CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Plus, I don't understand why lego would have the same objects/sttuctures portrayed differently in their digital and hard copy forms. For example why would they brand the video game corsair ship as the "lego version" then release a completely different model for hard copy collections and call it the corsair ship? I don't know, that's just me brainstorming and really wanting to see the 2013 sets.

One of the developers from the Tt Lego games sometimes posts here at EB. In one of the threads regarding either Batman or PotC he gave a pretty good description of how the designs come about and when and why they use different designs. The basic rule is wherever an official Lego set design already exists they use it. When it doesn't they will try and create something virtually using Lego rules and tools, but it is not always 100% possible. Some things will have stuff like scale adjusted, or while they look legit cannot be properly supported in the real world. (The in game Flying Dutchman was I think an example used). But surprisingly a lot of the ingame stuff is 100% possible. I think they said the giant Joker Robot from the end of Batman 2 can be fully made in Lego. The only rules broken there were that a lot of the pieces they used do not exist in the colors they used them. Ultimately however they make things in game to service the game and in the interests of making a good game. Not of developing MOC's or new Lego set designs.

d06ea6c7f23b28a065b3eb9956a8abad.png?1353864092

As a coincidence, months ago I made a picture of what I'd like Gothmog to look like, this;

8248093496_a8a6e4a98b.jpg

But I would love for it to come with a new hairpiece, like the goblins.

The coolest of all would be Éowyn vs. the Witchking of Angmar : )

An Osgiliath set would also be awesome, with a Faramir who can marry Éowyn, and lots of good bricks.

I found these images in a new group of photos revealed from the film, and I think that we can take these as possible hints as to what we should see come December 2013.

Smaug

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey_41.jpg

Elven and Dwarven soldiers

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey_42.jpg

And here is the whole gallery

http://www.filmofilia.com/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-images-127072/

I'm a little skeptical on the Smaug pic. It could be that this is some ditched concept art, because it seems strange that, while any finished images of the character are kept under extreme wraps, this would get released. As for the Elven and Dwarven designs, I believe they are images from some new online Hobbit game that came out recently. While that may make these images seem less likely to be official, the Legolas images from the game show him in armour that matches that of his minifig from the Mirkwood Spiders set.

Regardless, I would absolutely LOVE to see that Elven helmet as a LEGO piece!

That Galadriel pic is stunning. I agree about Smaug, it does look like a concept pic and even still, I don't think it looks like a great Dragon design.

I'm a little skeptical on the Smaug pic. It could be that this is some ditched concept art, because it seems strange that, while any finished images of the character are kept under extreme wraps, this would get released.

That picture has been around the net for a while now, I'd be surprised if it was sourced from the hobbit movie.

I have my fingers crossed that he turns out red.

And while I'm hoping that Smaug doesn't look like that, I think he would make an excellent (and very large) set.

Heads up, hadn't seen this posted in the thread yet:

Incase it won't load for people...

-Battle of the Black Gate minifigs: looked like Gandalf the White, Witchking, & 3 I count not discern

-Ghost/pirate ship (will not remember what it was called) about 10-12 minifigs, looks like some immortal... Looked very excited both structurally and especially when it came minifigsen!

Looks to confirm the Corsairs rumored earlier.

If there is a Black Gate set coming out, then that isn't the Witch-King, but the Mouth of Sauron! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Also, 10-12 minifigs for the Corsair set seems like a lot. It better be a pretty substantial ship.

Does anyone think there's the possibility of a boern minifig? With him being a skin changer they can give an alternate bear head (like remus lupin/werewolf on harry potter or add a bear to the set.

Does anyone think there's the possibility of a boern minifig? With him being a skin changer they can give an alternate bear head (like remus lupin/werewolf on harry potter or add a bear to the set.

I think it's highly likely. Beorn's house is one of the stand out fixed structures/locations in the movies. Something that they can do well in Lego. Plus it lets them make use of their new Bear molds. We probably will not see it until the second movie comes out however. Am I wrong in thinking Beorn would be on about the same scale as Hagrid?

If there is a Black Gate set coming out, then that isn't the Witch-King, but the Mouth of Sauron! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Also, 10-12 minifigs for the Corsair set seems like a lot. It better be a pretty substantial ship.

I'm betting it would be 6 real Minifigs and a handful of plain skellies.

-Battle of the Black Gate minifigs: looked like Gandalf the White, Witchking, & 3 I count not discern

-Ghost/pirate ship (will not remember what it was called) about 10-12 minifigs, looks like some immortal... Looked very excited both structurally and especially when it came minifigsen!

Looks to confirm the Corsairs rumored earlier.

If this is true, I am (potentially) very pleased. But yes, probably Mouth of Sauron ( :excited: ), although Witch King would be awesome (but prefer a battle against Eowyn set). Hopefully more horses? Please? A white one? Please? "Hmmmmm, the halfling was dear to thee I see..." (evil stanky grin)

Looks like we might be getting our corsair ship, I wonder if it's when it gets boarded or when it docks? (ie will it have pirates (including Peter Jackson :laugh: ) or orcs)

Bring on Gandalf the White and Mouth of Sauron!

I'm still crossing my fingers for an Eowyn vs Witch-King on Fell Beast set next year.

Of the rumored sets, I like the Battle of the Black Gate the best. I agree with wesker that the Eowyn Vs Witch-King is my dream set. I would like it to include two horses with the Rohan bridle printing from the video game, Théoden with custom hair and his regular helmet, Eowyn and Merry with a new Rohan helmet, and the Witch-King with his fell beast. I am a big Rohan fan though so the more options for them the better.

I guess we will wait and see if those come to fruition, but I am very pleased with the idea. I wasn't expecting that big of a ship to incorporate that many figures. I would be disappointed if they made the army of the dead into skeleton bodies. I probably would go on strike then. Especially with how they looked in the video game.

And I agree, a witch-king figure would be awesome, but I would expect it with Eowyn as everyone else has stated and I'd much prefer the Mouth at the Black Gate (that'd make more sense anyway). After seeing the video game version, I hope they do it similarly (or better). Unfortunately, looking at the scene in the movie, it will be all the same figures we've had outside of Gandalf the White and Mouth/Witch-King...So hopefully some nice new prints or something to incorporate that line-up. But more than likely Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli would be there, but they could/would also be in the ship set too, unless they had a whole bunch of corsairs and only 1 or 2 of the opposition.

I have a feeling that the Black Gate set will have the Mouth, Aragorn in his King outfit, and then rather than having Legolas and Gimli, they could have Pippin in armour and a few orcs with a new printed armour piece like those seen in the video game. Plus, maybe this set will be the first to have the supposed updated horse barding that LEGO said was being designed for the new horses.

I also hope that the Army of the Dead gets treated like they were in the video game. They could easily make them be sand green figures with the proper coloured printing, but then also make the printing glow in the dark, like the Mummy from the Monster Fighters theme. That way there is a sense of ghostliness without having to sacrifice the traditional minifigure body. Plus, that set could include the orc with the skeleton head on its helmet and the scythe. Could even throw in Gothmog just as a way of getting him into a set, since the only other possiblity that I see would be an Osgiliath set, which is equally as possible.

Considering the Mouth of Sauron only appeared in the Extended Edition I would be a little surprised if he was included in a set. Not that I mind in the least if he is included... Bring on more awesome minifigs!

I guess we will wait and see if those come to fruition, but I am very pleased with the idea. I wasn't expecting that big of a ship to incorporate that many figures. I would be disappointed if they made the army of the dead into skeleton bodies. I probably would go on strike then. Especially with how they looked in the video game.

And I agree, a witch-king figure would be awesome, but I would expect it with Eowyn as everyone else has stated and I'd much prefer the Mouth at the Black Gate (that'd make more sense anyway). After seeing the video game version, I hope they do it similarly (or better). Unfortunately, looking at the scene in the movie, it will be all the same figures we've had outside of Gandalf the White and Mouth/Witch-King...So hopefully some nice new prints or something to incorporate that line-up. But more than likely Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli would be there, but they could/would also be in the ship set too, unless they had a whole bunch of corsairs and only 1 or 2 of the opposition.

I think the only way they could do the army of the dead would be skeleton bodies done in the new MF gitd plastic, with armor and helms, kinda like how they did the Ninjago skeletons. Gitd skeleton with partial chest and shoulder armor, boots, helm and a tattered white cloak.

Edited by Faefrost

That is definitely viable. I still love how they turned out in the video game and all that would need is some nice printing to give the illusion of bones and whatnot. I mean, the females look like they have curves with a little printing and it differs from the men easily enough. I do like the idea of GITD for them though, but just regular sand green might work depending on how they did it.

And I didn't realize there were any other versions other than the Extended editions. I've only watched those and I don't know why I would want to cut out almost an hour of footage on each movie (30 minutes, 42 minutes, and 50 minutes extra). So in that case, I would love a Mouth figure. He'd be awesome.

Wow, the Black Gate set is a surprise! I'd definitely like to pick that up, and it's nice to get a Gandalf the White. So is the Black Gate the one "TBA" LOTR/The Hobbit 2013 set then? The other two confirmed were Frodo with a Ringwraith and an Eagle Nest.

And I didn't realize there were any other versions other than the Extended editions. I've only watched those and I don't know why I would want to cut out almost an hour of footage on each movie (30 minutes, 42 minutes, and 50 minutes extra). So in that case, I would love a Mouth figure. He'd be awesome.

Because the 3.5 - 4 hour movies are too long, don't-you-know, and a 3 hour movie isn't. :hmpf_bad:

I only watch the extended versions, all the extra bits are good & worth it. I have no problem watching a long movie so long as it's interesting. The ending bores me to death though. Press stop when the eagles pick up Frodo & Sam.

Considering the Mouth of Sauron only appeared in the Extended Edition I would be a little surprised if he was included in a set. Not that I mind in the least if he is included... Bring on more awesome minifigs!

That's kind of the same problem with the Corsair ship set. The ships barely appear in the theatrical release version. Only very briefly when the army of the dead arrive at Minas Tirith. The long scene where Aragorn leads the dead in taking the ships is a deleted scene that only appears on the extended editions. The Corsairs themselves only appear on the extended editions of RotK.

Edited by Faefrost

That's kind of the same problem with the Corsair ship set. The ships barely appear in the theatrical release version. Only very briefly when the army of the dead arrive at Minas Tirith. The long scene where Aragorn leads the dead in taking the ships is a deleted scene that only appears on the extended editions. The Corsairs themselves only appear on the extended editions of RotK.

Peter Jackson himself considers the "extended editions" to be the "real" versions, let's hope TLG does too.

Ah, but dont forget he was in the book! Any how, the rumor list sounds pretty interesting.

Cant wait for more!

For some reason I think the person who originally posted these rumors mistook the Mouth of Sauron for the Witch-king.

I still hope we'll see the Witch-king in another set in the same wave, though.