CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

For some reason I think the person who originally posted these rumors mistook the Mouth of Sauron for the Witch-king.

I still hope we'll see the Witch-king in another set in the same wave, though.

I also really hope we get the Witch-King, but the Mouth would be equally as awesome, and twice as unexpected! Also, I hope that LEGO strives to design their Witch-King and Mouth figs as they are seen in the game. The game versions are so awesome looking, and with the amazing molds LEGO has been pumping out in the last year or so, I think we will likely see replicas of the game characters in LEGO form.

I could see the corsair ship having aragorn, gimili, legolas king if the dead and then two dead soldiers and the a few corsairs plus the guy with two heads (he's an orc i believe with a second head on top of his) plus two of his soldiers (orcs I believe) but that still seems like alot of minifigs for the set. Im hoping that its one or two starring character fig rather than nameless soldiers but im not sure who else would be included.

Im really excited for the black gate. I wonder if they will include any large monsters. In the movie they have the two trolls who open the gate and also the battle troll (not sure what they are called) that fights aragorn in the final battle of the movie. I would be happier with the second but either one would be awesome. Gandalf the white, aragorn in gondorian armor with anduril, eomer, merry and pippin in rohan/gondor armor, mouth of sauron, and mordor orcs all could be included. They could even include ringwraiths on nazgul or eagles but im sure this is highly unlikely due to the other rumored sets being released.

Ah, but dont forget he was in the book! Any how, the rumor list sounds pretty interesting.

Cant wait for more!

The problem there is Lego only has the license with WB for stuff from the movies. They don't have the different license from the Tolkien estate for the books. So for Lego to make and sell it, it must be on screen.

Im really excited for the black gate. I wonder if they will include any large monsters.

With only 5 figures mentioned it sounds like a fairly small set. Probably more of a figure pack, character scene, with Aragorn and Gandalf facing off against the mouth. Which kind of begs the question of what the build could be? What possible play features? There just isn't a lot there to work with. On the heroes side it is bare grey and flat. Totally featureless desolation. And then there is the massive spiky wall that kind of just sits there.

Well its not really a problem. He appears in the 'real version' of the movie and is in the video game during story mode and as a usable character in free mode and bonus levels. Now I know the video game doesn't prove he's going to become a munificent but it proves he is a part of TLG's contract.

Yea I think your right. after rereading the rumor post I realized I didn't see the "and 3 I could not discern"part and I withdraw my excitement for this set. It will still be nice to see gandalf the white, mouth of sauron, and hopefully an aragorn with gondor armor/anduril though. Im guessing the other two will be orc soldiers or something. Or they could leave out aragorn, since he will most likely be in the corsair ship set, and include merry/pippin in armor.

On second thought considering the centerpoint of this scene is his first speech as king I doubt they would leave him out.

Yea I think your right. after rereading the rumor post I realized I didn't see the "and 3 I could not discern"part and I withdraw my excitement for this set. It will still be nice to see gandalf the white, mouth of sauron, and hopefully an aragorn with gondor armor/anduril though. Im guessing the other two will be orc soldiers or something. Or they could leave out aragorn, since he will most likely be in the corsair ship set, and include merry/pippin in armor.

On second thought considering the centerpoint of this scene is his first speech as king I doubt they would leave him out.

Thing is, in the Corsair Ship we'd have another regular Aragorn,

while in the Black Gate set, he would have his Gondor armor equipped.

I hope that all the minifigs in the next wave have different printing. Otherwise, it is a lot more difficult to justify buying them. The video game cut scenes did a great job of showing possible variations.

The Corsair ship will definitly be the most boring set :( And another regular Aragorn would be a waste of money... And another Gimli and Legolas too... :0

The figure I hope for the most is Éowyn, and maybe Aragorn in his kingly armour. And the Witch-King :D

These sound like fantastic sets! I was hoping for more sets from ROTK, so these definitely fit the bill. I'm guessing that Orthanc will be next summer's 'large' set in the LotR wave.

Ive watched all LOTR films but I've only just found out about the mouth of sauron (saurons negotiater) and having said that he's awesome and I'd love him in lego, it's such a shame they cut that scene out on my DVD :sad:

Thing is, in the Corsair Ship we'd have another regular Aragorn,

while in the Black Gate set, he would have his Gondor armor equipped.

True, but at a minimum the Black Ship version of Aragorn should include Anduril. So that's something to hope for. I think the key draw for the ship set will be the Army of the Dead.

True, but at a minimum the Black Ship version of Aragorn should include Anduril. So that's something to hope for. I think the key draw for the ship set will be the Army of the Dead.

Well, since they'd have to create a new mold for Anduril,

I can see them having two different versions of Aragorn in those two different sets (ship and gates),

both with Anduril. That way they would already have two sets to use the sword for.

Edited by General Magma

Plus, I don't understand why lego would have the same objects/sttuctures portrayed differently in their digital and hard copy forms. For example why would they brand the video game corsair ship as the "lego version" then release a completely different model for hard copy collections and call it the corsair ship? I don't know, that's just me brainstorming and really wanting to see the 2013 sets.

Like was mentioned, the game needs to create different designs to serve different purposes. A Lego set doesn't need to show or have the entire Fangorn Forest, the game does. And while the game developers do use official Lego pieces (with some alterations like color and sizing, and "fake" building techniques), they still are separate companies. Ones making a game, the other individual sets that need to have only certain aspects in them and hit certain price points.

I found these images in a new group of photos revealed from the film, and I think that we can take these as possible hints as to what we should see come December 2013.

Smaug

http://www.filmofili...-Journey_41.jpg

I seriously doubt that is Smaug. Not only does he look odd, the art is dated 2008 which is before the license for the Hobbit was even obtained?

I'm betting it would be 6 real Minifigs and a handful of plain skellies.

I really hope not or I will be very disappointed. They could and should easily make some sand green, glow in the dark minifigs like was pointed out. This would look the best by far. Skeletons would look terrible.

With only 5 figures mentioned it sounds like a fairly small set. Probably more of a figure pack, character scene, with Aragorn and Gandalf facing off against the mouth. Which kind of begs the question of what the build could be? What possible play features? There just isn't a lot there to work with. On the heroes side it is bare grey and flat. Totally featureless desolation. And then there is the massive spiky wall that kind of just sits there.

It could still be a 40-50 dollar set. The Orc Forge and Warg sets only have 4 and 5 figures respectively but they still are decent mid sized sets. I would guess it would by in this price range and just include the Black Gate as the main focal point for the building.

I hope for ghost soldiers which will be similar shiny printed like that guy:

A new molded/printed shining horse would be also cool.

Maybe LEGO will eventually releases the urgent required battle pack? And possibly even with shiny ghost soldiers! :sweet:

Really awesome would be a Peter Jackson LEGO figure at the Corsair ship!

I am also excited about the Black Gate. LEGO could for example include some Easterlings. :wub:

-->Should be a Nazgul with fell beast and an eagle in the scope of the Black Gate set. Then it would be more beneficial if LEGO would exclude those from that set and would those put into a separate LEGO set.

As consequence we could buy the Nazgul with fell beast and the eagle multiple times and we could thereby create a small army. :grin:

Edited by Elander

Well, since they'd have to create a new mold for Anduril,

I can see them having two different versions of Aragorn in those two different sets (ship and gates),

both with Anduril. That way they would already have two sets to use the sword for.

I seriously doubt TLG would make a special mold for Anduril when we already have a new and perfectly good longsword. What's the point of two almost identical swords that nobody but AFOLs and other fanatics will care about?

It could still be a 40-50 dollar set. The Orc Forge and Warg sets only have 4 and 5 figures respectively but they still are decent mid sized sets. I would guess it would by in this price range and just include the Black Gate as the main focal point for the building.

In a 50 dollar set the Black Gate would be more of the Black Subway Turnstile. "Everybody line up, single file please! No shoving! One at a time through to the man with the big sword! WHACK! NEXT!"

I seriously doubt TLG would make a special mold for Anduril when we already have a new and perfectly good longsword. What's the point of two almost identical swords that nobody but AFOLs and other fanatics will care about?

Have you seen the variety of weird weapons they made molds for over in Ninjago? Or Chima? They just need something to make Aragorns sword stand out. (For that matter Orcrist and Glamdring too. They created a new mold for Sting but ignored those others)

I hope for ghost soldiers which will be similar shiny printed like that guy:

A new molded/printed shining horse would be also cool.

Maybe LEGO will eventually releases the urgent required battle pack? And possibly even with shiny ghost soldiers! :sweet:

Really awesome would be a Peter Jackson LEGO figure at the Corsair ship!

I am also excited about the Black Gate. LEGO could for example include some Easterlings. :wub:

-->Should be a Nazgul with fell beast and an eagle in the scope of the Black Gate set. Then it would be more beneficial if LEGO would exclude those from that set and would those put into a separate LEGO set.

As consequence we could buy the Nazgul with fell beast and the eagle multiple times and we could thereby create a small army. :grin:

OK you won me over with Peter Jackson Minifig :laugh: It must be so!

I still suspect that we will see the Felbeast in a Battle of Pelinor set with Aeowyn, Merry, Theoden and the Witch King. We already know (or suspect) that we will be seeing an eagle in the next Hobbit wave in the Eagles Nest set. So they probably won't do a separate LotR eagle set.

The Corsair ship will definitly be the most boring set :( And another regular Aragorn would be a waste of money... And another Gimli and Legolas too... :0

The figure I hope for the most is Éowyn, and maybe Aragorn in his kingly armour. And the Witch-King :D

I don't mind having multiples of the main characters as long as it doesn't get too excessive like POTC. Legolas only came in the Moria set this year, so I wouldn't complain about having another to display with Helms Deep.

OK you won me over with Peter Jackson Minifig :laugh: It must be so!

This sounds like a perfect chase minifig. LEGO could give this one out for free with purchase of $100 of LotR or Hobbit LEGOs during a promotion.

In a 50 dollar set the Black Gate would be more of the Black Subway Turnstile. "Everybody line up, single file please! No shoving! One at a time through to the man with the big sword! WHACK! NEXT!

Maybe, but I assume Lego would scale it down a lot and not include the mountains and walls on the side, just the wall around the gate itself. Imagine a slightly larger gate similar to the Mines of Moria set. I mean they made Weathertop a $60 set so who knows.

Personally my wish list for the next wave would be Minas Tirith as a huge flagship set, a Balrog set with Gandalf and a couple Moria Orcs (with those cool helmets), and a small $13-15 set with Eowyn and Merry vs the Witch King on Fel Beast. If we got these sets I could die happy. Of course I would also love some battle packs.. a Rohan and Gondor one for sure, as well as a Mordor Orc, Easterling, and Haradrim one would all be fantastic. The Corsair ship does sound cool, but it's such a minor part in the films it's hard to get excited for. Then again I suppose it would be a good way for Lego to do the undead as well as Corsairs all in one set.

Edited by Deathleech

Maybe, but I assume Lego would scale it down a lot and not include the mountains and walls on the side, just the wall around the gate itself. Imagine a slightly larger gate similar to the Mines of Moria set. I mean they made Weathertop a $60 set so who knows.

Personally my wish list for the next wave would be Minas Tirith as a huge flagship set, a Balrog set with Gandalf and a couple Moria Orcs (with those cool helmets), and a small $13-15 set with Eowyn and Merry vs the Witch King on Fel Beast. If we got these sets I could die happy. Of course I would also love some battle packs.. a Rohan and Gondor one for sure, as well as a Mordor Orc, Easterling, and Haradrim one would all be fantastic. The Corsair ship does sound cool, but it's such a minor part in the films it's hard to get excited for. Then again I suppose it would be a good way for Lego to do the undead as well as Corsairs all in one set.

The Corsair ship is a minor element of the films. But for our purposes here it services a broad range of ideas. The ship itself is something that works well in Lego. They do them well and they make for exciting play environments. Plus it gives a way to easily give us the Army of the Dead figs mixed with some others such as Hero's or Pirates or Orc's (depending on which end of the journey they are depicting), and finally it is a set other than a gray wall or a cave setting. Something that can shake things up a bit from the consistent darn Middle Earth earth tones. Plus it attracts a broader customer base into the LotR line. Not only will the typical Hobbit/LotR/Castle fans pick it up, you can be guaranteed that every Pirate fan will as well. They like ships. And once they have Legolas and Aragorn and Gimli... well they still need Borimir and the Hobbits don't they? and Oh look isn't Hems Deep such an awesome set...

Their's no way a set that included the Fel Beast would only be $15, the wingspan alone would place it around $30-40. If you want a reference, just look at one of the Ninjago dragon sets.

Their's no way a set that included the Fel Beast would only be $15, the wingspan alone would place it around $30-40. If you want a reference, just look at one of the Ninjago dragon sets.

Eh, if it were a smaller molded Fel Beast like the ones in the video game I could easily see it being in the 15-20 dollar range, albeit probably closer to 20. I mean I don't see them making the set any bigger than Shelob if the Fel Beast is brick built, which I doubt it would be.

I could easily see a Fell beast set like that mentioned to be closer to $25-30 just because of 3 figures and a potentially larger scaled Beast. I wouldn't think it would be as small as Shelob with 2 figures, even if it were brick built. Adding in another figure easily could bump it up in price and if it was molded, it would definitely get bumped up again. There was the Ice Dragon Attack Ninjago set that was around $20 with 2 figures, but the dragon itself was pretty lackluster. It had a giant head with a tiny body and unfinished wings. I don't think that is how they'd want to portray a Fell Beast.

Have you seen the variety of weird weapons they made molds for over in Ninjago? Or Chima? They just need something to make Aragorns sword stand out. (For that matter Orcrist and Glamdring too. They created a new mold for Sting but ignored those others)

Ninjago introduced only a few weapon molds: the dragon sword, the cobra-like snakes, next year's elemental blades, the sais, and many blades used more for vehicles and spinners than for handheld use. Most of the other weapons used standard parts, along with a few new parts which were not exclusively weapons but could be used to make them, like the short chain and "nunchuk handles".

Chima is introducing three new weapons: a new glowy sci-fi axe head and two new glowy sci-fi swords, one good and one bad.

The running theme of these parts is that they fill niches which can't be filled by other parts. As important as Aragorn's sword is, if I recall it's a fairly standard shape, like the sword currently used for him in sets. Sting, on the other hand, is a fairly unique shape, which would be ill-depicted by existing swords and knives, thus necessitating a new mold. It's less about how important they are and more about whether existing parts are sufficient. Consider that almost every Jedi and Sith in Star Wars have lightsabers with unique hilts, but most lightsabers in Lego Star Wars use the exact same hilt, except ones which clearly have a different overall shape like Count Dooku's.

Edited by Lyichir

Ninjago introduced only a few weapon molds: the dragon sword, the cobra-like snakes, next year's elemental blades, the sais, and many blades used more for vehicles and spinners than for handheld use. Most of the other weapons used standard parts, along with a few new parts which were not exclusively weapons but could be used to make them, like the short chain and "nunchuk handles".

Chima is introducing three new weapons: a new glowy sci-fi axe head and two new glowy sci-fi swords, one good and one bad.

The running theme of these parts is that they fill niches which can't be filled by other parts. As important as Aragorn's sword is, if I recall it's a fairly standard shape, like the sword currently used for him in sets. Sting, on the other hand, is a fairly unique shape, which would be ill-depicted by existing swords and knives, thus necessitating a new mold. It's less about how important they are and more about whether existing parts are sufficient. Consider that almost every Jedi and Sith in Star Wars have lightsabers with unique hilts, but most lightsabers in Lego Star Wars use the exact same hilt, except ones which clearly have a different overall shape like Count Dooku's.

So you're saying that a unique shape weapon necessitates a new mold. In that case Orcrist should be represented by a new mold because although the straight swords suffice for dwarven blades, they in no way resemble Orcrist.