Sign in to follow this  
vince726

Building a City..

Hello, I have recently started building a city...I have The town Hall, fire brigade, grand emporium and the pet shop..was wondering if the creator houses would fit in with these, also I was looking at the mine set. any thoughts would be helpful, Thanks..

Welcome to Eurobricks.

I don't have a city layout myself, but have seen larger ones that flow really well from CBD (using the big modulars) to suburbs (using the Creator houses) to beach or rural (using City or Creator sets). In my opinion, these work really well. Some of them are quite stunning, actually.

You can see some examples right here on Eurobricks. Just go to the Town forum, and then the LEGO Town Main Street, which is one of the pinned topics. In there, under "MOCs", is a link to layouts that have been posted here. You can also find a lot of examples on brickshelf and flickr.

Welcome to Eurobricks vince726. Your topic belongs in the Town forum, and I will be moving it there shortly.

thanks for the help, Im new to this site and am trying to navigate it.. I really like the creator houses but the guy at lego said they were not the same size as the bigger buildings, so he turned me against them..

They're not the same size but they are very close to having the same scale.

Town hall buildings and department stores are usually much bigger than houses in real life, after all :P

In my opinion they seem to fit fairly well together. The creator houses are very good for modding, and now that they come with minifigs, the scale is fairly easy to see. Also, I think they can fit well because in a decent sized layout the creator house wouldn't necessarily be right next to Grand Emporium or the like. Won't look so out of place if not right up against each other.

You will have to MOC a lot if you want to create a town layout with Modulars.

The older creator houses were bigger and, in my opinion, can fit with the modular building in the same diorama, maybe in a separate "residential area".

The newer ones are too small, but with some spare bricks can be easily modded. Two or three creator houses makes a decent modular building. It's a good starting point, you can get more specialized bricks later, via bricklink or pick-a-brick.

Go on YouTube and search Lego Town(or city). There are some great examples of Towns, and as mentioned, here too. The Creator houses work perfectly well with Modulars. Not every buildings are big, 3 story complexes. The houses are a great compliment. I'll echo what's been said, Modulars are the downtown/business section, and put the houses on the outskirts and beaches(in the case of the two). I have all the Creator houses and they don't look odd along with the Modulars. So, buy, buy, buy!

Edited by Legocrazy81

A new mayor arrives in Eurobricks :classic: . Welcome to Eurobricks, a great site to be on and present your MOCs. I've always been a fan of this forum's layouts, so i am waiting to see yours!

Depending on the size of the city it can be quite difficult to get the balance right between the large buildings (Modulars) and the Small buildings (City or Creator).

If the City is very spread out over a large area then fitting both types of buildings can be a very easy task since you can easily fill in the areas between them, However if the City is quite small and compact then you might have to do some modifying to the Creator buildings to maybe increase the size, or alternatively redesigning them to fit in with the modular buildings.

or might be more work, but you could try to decrease the size of the Modulars to give yourself even more buildings for the city (Might sound weird but could make some very interesting builds! :wink: )

or might be more work, but you could try to decrease the size of the Modulars to give yourself even more buildings for the city (Might sound weird but could make some very interesting builds! :wink: )

I think this would be quite interesting. Added to the list of things to try ...