CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

That was a fun little watch. I can't wait to see if any of those get designed. I would gladly welcome all into my collection. If they only made LOTR sets next year and no other theme, I would be okay with that :tongue:

It would be nice if we got the Elf hair variants from that video. The female hair for Galadriel and Arwen, the crowned headpiece for Elrond (Third Age) and other Elven Lords, and the Helmetted hair piece for Second and Third Age Elves. I'm sure they could make it ambiguous enough that it would do for both armies, similar to the Rohan Helmet.

I liked all the characters in the video. Being a very strong Rohan fan, I really liked the different printings of characters such as Eowyn and Theoden. I even liked the bridle printing for their horses. I wonder if we could ever get a LEGO sword specific for Theoden. I might be partial as I have a life size prop replicate of that sword hanging on my living room wall.

There was only two other Rohan minifigs in that video. One for Háma, Theoden's doorward and the elderly archer in Helms Deep. I would have rather had that archer in the Helm's Deep set and have Haldir come in some elf battle pack.

There was also a variant of Frodo and Sam and things get more desperate for them.

Frodo and Ringwraith sounds interesting, and hopefully a cheaper way to amass nine of them! :laugh: I'm hoping it will be one of two set ideas: either on the road out of the Shire, with just Frodo and the Ringwraith, or their encounter on the road to Rivendell, with Arwen on a horse as well as Frodo and the Ringwraith. I, personally, would prefer the latter. :wink:

Pirate Ship is a set I'd love to get! Hopefully it would have some Corsairs and some of the Soldiers of the Dead, maybe even the King of the Dead! :sweet:

Eagle's Nest could be a few things, so I'll just wait for any thoughts on this one...

The mix of the first three leaked sets plus the next four would make for an interesting selection, which would cover a lot of price points.

But having an eagle's nest as part of the LOTR range rather than the Hobbit range would be daft - sure, the eagles are important rescuers in LOTR, but they're pretty central to the Hobbit (ok, as rescuers as well) and the nests hemselves appear there not in LOTR. That makes me think that the Dutch site is more of a jumble of different sets from both ranges. You would think that surely there's bound to be an eagles set in the next Hobbit wave, but then TLG has decided to release two other takes on eagles sets in 2013, which leaves me wondering - you wait for 39 years for a lego eagle and three flap along at once. After all, if we were to think about the Middle-Earth range sensibly we'd think that:

1.Aragorn wouldn't have tan trousers, but would have maybe a bit of green somewhere and a cloak.

2. Legolas's hairpiece would have been designed to work with a quiver.

3. Saruman would have been in the Orc Forge.

4. The Orc Forge! As one of the first sets! Seriously!

5. Baldy Gandalfs just look a bit odd, so if you can design a beardy/hair combo to work with Blackbeard, you can do one for the most famous magician in the world, after Merlin, and maybe David Blaine. And Harry Potter, sadly.

6. If you can do leg printing, you can leg print some feet for the hobbits.

So I suppose what I'm saying is that Orthanc, the Bridge of Khazad Dum, Treebeard, and Frodo's encounter with a Ringwraith (in the Shire) are really logical and very exciting sets, whereas an eagle's nest and a Corsair ship are slightly odder choices for LOTR, but TLG's made a few pretty odd choices in this range already.

Maybe we should move on to discussing the most random sets or features we can think of for the next wave and see if any make it. How about the Green Dragon Inn with a turntable to allow for "Hobbit dancing playfeature". And some flickfire missiles of course ...

Frodo and Ringwraith sounds interesting, and hopefully a cheaper way to amass nine of them! :laugh: I'm hoping it will be one of two set ideas: either on the road out of the Shire, with just Frodo and the Ringwraith, or their encounter on the road to Rivendell, with Arwen on a horse as well as Frodo and the Ringwraith. I, personally, would prefer the latter. :wink:

Splendid idea! Female character and Nazgul in one pack!

Has anyone played the bonus level "middle earth" on the lego lord of the rings video game? The bonus level is found either deep in rivendell or lothlorien, im not sure where I was. During the level you play as sauron (with his badass mace) and mouth of sauron and get to go crazy destroying all of middle earth. Every structure is brick built and the structures from the first wave of the lotr (weathertop, mines of Moria, helms deep) are built the exact same way they are built in the sets. In this level there is also a brick built orthanc, minis tirith, rivendell and a couple structures from mordor . Since the structures in this level from the first wave are built the same as the real released sets ( weathertop, helms deep, mines of moria) , does that mean that the buildings in this level could spell out what future sets will look like? The minis tirith is actually pretty cool looking. Has this ever happened with previous lego video games like harry potter star wars or potc?

Wow even if they wont be released as sets I would like to see the brickbuilt versions for inspiration.

I am on the level with the Pelennor Fields taking down the Mumakils. I will definitely have to try out this level once I finish the main story.

After googling I found one very bad quality video on youtube but if someone could take some pics of these structures found in the bonus level 2 I would appreciate it highly.

Edited by Mahtion

Has anyone played the bonus level "middle earth" on the lego lord of the rings video game? The bonus level is found either deep in rivendell or lothlorien, im not sure where I was. During the level you play as sauron (with his badass mace) and mouth of sauron and get to go crazy destroying all of middle earth. Every structure is brick built and the structures from the first wave of the lotr (weathertop, mines of Moria, helms deep) are built the exact same way they are built in the sets. In this level there is also a brick built orthanc, minis tirith, rivendell and a couple structures from mordor . Since the structures in this level from the first wave are built the same as the real released sets ( weathertop, helms deep, mines of moria) , does that mean that the buildings in this level could spell out what future sets will look like? The minis tirith is actually pretty cool looking. Has this ever happened with previous lego video games like harry potter star wars or potc?

Anyone have pictures of this?

It has not happened in previous games, and from what i remember, the structures in this level doesent look like they are the right scale to be made into sets.

Edit: played the level again, the scale is waay too small for any playsets

Edited by deskp

I disagree that the structures are too small considering the weathertop, helms deep, and mines of Moria are built to scale from the actual first wave of lotr sets. If I remember correctly the sauron and mouth of sauron figs are a little bigger than the normal figs in the game. Now im sure the structures in this level aren't built "exactly" the same as the sets could be but they do show how these sets could be made. I would be completely happy with a minis tirith and other structures (orthanc rivendell ) that are built like the one in this level.

I have pictures of each of the buildings so ill post them up when I get a chance today.

^ looking forward to the pictures, I should be getting my game soon :)

Alright here are the pictures i promised. Obviously some of the sets have already been released (helms deep, weathertop, and mines of moria). I included the pictures of these sets to compare with the sets that arent actually official yet. The pictures included what i believe to be a lothlorien tree house, rivendell (the scene where the fellowship is formed), isengard (orthanc), the statues of the ' kings of old' from the end of the the Fellowship of the ring movie, edoras and minis tirith (with the ram used to batter in the gate in the battle of pellenor fields, i cant think of its name) . There is also a mordor area with the tower of sauron (with the eye) and the black gate but i forgot to take a picture of it.

8215250509_dc55899c0b.jpg

New Image by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8215252851_e8ae38ffc0.jpg

2012-11-24_02-08-40_156 by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8212478817_579e2a2c71.jpg

Weathertop, helms deep, mines of Miriam by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8212478707_a799eb1e18.jpg

8213564244_f21b05e5e8.jpg

8212477983_c411a0194b.jpg

Lothlorien tree house? by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8212476193_aa5797bcd2.jpg

Rivendell by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8212476095_99ec347685.jpg

8213561738_29f5740909.jpg

8213561000_82f138cf8b.jpg

Isengard/orthanc by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8213560864_1b2859c9a2.jpg

Isengard/orthanc by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8212471811_d7f6c241f0.jpg

Minis tirith in bonus level by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8212471645_86e281ff3f.jpg

Minis tirith in bonus level by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8213550160_2f8fba41a0.jpg

2012-11-24_02-07-15_379 by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

8213548670_425bf3c294.jpg

2012-11-24_02-07-15_379 by jhc2nmfn, on Flickr

Edited by jhc2nmfn

Lothlorien tree house, Rivendell, and Grond look like they come from sets. Which is unfortunate, since Rivendell looks like crap.

Orthanc looks like a microscale set - LOTR Architecture series, anyone?

Edoras looks too simple to be a set (at that size), Argonath and Minas Tirith have too many unconventional and unstable building techniques (plus Minas Tirith looks to be microscale as well).

I couldn't help but watch a compilation of all cut scenes of the upcoming video game. It shows soooo many figures I'd absolutely love to see in brick form! The eagles appeared molded with movable wings, similar to the fellbeast. Faramir and the Gondorian rangers look great, Aragorn's kingly outfit would be nice to have, and I really hope for a hairpiece seen in both white wizards. Isildur possibly takes the cake as the best looking mini, but there are simply limitless opportunities for future sets.

If anybody wants to watch it, here's the link. It's humorous, and I didn't think there were any spoilers (not if you've watched the movies, anyway).

WOW! I like the helmets from the elves and from the gondorian soldiers at the last alliance battle at the beginning of this game. I could not watch further because there are to much spoilers. :grin:

Yes. The possibilities are amazing. I assume we will see the Elrond LEGO figure from this video game in one of the LEGO sets by the next LotR wave (summer 2013). :sweet:

These really look like forecomming sets of LOTR 2013.. All the other sets that you see have been released..

I Think all the sets look crap on digit screen, but we know in real the sets are fantastic. So I also think

the sets we seen there would be better in real!

So if we get 8 sets I hope it wil be one like this

- Balrog ( Balrog & Gandalf )

- Isengard Tower ( Gandalf, Saruman & Grima, and some Orks )

- Rivendell ( Arwen, Elrond, Gandalf, Frodo, Old Bilbo)

- Lothrien ( Galadriel, Celeborn, Legolas, Gimli )

- Minis Tirith ( Denethor, Faramir, Aragon, Pippin, Gandalf )

- Treebeard ( Merry, Peppin, Treebeard, Grishnakh Orc)

- Climb to mount Doom ( Sam, Gollem, Frodo )

- Sauron on Rider ( Sauron, Eowyn, Merry, Kind Theodon & 2 Horses)

- Golden Hall ( Eowyn, Theodon Cursed, Grima, Gandalf the white, Aragon, Guards)

What do you all think?

Thanks for the pictures. They're interesting, but not overly impressive as potential sets.

- Sauron on Rider ( Sauron, Eowyn, Merry, Kind Theodon & 2 Horses)

FYI, that is the Witch king, not sauron that those people figth.

This is Sauron:

1hwnqs.jpg

Edited by deskp

I do like some of the sets in the bonus level though:

- The battering-ram is just perfect for 'Uruk-hai army' battle pack theme, maybe an exclusive minifig 'That ugly one-eyed Orc captain' (forgot his name)

- Those 2 Argonath statues with 2 canoes.

- Lothlorien Trees could be a bit higher (maybe add 1 flight of stairs) but I like the potential of it.

- Rohan is also a tad to small but I would understand Lego making it because they need sets in several price categories. (Maybe an exclusive: sick Theoden)

- I believe we already saw the Orthanc set elsewhere... That version was indeed bigger...

On a sidenote: No tracks of The Hobbit sets in Belgium yet. (The LotR-sets are selling like hot cakes here.)

Usually these tidbits (dutch toy store) tend to be true, so let me say I am rather surprised, as Frodo and the Ringwraith is a part of the recently released Weathertop set. That's an odd choice. Weathertop came even with 2 Ringwraiths & horses, so it's hard to get what they're planning with this. Also, we all know they want to make money and are holding back battlepacks as long as possible, but I don't have to like that. And who needs half a dozen of Frodos to get some more Ringwraiths? Not really anyone. IF you throw in an Arwen minifig, it's a completely different case, though..

The pirate ship? Seriously? As this is a rather unknown and unimportant faction from the last minutes of the trilogy, the reason to throw them into the lineup is probably that TLC wants a ship to be on the shelf. And even if it might be an interesting set, I may likely pass, as a pirate ship is the last thing that comes to my mind when I think of LotR.

Eagles nest? Sounds refreshing. Yeah, I know about Creator and Chima, but still, it's something new. It's probably very very interesting for me.

The other rumours I don't comment, as these sound not qualified yet to seriously talk about them. I might be wrong, though. I tend to be.

I do like some of the sets in the bonus level though:

- The battering-ram is just perfect for 'Uruk-hai army' battle pack theme, maybe an exclusive minifig 'That ugly one-eyed Orc captain' (forgot his name)

His name was Gothmog.

In movie:

GOTHMOG_of_M.M..jpg

And in Lego LOTR videogame:

Gothmog.png

That Gothmog figure is pretty nice - the head, less so... he should be tan as well, and he didn't have yellow eyes, plus there's way too much red on him.

Looks like I didn't have it completely right when I tried to make a Gothmog fig design that looked like something TLG might go for:

d06ea6c7f23b28a065b3eb9956a8abad.png?1353864092

Edited by General Magma

Thanks for the pictures! Those all look really nice, but some appear to be miniscale. Others though, like that Rivendell one, look like thay might be real! I'd love the Lothlorien tree house and Edoras too! :blush: