ghoulrealm

Lobster alterations

This is is just a few modifications to the lobster of set 7772, specifically of the head and claws. The original wasn't bad, but I felt it could be much better.

lobster7.jpglobster1.jpg

lobster2.jpglobster6.jpg

I still think the tail should curl under rather than upward, but that is an alteration for another time.

Can you post instructions? I want to make mine like that

I don't have a reliable access to a camera, but I'll see what i can do.

I really like your claws, but the bionicle mask, don't know (maybe because I hate this line...)

I really like your claws, but the bionicle mask, don't know (maybe because I hate this line...)

Try to distance yourself as thinking of it as a bionicle element. :-)

Nice work! Personally, I think the Bionicle mask looks a tad bit strange, but the claw alterations definately improve the look. I assume you used the arm-guard from the posable figure Vladek as the lower claw part. Good work!

My rating: 6.5/10

Nice work! Personally, I think the Bionicle mask looks a tad bit strange, but the claw alterations definately improve the look. I assume you used the arm-guard from the posable figure Vladek as the lower claw part. Good work!

My rating: 6.5/10

The main claw parts are from "7705: Gate Assault" mech sholder armor, and body armor from bionicle 8917 barraki called kalmah (2 toned red and black exoskeleton)

I curious to know your score for the original design.

i've been considering doing some moding to my lobster aswell !!! i personally think there is too much black in LEGOs version.

though, your mod looks too bionicle for me :'-( i know it would help if i distanced myself from the idea that those are bionicle parts, but i just can do it in this situation, especially the head. i like the fact that the aquaraiders monsters are brick built... and not action figures (like bionicle). personally, i would like to see that present in any modification.

i do admit, the claws look better, its just not my thing... cause like i said, too reminicance of LEGO action figures.

are you planning on moding any other AR monsters ??? id like to see them !!!

- BrickMiner

are you planning on moding any other AR monsters ??? id like to see them !!!

- BrickMiner

The mini sea opee is derived of the anglerfish here if you haven't seen it already. As for others, I have played around with the crab but nothing has come from it. And I already have a shark I like better than the aquaraiders version.

fish%20teaser.jpg

you may have seen this before as well.

yes, your shark is good and your opee is great !!! seems you are on a kick with underwater creatures lately... as i saw your horseshoe crab also (that one is really nice).

i am hoping to seem some mods on the squid from 7775... its really nice with the victom in the stomach, but its almost too robotic looking... id like to see someone mod it so the squid look more natural.

keep us posted on lobster updates (as this is my favorite AR animal/monster)

- BrickMiner

Looks nice, but I'd like to see a little more work, mostly on the head.

I don't like Bionicle much, but I love what you did with the claws! the Bionicle might be <insert that tiresome argument> and senceless but they can really make things look organic when you find the right usage.

As for the head, the eyes have to be more defined, so I don't think using this bionical peice works too well here.

I too agree that the lobster has the biggest moding potential, so why modify the crab or angler when it's already perfect? Keep up the good work, Ghoulrealm. *y*

i personally think there is too much black in LEGOs version.

Remember, Lobsters are only bright red after being cooked, when they are alive in the ocean they are mostly black/dark brown.

Remember, Lobsters are only bright red after being cooked, when they are alive in the ocean they are mostly black/dark brown.
ya, i thought about that. there is usually a little green in them too (at least the live ones i see in the grocery store do).

however, when has LEGO been realistic... we have identified that lobsters are usually black, brown, and green... no red. the company rightfully goes for sterotypes and fantasy. so if they are going for the easily identifiable red (which they did), why only make the thing half red ???

all that aside, i guess my biggest point is that the black and red don't mix in perfect visual harmony.

- BrickMiner

The typical culinary lobsters at least here in the States are in fact naturally dark brown\greenish.

They are the american or maine lobster.

There are however several species that are dark and bright red

lobster.jpg

a subspecies of american lobster

Rock%20Lobster.jpg

a spiny or rock lobster

It is believed that the red color is a camouflage of sorts, since in the blue light of the sea, they appear black.

As for the head, the eyes have to be more defined, so I don't think using this bionical peice works too well here.

Yes, I think the eyes are two little. Not too short, but definately too thin.

I too agree that the lobster has the biggest moding potential, so why modify the crab or angler when it's already perfect?
this sounds like a discussion all its own... http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...?showtopic=7644

--------------------------------------------------

The typical culinary lobsters at least here in the States are in fact naturally dark brown\greenish.

They are the american or maine lobster. There are however several species that are dark and bright red

hmmmm... interesting ghoulrealm. i've always believed the folklore that lobsters are only red after you cook 'em.

thanks for the enlightenment !!!

- BrickMiner

Hmm, I'd think that mosty all clawed lobsters are mostly dark red if reddish at all. Do you know the name of that sub species of that American Lobster?

Apparently there is a rare blue American lobster that gets it's strange pigment from a genetic defect and a very rare yellow American lobster that gets it's strange pigment from a very rare genetic defect.

Wow, look at this excerpt from Wikipedia,

On July 13, 2006 a Maine fisherman named Alan Robinson caught a half-and-half lobster, where the colors are perfectly divided on each side of the shell. He submitted the lobster to the local oceanarium which has only seen three lobsters of this kind in 35 years. The chance of finding one is estimated at 1 in 50 million. Lobster shells are usually a blend of the three primary colors: red, yellow and blue. The colors mix to form the greenish-brown color of most lobsters.

I don't know the suspecies name nor can I find some good internet sources on this subject. I think this is an instance in which reference books can be easier\superior to the internet. I need to go to the book store now!

the half&halflobster.jpg

I've seen this before 8-

Apparently there is a rare blue American lobster that gets it's strange pigment from a genetic defect.

I've seen it in a french TV report, it was in Canada. And that blue lobster looks very beautiful! This blue color gives it an extra magical touch...