$ at least

Well it needs to have soo much ruined buildings,so that's the reason wha I put 80$ 70$ at least

Ruined buildings isn't that interesting for a set, People who care for more Osgiliath than 40-50$ provides can just buy multiples.

Osgiliath doesent have one big recognisable structure to be buildt, so a smaller thing makes much more sense.

Okay, here are my final guesses for the price (in USD). One price per set, hit or miss. Also, these are based mostly on box size, but a little bit on minifigure count.

• 79005 Wizard Battle- $13 (box size; licensed set [Kraang, 2013 BP])
  • 79006 Council of Elrond- $40 (this is the hardest to determine due to the unknown box size, which might be the one with TDKR; 4 minifigures is risque recently, but two are old, so $40 is plausible)
  • 79007 Battle at the Blackgate- $60 (box size; licensed set [shellraiser or Rancor Pit]; 5 minifigures is plausible)
  • 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush- $120 (this was really hard too; I know it's the size of the Croc Command Ship from Chima, but I'm thinking Queen Anne's Revenge)

Edited by just2good

One of the things I was really dissapointed in LEGO LOTR Video game is lurtz and Amon-hen Uruk-hais.They made the same Lurtz as in The orc forge set,they only add him clothes printings,but hair stay the same.I found one picture of LEGO LOTR Minifigure desinger who desinged Lurtz in armor and with tail hair.I really like this one http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/b/bc/Lurtz.jpg here is my desing Snapshot_20120705_20.JPG I hope they will include this one in future Amon-hen set,not the one as in video game,and they need to make new helmet design for Amon-hen uruk-hais

Here are preview look of the minifiures from The orc forge,but I need to be onnest,I like these more.Just look at Uruk-hai helmet

9674_orcs-600x346.jpg

They look interesting, although I do not know if they are real sets. Any proof?

The 4 sets we have preliminary pictures of are real.

idc7wi.png

What I imagine an Osgiliath set could be. Potentially I would add another level to the tower bit, and make the dome a shade of blue.

251 pieces. 2 proper orcs, 1 ranger, 1 gondorian soldiers and Faramir

Edited by deskp

The 4 sets we have preliminary pictures of are real.

What I imagine an Osgiliath set could be. Potentially I would add another level to the tower bit, and make the dome a shade of blue.

251 pieces. 2 proper orcs, 1 ranger, 1 gondorian soldiers and Faramir

Nice! The only thing I would do is add a small bridge, Frodo, and a Nazgûl on a Fellbeast. I think it is possible that LotR sets could be based off of multiple movies, kind of like the 2010 HP sets.