Sign in to follow this  
MarkusOSX

Export from LDD to .ldr --> Missing Parts

Hi there,

i´ve got a question about the export function from LDD to ldr format.

I export my technic model (aprox.1900 parts) from LDD to ldr file and open it for example with bricksmith. But there are so many parts missing then.

Model in LDD

8145987530_ecf3e74bdc_c.jpg

Model in Bricksmith

8145956853_e0d1c49497_z.jpg

I believe all of the parts are in the LDraw library but it seems that they have maybe another number there.

Is there an easy way to fix this problem ?

Greetz

Markus

Edited by MarkusOSX

I am sorry Markus, I think, there is no simple solution.

Actually, the problem is more complex than it seems. It is not engough to just map the part numbers. LDD parts have different origin point (central point) and different initial orientation than LDRAW parts. This means, that for each part you have find a transformation that properly recalculated LDD position of the part to LDRAW position. And this is timeconsuming and was done only for some parts.

Thx for the Info hrontos.

So i need to replace the missing parts manually if I want my model as LDraw file......damn

Greetz

Markus

Edited by MarkusOSX

So i need to replace the missing parts manually if I want my model as LDraw file......damn

I know, it's annoying...that's why it's better to start out with LDraw in the first place. :wink:

:tongue:

I wonder, if there is any interest to add the missing transformations? It looks like one possible solution to do it is to build the same two part model in LDD and in LDRAW. One known and one new part. By putting the new part in the same position relative to known part it is possible to automatically derive transformation needed for the new part. Without too many trial/error attempts for each part.

Edited by hrontos

Markus, have you tried export using latest LDraw.xml file available here.

@Hrontos: Yes, there's an interest for that! I even considered writing a tool to build an ldraw.xml entry directly from two ldraw/ldd files using key parts exactly as you describe. But I never acted...

@Philo: that's exactly what I meant. I will write a small program that will take ldr and lxf with the same model having only two parts. One part has to be known in LDRAW..xml for the other the program will output new lines that should be added to LDRAW.xml. Rest will be task for the community, since I do not have the part to part code mapping and doing it from scratch will take me ages.

Great! Tell me if you need some help (especially on LDraw side...). I think the key common part should have some assymetry to make sure that there is no ambiguity in orientation?

I did try updated ldraw.xml v4.40 but had no success with exporting LDD part 64230 aka "Hose, flexible 8.5L"knowing it exists in Ldraw as 73590a.dat: LDD it simply does not write the part into the exported.ldr file...so I edited the ldraw.xml myself adding the part like this:

<Brick ldraw="73590a.dat" lego="64230">
//nevermind transformation tag, I just wanted to see if it shows up in MLCad...

...but to my surprise it did not help - LDD still did not write the part into exported .ldr file at all...further observation of the problem showed that it has something to do with the number representing the brick in LDD, like it is not 64230 or something like that cos when I randomly write it as some other part (manualy) it simply works, just not with 64230 - anyone knows what is going on here? :(