CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I don't feel that an invisible Frodo is necessary. Look at the picture from the Barrel Escape set. Bilbo is clearly meant to be wearing the Ring, but they didn't go to the bother of making a special figure, because people can use their imagination with the figs. Sure, an invisible Ring bearer fig would be an awesome collectible, but I doubt a kid playing with their figures would really care. They would just pop the Ring on and off the characters hand.

How about a modified CMF Olympic Medal piece, so you could hang the ring around Frodo's neck?

I'm not sure about this list at all. Why only four sets?? And I thought we were getting Orthanc next summer. Smells fishy to me.

I'm so glad there will be more LOTR sets, I was scared thinking we woudn't get any more! :cry_sad:

Besides, I'm sure TLC's new host of sets will all be must buys! Especially if you're a massive LOTR fan like myself! :laugh:

Also, I would love to have Minas Tirith as the January exclusive for 2014! Anyone else with me? :grin:

Ya, it all seems a little iffy to me. Do we have any idea how accurate/reliable this website is? I mean the sets seem almost less likely than the ones the guy earlier this week rumored. Of course we don't even know anything about the list. Is it complete? Is it just from the summer LotR wave? There are so many unanswered questions.

I am excited about any kind of LotR sets which will be released. :sweet:

Hopefully there will be changes at the scope of the new wave. I would suggest a mix of sets which we could buy 'one time' and which we could buy `'several times'.

--> My thougts regarding to the first and the second wave are follows.

There are only sets where are main characters included. But what are you doing if you want to build a complete army?

I like the scope of army building sets by the Star Wars waves. Those waves provides usually 4x or 5x sets with main characters and 2x sets without main characters (they are usually battle pack sets). Those small battle pack sets including 4x minifigures, some bricks and different kind of action features are perfect. :sweet:

Why not the same procedure for LotR? I think that LotR an army building theme is. And therefore are battle packs urgently required.

Did anyone watch The Brick Show,they said that we will see LEGO Lotr sets in March,but LegoLotr and The Hobbit in summer sets,how about that?

Yeah, I don't know about that. The Dutch site has the release date for the four sets as July. Sounds like to me that we are only getting these four this summer. Perhaps the small number is due to the release of the Castle sets so they won't have to compete with LOTR for shelf space?

We are getting so many conflicting reports and the sad part is none of them really make any sense. The Dutch site only has 4 sets listed, a couple seem extremely unlikely this early on in the line's life cycle (Pirate ship (Corsairs) over Ents, Minas Tirith, or a Balrog? Really?), and to top it off those 4 sets are a mix of Hobbit/LotR waves. Why would Lego release Hobbit sets in the summer, instead of the winter when the second Hobbit film is released, and the excitement for them is at it's peak? The guy rumoring the next LotR wave made a little more sense with his "leaked" sets, but the price points and minifigure selection seemed way off and a March release seemed unlikely. Now the Brickshow is basically reporting both the rumors combined it would seem?

I think I have pretty much had it will all these rumors. I am not believe anything till I actually see some evidence.

......and a March release seemed unlikely.

Maybe LEGO will releases one (or more) "exclusive" set(s) by March? :sweet:

(That could become an additional small wave between the winter and summer wave.)

From my point of view would "The Betrayal of Isengard" make sense since the biggest set of the Hobbit wave is not very big and the price for the Orthanc tower could be very heavy.

Lego went with a brick built model for Shelob, which makes sense for a spider with lots of joints, but the Goblin King, the Troll have been big plastic figures. The Balrog should be much, much bigger, maybe something the size of the Tyrannosaur from the Dino Hunters line?

I agree and I think it will be as big as the T-Rex. I expect it to be build like the dragon in the Viking sets (so approx 80 pieces) then there will be enough pieces left for some nice scenery

Wouldn't both the Balrog and Treebeard physical LEGOs look the same as the ones we have seen for the video game? There has been several LEGO games such as Star Wars and Batman that would have previewed characters that have not been released yet. Is there a precedent for LEGO to change the look of characters between the two mediums?

Wouldn't both the Balrog and Treebeard physical LEGOs look the same as the ones we have seen for the video game? There has been several LEGO games such as Star Wars and Batman that would have previewed characters that have not been released yet. Is there a precedent for LEGO to change the look of characters between the two mediums?

Well, if LEGO already has designed soemthing they will propably put it in the game, but if they havent then the game developers will create the models for themselves and those won't be sold as lego sets.

Can anybody post a screenshot of Treebeard from the game here? I've seen the Balrog, but not Treebeard, and I'd love to see how they did his face. Was trying to build an ent the other day, and didn't come up with anything very appealing, so I wonder what the "semi-official" version looks like.

If it's how Sauron the Necromancer will look in the movies I really want a fig of him :wub_drool:

Nope,thats just their redesign of the 2. age sauron from last alliance battle. They are taking some liberties with this game.

Personaly I think the original design for him is much much cooler looking.

Lots. Wasn't the Rancor in the Lego SW games brick built? There are often subtle differences between game and actual production sets. See Gandalf's staff as an example. So the games while often well designed using Lego principles do not always get translated into plastic. Whereas the existing plastic will typically be carried back into the game. (does that make sense?)

As an asside, has anyone been able to get a good screenshot of the Armorred form of Sauron from the begining of the game. I would love to try and work out if he is buildable? Although I suspect that they were cheating with the digital sizing, and any actual brick built dark lord would be the size of one of those Super Hero Action Figures.

I couldn't help but watch a compilation of all cut scenes of the upcoming video game. It shows soooo many figures I'd absolutely love to see in brick form! The eagles appeared molded with movable wings, similar to the fellbeast. Faramir and the Gondorian rangers look great, Aragorn's kingly outfit would be nice to have, and I really hope for a hairpiece seen in both white wizards. Isildur possibly takes the cake as the best looking mini, but there are simply limitless opportunities for future sets.

If anybody wants to watch it, here's the link. It's humorous, and I didn't think there were any spoilers (not if you've watched the movies, anyway).

I'm doing what I can to not watch to much of the game before I play it. But I really hope we get a Faramir figure ASAP. He and Eowyn is kindof the last missing heroes.

I couldn't help but watch a compilation of all cut scenes of the upcoming video game. It shows soooo many figures I'd absolutely love to see in brick form! The eagles appeared molded with movable wings, similar to the fellbeast. Faramir and the Gondorian rangers look great, Aragorn's kingly outfit would be nice to have, and I really hope for a hairpiece seen in both white wizards. Isildur possibly takes the cake as the best looking mini, but there are simply limitless opportunities for future sets.

Yeah, I just caught this video on YouTube myself, and was excited to see all these new fig designs. I've been working on a few of the designs myself and posted a few on this thread here (including the Aragorn king design) if you were ever interested in doing decals of these figs, until they are released. I'm planning on uploading designs of Faramir, Grima Wormtongue, Eowyn, Elrond (Rivendell outfit), Isildor, Arwen, Galadriel, and the Army of the Dead & King (to name a few) over time. I've also been in the works to try to get my Dark Knight Rises and Assassin's Creed designs printed and that's getting much closer...so if that works out, I might print some of these figs, too....though not sure. I too wish that those white wizard hair and beard pieces were available...I guess we'll just have to wait, huh? Anyway, I thought since you mentioned that you were interested in these, I'd mention the decal thread if you missed it. Great video and can't wait to play the game! (Haven't got the PC game yet, but have the Elrond fig...helps to have awesome GameStop employees)

Edited by ZCerberus
Removed video from quote