CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Yes they would make good sets, if they are done right. My issue is their price point and minifigure selection. For instance Orthanc as the guy described it in the rumor sounded pretty lame. If it was done like I suggested I think it could be an amazing set.

I think the price is about right in terms of piece count, being between Moria ($80) and Helms Deep ($129) according to lego.com fo rthe American prices (I'm assuming the prices are USD). However, the minifigs are way off. For a set this size, I think it would be best if Lego used TTT plot and had Saruman, Wormtongue, Merry, Pippin, Orcs as well as Treebeard/more Ents.

It would be disappointing if we did not get the whole tower, and instead just one part of it, such as the Palantir room or the roof. Same with Minas Tirith, if we only got a very small part of it. Orthanc is very tall (500ft) and could be made quite easily to fit into 'Lego scale' and look good. Minas Tirith would be much harder.

Orthanc is very tall (500ft) and could be made quite easily to fit into 'Lego scale' and look good. Minas Tirith would be much harder.

Maybe Orthanc could work as an UCS set, like what we see in Star Wars. Alternatively, it be nice to see an Architecture line for Hobbit/LOTR. WETA makes some really great scaled statues of important buildings and such, so it would be great to see something similiar in Lego.

Edited by Hawkman

Am I the only one who remember seeing Orthanc on this image (next to Buzz and Woody):

http://ow.ly/i/HJQX/original

Nope. The Balrog is seen around there as well.

I don't really doubt this information, but it doesn't seem like it comes from an actual source.

Distrust the list all you want but somewhere I feel that this could very well be part of the actual list, even if the minifigs are wrong.

We all thought we saw Orthanc, Treebeard and the Balrog on that designer room image, so those 3 sets may have just been plucked out by that person and that may be the reason we've only heard

of those 3 sets. Of course, they may end up having to push back a few of those sets but I think Orthanc will surely become a real set, I just hope it will have Gandalf the White, Saruman, Grima, some orcs

and perhaps one or two other figs instead.

Edited by General Magma

Interesting to note that the Orthanc in the open room photo does not seem to be taller than the horn tower from Helms Deep at 25 bricks high. Unless that particular shelf is lower than those around it.

Interesting to note that the Orthanc in the open room photo does not seem to be taller than the horn tower from Helms Deep at 25 bricks high. Unless that particular shelf is lower than those around it.

Y'know, I was thinking that a while back too.

Perhaps that list is entirely made up out of what we think we saw with additional figures that would be likely for those sets,

and Orthanc isn't the flagship set after all. I remember making an entire list of most possible LOTR sets in the "Future LOTR Sets" topic,

and I figured Orthanc might be better as a $80 set. What if this is the case now? What if we will see something from Minas Tirith as a flagship set after all?

Edited by General Magma

http://ow.ly/i/HJQX/original on this image I can easily see orthanc and helms deep but the other sets in the corner of the lotr shelf seems to be a battle of osgilliath with a little building with tower and catapult and there also appears to be a dragon on the shelf slightly to the right of that shelf but I could be wrong, it could be my eyesight :S

This is what I think I see when I look at that LOTR shelf:

Balrog

Orthanc

Bag End

Goblin King Battle

Some kind of tree... I don't know what it is, maybe Lothlorien? Doesn't look like the Warg Attack set.

Rivendell (with some trees)

Something that could be Osgiliath, dunno what other kind of grey set it could be...

And Shelob to the far left with Helm's Deep to the far right.

Kez: I think that's something black hidden behind a white part of a set, not a dragon/Fell Beast.

First Shelf:

Mirwood spiders

Sheelob

Elven Tree

Balrog

Next Shelf:

Tree Beard and Bag End

the other two can't tell

Next Shelf:

Orthanc.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but where are the LotR sets in that picture?

To the left of woody & buzz

Does anyone know when this picture was taken? Like a month and year? I'm just curious to know how long they plan ahead...

Edited by Durins Bane

GENERAL MAGMA: I meant that the fell beast was on the second shelf and not behind the white tree, I don't know what that white tree could be though

GENERAL MAGMA: I meant that the fell beast was on the second shelf and not behind the white tree, I don't know what that white tree could be though

If you meant the thing above the tree with the white stuff around it, that's Shelob.

Not taller? It looks certainly taller to me:

orthanc.png

Not taller? It looks certainly taller to me

I was meant to go back and edit that post! :) What I meant to say was it doesn't seem much taller.

I am not saying it's a bad height though, it seems pretty good for Lego scale.

Edited by Seaber

I can almost see a LORIEN TREE? LEFT ROW MIDDLE shelf.

Whats the sets in the top row?

I thought Bag End and the Goblin King Battle, but I could be wrong.

Here's a picture of what a brick-build ent would look like (from the video game)

http://sphotos-c.ak....133076920_n.jpg

I'm not crazy about those ents. I can't place my finger on it exactly, but they just don't look complete. They look really rigid and square, which I know they ar emade from Lego bricks, but even still they need some curves (like the Balrog model). Also I agree, the faces and especially eyes need more detailing to make them pop more.

My most wanted for 2013: Rhosgobel, coming with Radagast, lots of birds and whatever is attacking him in the movie.

It looked like giant spiders coming through the roof in the trailer.

Edited by Deathleech

It looked like giant spiders coming through the roof in the trailer.

That would makes sense in terms of location and tie in with events of the Lord of the Rings - War in the North video game.