CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Thanks Magma for the isolated image of Lothlorien and the Balrog. When I saw it in the full image I thought the Balrog was facing to the side but I see it now.

As pixelated as the tower looks it still had visible bricks and resembled its video game incarnation. Maybe it was a custom MOC photoshopped to look official. If this was the case why would Lego demand the pic removed from Flickr?

There was a small part of a larger confidential watermark across the picture.

Do you guys think well get a new elven hairpiece with the Arwen minifigure? Perhaps one that will work better with future minifigures of Tauriel seeing as her current hairpiece is very unaccurate.

The hairpiece arwen is using in the game would work reasonably well for all the female elves really.

I would want them to make an unique hairpiece for Tauriel tho, cause her hair is pretty special.

154px-Arwen_Blue.png

Do you guys think well get a new elven hairpiece with the Arwen minifigure? Perhaps one that will work better with future minifigures of Tauriel seeing as her current hairpiece is very unaccurate.

The hairpiece arwen is using in the game would work reasonably well for all the female elves really.

I would want them to make an unique hairpiece for Tauriel tho, cause her hair is pretty special.

Hey I like your avatar! :grin:

They can reuse Legolas' hairpiece just as they did with Tauriel, because in the end Tauriel has wavy hair too and they gave her straight hair... and both of them wear similar braided hair in the movies... but in the council of Elrond scene, Arwen has completely different hair :wink: (She wears her wavy hair down) And I think the ponytail they used for her in the prelim is an indicator of a new hairpiece, because they could've just painted Legolas' hair in brown, aye?

Edited by Otherworld

Hey I like your avatar! :grin:

They can reuse Legolas' hairpiece just as they did with Tauriel, because in the end Tauriel has wavy hair too and they gave her straight hair..

I'd imagine their new mold budget was already too high in the hobbit wave, with all the new hairpieces for the dwarves, so they couldn't spend the money on tauriel.

Elrond and Arwen need new hair molds, both are hanging in front of their shoulders but Elrond's has a crown. Hopefully the molds will be the exact same as in the video game.

So let me see if I understand how this works?

1. We see an actual official photo of the new Modular set. Clear enough to show all the markings and colors and details. Everyone goes nuts tearing it apart and being all hyper critical over insane points.

2. We get fairly clear pictures showing at least preliminary box fronts of the new unexpected Castle line. Once again people go nuts because... I dunno? It isn't the exact design or theme they had in their heads that is so much better?

3. We get a completely un verified (I hesitate to call it) picture of a rumor that is nothing more than a pixelated black blob. It is at best a Rorschach test. And yet everyone has leapt to the conclusion that this is the best set ever, and is arguing the Minifigs and weird details and whether it is bigger and better than the Death Star. This is why TLG as a whole doesn't pay a tremendous amount of attention to AFOLs. We as a group seem to be completely and utterly insane.

I love you. :laugh:

(In the platonic, hopefully non-scary way, of course.)

Edited by Crownie

Back to 10237 The Tower of Orthanc. I am convinced the image and leak is legit. The original Flickr poster motayan has taken down the image from his Flickr account. He was also the person to provide detailed images of the Palace Cinema and the Star Wars Polybags. Just a few observations over the past few days.

I was doubtful of the legitimacy of the Tower of Orthanc at first. But the measurements appear to be added later. It also matches a design that we know that LEGO did. I am about 80% convinced of it.

As for the four titles from the catalog, I am convinced that they are real. The only one I am not interested in is the Pirate Ship Ambush and that is because I am not interest in pirate ships, even though in LotR. The other designs I cannot make much out either but I know that I want them.

I do wish I knew how well the LotR and Hobbit sets were selling. It seems hit or miss in my area. I did a quick tour of all the Targets(2) and Walmarts (4) in my area after Christmas. Some sold almost all their LEGO except for the Hobbit. One had only Uruk Hai Army and Shelob left. One had Mines of Moria on clearance, the rest still had all those sets at full price.

If this line lasts long enough, I think we will see all the sets they had designed. I know many want the Gondor stuff. Personally, I want more variety of the Rohan stuff.

Back to 10237 The Tower of Orthanc. I am convinced the image and leak is legit. The original Flickr poster motayan has taken down the image from his Flickr account. He was also the person to provide detailed images of the Palace Cinema and the Star Wars Polybags. Just a few observations over the past few days.

Now that you added this info, I'm starting to think it is legitimate. Sounds like a good D2C idea, anyways.

The Orthanc picture sure seems to be getting more convincing by the minute with all these reasons you guys are thinking up!

I'm pretty convinced that it's legitimate, based on the reasons KyleJohnson11 gave (which I also pointed out on a previous page). If this was a pic that came from some random Flickr photostream it would be different; but this user has published the first photos of many sets over the past few days. I wouldn't be surprised if this person has some kind of connection with Lego and blurred out the image to drive us crazy with speculation; the plan is obviously working, if that's the case. :laugh:

154px-Arwen_Blue.png

It depends on what Arwen's costume will be. The Legolas hair would work best if she's wearing the one from the chase sequence. For any of the others she wore in Rivendell, the piece from the video game would be better. I disagree with you on Tauriel though. Its just too impractical to have a minifigure hairpiece so long that it goes below the waist, and by removing the short braid at the bottom her hair doesn't really look any different to the rest of the Elves.

I'm still disapointed there's no Eowyn or Galadriel. I'd take them anyday over Arwen and Tauriel.

IMG_36331.jpg

I think the existing LOTR elf hair piece is pretty ugly personally, its the way it dips down at the front I think

86835099036299754_y870RIf2_b.jpg

Look how tiny his forehead is

Didanyone notice Isengard machines?

No, I didn't see any. Did you see some and are pointing it out or are you asking if someone saw extra photos?

I wonder that if the Orthanc is real, that it will be the first set to have a portrait picture on the box instead of landscape because of the sheer height of the tower?

Hey October some questions if you don't mind. In Council of Elond is Arwen holding anything? Does she and Elrond have new hair molds? Can you see any details on the small building that is behind the council platform? How many chairs come with the set?

Also can you see any more detail on Wizard battle? Is the Palantir an LED brick? Does it come with some pillars or is that just the background?

Thanks!

Hey October some questions if you don't mind. In Council of Elond is Arwen holding anything? Does she and Elrond have new hair molds? Can you see any details on the small building that is behind the council platform? How many chairs come with the set?

Also can you see any more detail on Wizard battle? Is the Palantir an LED brick? Does it come with some pillars or is that just the background?

Thanks!

The wizard battle comes with a throne, 2 torch pillar things. a piece of floor with the palantir on.

My buess is the palantir itself might be one of those chima balls cause it looks very big. I would prefer one of those small bals you can connect to a stud...

Looks to me like Arwen has new hair and Elrond does not. But OBVIOUSLY this is not exactly science.

71r37q.png

Edited by deskp

Oh ok I wasn't sure about the pillars being apart of the set or the background art. Good to know it actually has some brikbuilt pieces.

I will be so upset with Lego if Elrond has rehashed hair. He needs a circlet above all elves in Middle earth being descended from two royal elven houses: Dior of Sindarin and Turgon of Noldor.

No, I didn't see any. Did you see some and are pointing it out or are you asking if someone saw extra photos?

I made red circle around machines.I believe that it is machine

8349516959_7ae8f3490e_m.jpg

I will be so upset with Lego if Elrond has rehashed hair. He needs a circlet above all elves in Middle earth being descended from two royal elven houses: Dior of Sindarin and Turgon of Noldor.

It would be nice with a special hair for Elrond, but it wouldn't really work for any other minifigure.

I made red circle around machines.I believe that it is machine

8349516959_7ae8f3490e_m.jpg

Could that not be an early orc forge?