CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

anyone have guesses on the prices of the new known sets?

($12 USD?) 79005 The Wizard Battle

($40 USD?) 79006 The Council of Elrond

($60 USD?) 79007 Battle at the Black Gate

($100 USD?) 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

How well do the PoP Minifigs, particularly the Hassasim work for Haradrim? Maybe with some of the PotC zombies thrown in?

My guess would be:

(14.99 EUR) Wizard Battle

(49.99 EUR) Council of Elrond

(69.99 EUR) Battle at the Black Gate

(109.99 EUR) Pirate Ship Ambush

Since European prices are always higher than American ones + other elements such as 'liscensed theme', new molds or colouring do nboost the prices. Of course I'm talking retail prices, not online/amazon prices.

Just seen the prelim pictures for the next wave. Sauruman vs Gandalf is a great way to get Sauraman on the cheep. Interesting choice to play the pirate ship as the main set. I wouldn't have thought that as one of the obvious choices, but, fine by me. The battle at the Black Gate definitely includes the mouth of Sauron which is very exciting. The council of Elrond looks nice, and will probably be the only way of getting Arwen for figure collectors like me. I haven't picked up any of this wave, but I believe Haldir, Theoden and Eomer are the only main characters not in the 2013 wave, so I might just order them for completion's sake. Don't think I have room for Helm's deep alongside the Hobbit sets.

*snip*

Wizard Duel $12

Target Exclusive $40

Rivendale $60

Black Gate $80

Pirate Ship $120

That's my call.

Edited by ZCerberus
let's only quote stuff that is needed so this thread is still readable!

just seen the Prelim images...they look good, i'm not a fan of whole black-pieced sets but, this is LOTR!! Hoping to see more than just 4 sets, i mean, we waited 10 years for this for TLG to cutting off the theme =S

also seen the Prelim for the 3rd Casle wave of sets, a really unexpected theme, which lets me to logically think that it would be a failure for TLG to release any Minas Tirith sets this year when it's releasing some-like sets feat in the Castle wave...such a shame!! :sadnew:

At least, that gives me hopes for a 2014 Minas Tirith wave :grin:

Given that Bag End is the hot toy for Christmas this year, it makes sense that with the final Hobbit film in 2014, they'll have a December wave of LOTR and/or Hobbit to ride the Christmas hype - or, perhaps, a January one, if they think their summer '14 sets will be enough to sell for Christmas.

*SNIP*

Here's my guess in £'s

(£12) 79005 The Wizard Battle

(£35-£40) 79006 The Council of Elrond

(£50-£55) 79007 Battle at the Black Gate

(£85-£95) 79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

Edited by ZCerberus
Do we really need all this quoting? It is distracting!!!

I think TLG may be goign in for smaller waves. The super heroes line would kind of bear that out too as it limits there exposure if a theme is not successful. I could see there being a TRU exclusive perhaps in the £40 range. If that's the case i would expect something like the Balrog or maybe even a last alliance set that features Sauron.

We could also get a D2C set. if that were so I'd expect something like Orthanc with treebeard. Similar in price to the Arkham Asylum set just released.

Although i refuse to ever get my hopes up until i see pictures, I can't believe TLG would produce a mouth of sauron figure without any plans to include such characters as Sauron, the Witch-King, a Balrog or Faramir. I'd even expect Elendil and Isildur first.

(...) I could see there being a TRU exclusive perhaps in the £40 range. If that's the case i would expect something like the Balrog or maybe even a last alliance set that features Sauron.

We could also get a D2C set. if that were so I'd expect something like Orthanc with treebeard. Similar in price to the Arkham Asylum set just released.

A TRU exclusive seems very likely as both waves so far (LOTR, Hobbit) have had one. I wouldn't expect a last alliance set: both exclusives were scenes taking place at the same time as the other sets. A Balrog set is possible, but I would go for something where TLG can add a lot of extras (weapons, utensils, etc) as they did in the other two exclusives. Perhaps an orc camp or Gondorian soldiers (though less likely).

Regarding the D@C set, it seems likely that if such a set appears it would be at the end of the year (like most other D2C sets). Though you never know of course....

Edited by KristofBD

interesting ideas. incidentally, does anyone know who instigates the exclusive sets?

in the line of business i'm in a retailer usually has a fair amount of input on what they want in a retailer exclusive. I wonder how much input TRU or Target have.

LEGO LotR would become successfull if they would make more sets which we could buy several times.

Why no LotR Creator sets? Why no Battle Packs or usually army building sets like in the eighties?

Just imagination: LEGO would release a superb exclusive Orthanc tower and would thereto release a modular black wall set (army building set without main characters) in order to build the great circle wall arround the Orthanc tower. And at the modular wall set is attached an additional instruction for a gate. -> And twice of those modular walls would include sufficient bricks in order to build one gate.

Damn, we would buy that "one" modular set several times in order to receive the complete wall circle with gates. And everybody would decide oneself the lenght of the wall circle diameter at one's own Isengard! And as well our Isengard armies would grow with each LEGO army building "modular wall set"!

LEGO LotR would become successfull if they would make more sets which we could buy several times.

Why no LotR Creator sets? Why no Battle Packs or usually army building sets like in the eighties?

Just imagination: LEGO would release a superb exclusive Orthanc tower and would thereto release a modular black wall set (army building set without main characters) in order to build the great circle wall arround the Orthanc tower. And at the modular wall set is attached an additional instruction for a gate. -> And twice of those modular walls would include sufficient bricks in order to build one gate.

Damn, we would buy that "one" modular set several times in order to receive the complete wall circle with gates. And everybody would decide oneself the lenght of the wall circle diameter at one's own Isengard! And as well our Isengard armies would grow with each LEGO army building "modular wall set"!

The problem is "we" the more dedicated AFOLs who will buy such multiples are, while dedicated, a very small niche. They make their money off of he kiddies and their parents. Not off the collectors. So smaller less expensive self contained sets is the current target market.

Don't know how belivable it is but:

10237 The Tower of Orthanc

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

I don't know... I've got a feeling that it might be real.

We've already seen an Orthanc tower set before, and the LOTR theme has been very profitable for LEGO,

so it could be very real, but not judging by the picture. I just don't know why it's blurred out, but you can see a huge "preliminary" stamp in the bottom left.

28.75 inches? That's like, 73 cm... sounds good.

Very skeptic about the picture itself (looks fake), but the source may be right... may be.

Edited by General Magma

Time will tell. It would certainly make sense for them to build it. They've released one huge playset from Two towers already in Helm's Deep and I would be amazed if they passed up the opportunity to build this so soon into the theme.

Makes more sense than Minas Tirith or Barad-Dur I think it could be true.

I hope it is true!

I would rather have Treebeard in an Orthanc set, and an Ents set for army building. That way we wouldn't get multiple named characters. The Ents set could come with 1 or 2 Ents and 3 or 4 orcs with an Uruk-hai.

That orthanc looks interesting not sure if its real or not though...

Anyway:

Wizard battle:£12

Council of Elrond:£40

Battle at the black gate:£60

Pirate ship ambush:£80

Thats what i think is a realistic priceing'

It seems that the measurements align with the picture of a Lego Orthanc set from that 'owly picture'. If this is in fact a real set, my guess is that this will be an hard to find/exlusive set just like the Arkham Asylum set.

Hopefully they will add Wormtongue or something.

It would be great addition to the wave since the Wizard Battle is the interiour part of the Tower and the eagle of the Black Gate would come in handy to represent the fleeing of Gandalf.

Maybe that's why there are only 4 sets in the booklet.

Edited by Cammo

Well what I think the prices will be...

Wizard Battle- $12.99

Council of Elrond- $39.99

Battle at The Black Gate- $69.99

Pirate Ship Ambush- $109.99

Edit:

I hope for Othanc but is the number right?

Shouldn't it be 79009 not 10237? Or is that because it could be a D2C set? Anyone know?

Edited by Infernum

Hello everybody,

it's my first post in the forum. I've found an interesting announcement for the Orthanc. http://www.lordofthebrick.com/2013/01/10237-the-tower-of-orthanc-cest-presque-confirme/

My french is not the best so here is the (terrible google translation) http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lordofthebrick.com%2F

If it is true and we get an exklusive Orthanc I know what the present for my 30th birthday is. :sweet:

Diskus (aka Matthias)

P.S.: Sorry if my english is terrible. Last english lesson in school is 10 years ago.