CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Very interesting screen shots. Some aren't too bad, but some, if they are supposed to reference real sets, are really disappointing.

• Edoras could be a great $60ish dollar set, but that looks like a $30 turd.

• Grond should be the ram and a large gate and that's it. Offer an Uruk-hai Army type of set with white bricks and Gondor soldiers that can attach to either side and you're in business.

• The Argonath does look cool. I'm fine with that scale.

Just beat the game and the bonus level was a mixture of expectation and disappointment. Rivendell was a complete failure in comparison and some like Lothlorien has potential. I just hope if Rivendell gets released it will be a 200-300 dollar exclusive like the Star Wars masterpiece collector sets. In the meanwhile a small section would be nice like the pavilion with council chamber, the stairs with Narsil in library, the Archway entrance over the valley, or a watchtower where in the Hobbit they have a guard stationed like this:

http://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/3/30/Bilbo_in_Rivendell_-_The_Hobbit.PNG

The guard is in upper right corner

I think the Rivendell set looks most realistic for something Lego would do based on what we have already seen with their offerings. It makes more sense for Lego to take an iconic piece of the location and make it into a small-ish set rather than it does for them to try and recreate the whole place and fail miserably. I mean can you imagine trying to create all the vegetation, mountains, waterfalls, and actual architect of Rivendell in a single set? It could easily cost hundreds and still look extremely unfinished.

As for the other sets I'm not impressed. Minas Tirith looks like some cartoon chibi version of the real thing. Edoras is mostly focused on the villager houses and not the actual keep which should be the main focus. The Orthanc tower itself looks ok, but the gate around it looks thrown together. Also why do most of these look like huge blocks/surfaces with no texture or distinction between bricks? They look horrendous from those screen shots. Is this how bad the rest of the game really looks?

Is this how bad the rest of the game really looks?

No, these are from the bonus level where you destroy Middle Earth. The game looks fantastic, the best Lego game yet IMO.

I may be warming up to Rivendell but I wonder why in the game they have I think two pieces which are almost identical. Is Lego planning on releasing only one little piece or will the set have another part like in the game but maybe a different addition.

Grond sounds like a good idea with Gothmog and some Mordor orcs and maybe some Gondor soldiers. Corsair ship would be fine if it included Aragorn with Anduril and the King of the Dead with some Dead warriors. I would find the Frodo and Ringwraith set decent if it included Arwen with Asfaloth or if it went the route of a Nazgul on Fell Beast with ruins of Osgiliath.

Like this:

http://media.photobu...stOsgiliath.jpg

But then we wouldn't get the more obvious set of the Witchking with Eowyn and Merry. Unless that would be left for another wave.

Edited by Mahtion

I hate to cast any gloom over the proceedings but do we have reliable evidence that there will be ANY LotR sets next year at all???

March would seem an odd time for LEGO to release them for one, and some of the ideas sound unlikely to capture the imagination of children and more importantly the wallets of their parents.

I hate to cast any gloom over the proceedings but do we have reliable evidence that there will be ANY LotR sets next year at all???

This image has already been posted earlier in the thread but I'll post it again:

8138388507_a00ff6b45e_z.jpg

Thanks for sharing that picture of the Sauron figure, awesome!! You said he walks around with Mouth of Sauron, is there a picture of him? I'd like to recreate him if possible.

What do you all think..

We have the 3 LOTR Lady's

Galadriel, Eowyn & Arwen... In the movie they all have a dresses, But in the game it's printed on Lego Legs.

What do you all think Lego is doing if these figures will be released.. Will it be a printed Brick or the Legs

I think that both Eowyn and Arwen have to have legs so they can mount horses like they did in the movies. Galadriel may not have to since in LotR she is never riding a horse. However, Galadriel is likely in a combat role for The Hobbit,

So let's have legs on all three please.

The playable Arwen, Galadriel and Eowyn all had legs as opposed to painted brick pieces in the LOTR Lego game.

Maybe none of the LOTR or Hobbit line will have female characters with rigid rock dresses.

Edited by Mahtion

So theirs 2 Saurons, a minifigure version and a Hero Factory Version.

So theirs 2 Saurons, a minifigure version and a Hero Factory Version.

2 styles of Sauron in the game. If they ever make a set with Sauron in it, it'll either be a show-down in Dol Guldor or the fight with Elendil and Isildur on Mount Doom. Either way, he'd need to be HF style or even brick built Lex-Luthor-robot style to carry off the size distinction. What a great set that would be.

2 styles of Sauron in the game. If they ever make a set with Sauron in it, it'll either be a show-down in Dol Guldor or the fight with Elendil and Isildur on Mount Doom. Either way, he'd need to be HF style or even brick built Lex-Luthor-robot style to carry off the size distinction. What a great set that would be.

Never considered the Lex Luthor suit idea. That could be a really good set if they could pull it off. They'd need to have Sauron be big enough to warrant enough pieces to make the set mostly consist him and the figs. They could have a separate section of rock where Elendil could be flung and Isildur cuts the Ring from Sauron's hand, but if they did a set similar in size to the Lex Luthor set, it would sell so well.

Thank you for the pictures. I have to say that I highly doubt that those are the finished sets for several reasons. First, I noticed that the design of the Orthanc tower chanced slightly from picture 1 to picture 2 and I judging from the current sets out I don't think that they are on par with what Lego has done so far with the LOTR/Hobbit line so I tend to think that those are very, very early concept images or they are nothing at all. I am very impressed with the Sauron figure. I really hope that Lego makes him and releases the Elrond minifig in another more accessible set. :classic:

I think you people are severly overestimating the size of sauron in the movie. He looks great as a normal sized minifig, if he needs some extra height, the Woody(toys story) legs/arms would work very well in my opinion.

Heres a full body shot of treebeard from the game he looks pretty good, especialy when moving. I'd like to see soemone build him in real legos. http://cdn.steampowered.com/v/gfx/apps/214510/ss_4c1615fc197c690cc2521171e75c7a3cc1bacfce.1920x1080.jpg

Edited by deskp

I think you people are severly overestimating the size of sauron in the movie. He looks great as a normal sized minifig, if he needs some extra height, the Woody(toys story) legs/arms would work very well in my opinion.

Heres a full body shot of treebeard from the game he looks pretty good, especialy when moving. I'd like to see soemone build him in real legos. http://cdn.steampowe...e.1920x1080.jpg

Agreed. Sauron was maybe 10ft tall compared to the 6ft-7ft Elves and Numenoreans, in the movie he wasn't that big as depicted in the opening level of LOTR Lego. Definitely no where as big as Treebeard for certain.

Edited by Mahtion

Treebeard! :excited: He is by far one of the best charecters (gandalf, merry, and pippen are also amazing) in LOTR, so that set is going on my wish list. I don't think saruman needs extra height and I can't see TLG doing any extra height, but I can live without it. And a brick built Balrog! *oh2* Please be true!

Edited by GandalfofHoth

sup2yous: We've already seen that months ago.

Could be good for those who haven't seen it yet, though.

Also, that's not just a *possible* Isengard set, it really is Isengard.

Edited by General Magma

Thank you for the pictures. I have to say that I highly doubt that those are the finished sets for several reasons. First, I noticed that the design of the Orthanc tower chanced slightly from picture 1 to picture 2 and I judging from the current sets out I don't think that they are on par with what Lego has done so far with the LOTR/Hobbit line so I tend to think that those are very, very early concept images or they are nothing at all.

I believe the Orthanc tower model from the game was just broken into two sections since it's so tall and wouldn't all fit on screen at once unless you zoomed way out. It had the top/upper part of it in one screenshot and then the base/lower level in another with the surrounding wall.

Edited by Deathleech

A Lothlorien set in that style would be acceptable, as long as it came packed with good Elf armybuilders - Galadriel would be in there obviously, but hopefully some Lothlorien Elves and some in Galadhrim armor.

The Galadhrim armored ones would be two royal guards and the set would include 2 Lothlorien grey garbed archers and of course Galadriel. Poor Doriath born Celeborn would probably be absent in order to include Frodo and the mirror.

Edited by Mahtion