Sign in to follow this  
Laura Beinbrech

(MOD) ADU Mobile Command Center (Earth Defense HQ Mod)

In post-Final War North America, there is a vast Wasteland, bordered on the West by the undead hordes of the Tomb Kings, on the East by the Federal Republic of America, the Republic of Lakotah and the New Confederate States of America, on the North by the Chaos Wastes and the Lone Star Republic to the South, this land is so savage and lawless that only the most brain-dead zombies or crazed devotees of Khorne, Chaos Lord of War and Bloodshed, would casually venture into them.

There are, however, any number of small settlements and city states scattered throughout the Wastes, and oftentimes, the only difference between their survival and destruction are the few forces of good who regularly risk their lives to patrol the lawless wilderness and bring some kind of law and order to it. The main three are the Federal Republic of America Dragoons, the Lone Star Republic Texas Rangers and the Airborne Demolitions Unit.

The one we are dealing with today is the Airborne Demolitions Unit or ADU, which has an interesting history. Not only is it an elite unit, on par with the Federal Republic of America Special Operations Command (SOComm) and the Texas Rangers, but it is one that, for all intents and purposes, belongs to no nation.

The ADU was originally an elite unit in the North American Union Army just prior to and during the Final War, and after serving with distinction against the nefarious Dr. Regis Blackgaard's elite Blacktron unit, they were rotated off the front lines to counter-insurgency duty in the area of the North Dakota/Saskatchewan border. The antimatter missile exchange that ended the Final War occurred while they were assigned here, allowing them to escape unscathed.

Somehow, during the years following the Final War, they managed to maintain their unit cohesion and core values, becoming one of the only forces of order in the Wastes. They have since become a highly respected mercenary/heroes for hire outfit, with a famous sliding pay scale: Once, they helped an impoverished settlement defeat a particularly notorious raider gang for nothing more than a share of the loot captured from the raider camp and 3 days worth of food and water.

While they have recently established bases in the Republic of Lakotah (where ADU members serve as the elected Chief's personal body guard, similar to the Varangian Guard of the Byzantine Empire) Lone Star Republic (in the Navajo Nation) and the Free State Redmond (Federal Republic of America Exclave on the West Coast), the ADU's mainstay for patrolling the wastes is still the M-115 Mobile Command Center.

8143123711_a2cb772d98_c.jpg

CMD Center Side by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

The Mobile Command Center is pretty much what it says on the box: It combines an Armored Personnel Carrier, Command Control Bunker and Fighter Support in one vehicle.

8143124701_7c44c33642_z.jpg

Module Separation by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

When the Mobile Command center arrives at its operations area, the APC separates from the Command Control module and deploys to combat the enemy, along with the fighter, if need be.

8143154304_ba2a4a22be_z.jpg

Modules Front by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

The APC sports dual 120mm cannons as well as side-mounted blasters, while the Command Control module is equipped with a dual 20mm dual-purpose Vulcan cannon as well as multipurpose missiles and (once the fighter launches) twin anti-aircraft blaster cannons for defensive purposes.

8143123359_4b8e0530cb_z.jpg

Modules Back by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Both modules are also equipped with loading ramps for easy crew access and the command control unit has ladders for the pilot to access the fighter. This particular fighter is one of the last surviving pre-Final War Vic Viper orbital space fighters, and on the day of the antimatter missile exchange, it took part in the general fighter scramble to intercept as many inbound missiles as possible. The Viper and two Sky-Spear Class ships (currently with the Federal Republic of America Air Force) are the only North American Union space fighters to survive the Final War, however its pilot succumbed to severe radiation poisoning from a near miss shortly after landing.

8143155332_2d892afc65_z.jpg

APC Driver Compartment by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

8143123993_e5e2ece5ab_z.jpg

APC Interior by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

The interior of the APC unit is rather cramped, but with heavy Unobtainium armor, armor-plast windows and no flat tires, it provides the equivalent protection and firepower of a medium tank for the crew and squad of power armor troopers it carries into battle.

8143123541_dcdf846c65_z.jpg

Command Control Interior by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

The interior of the Command Control module is somewhat roomier, with a lounge/berthing area as well as consoles for the weapons control and communications personnel and plenty of weapons racks (including a full reload for the multipurpose missile launchers).

(4th wall: Yes, that alien crew member in the lounge drinking coffee is, in fact, reading a copy of the "Daily Prophet"... It's that kind of setting. X) )

....And here's a couple pics of our brave ADU crew defending truth, justice and freedom in the Wastes:

8143155722_7fa1b7e7ef_z.jpg

ADU Squad APC by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

The APC Crew, L-R: Commanding Officer, Gunner, Driver, Senior NCO/Heavy Combat Squad Leader, Heavy Combat Squad Troopers (x3)

8143124349_e85ee0436d_z.jpg

ADU Squad Command Control by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Command Control Crew, L-R: Jetpack Trooper, Squad Leader, Sniper, Demolitions Expert and Vic Viper Pilot.

About the Build: First of all, yes, those ARE Kre-O Battleship series Aliens... I just thought they looked cool and decided to add them to my ad-hoc ADU trooper squad. I ended up using up all my ADU troops and Series 7 Galaxy Squad minifigs for this build, but it was totally worth it. The Nnenn tribute Vic Viper is completely unchanged, and is the first LEGO set I've actually added stickers to in 10 years... The reasons are that IMO, it is perfect the way it is, and this is also my way of honoring Nnenn's memory.

My favorite parts of this mod would have to be the main gun turret, which is probably the most SNOT I've ever used in one place (but it works quite well, I think), and figuring out how to mod the deployable antenna dishes so that the interior was fully enclosed was a challenge, but after a couple of hours I finally found something that worked.... Which I then had to modify further to fit the radar/communications consoles in.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this mod as much as I had building it... I held off getting the Earth Defense HQ set until just about two weeks ago, when I found a couple at Toys R Us, and I now wish I had gotten it sooner (I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Jet Copter Encounter set... If the Camp Hill Barnes and Noble still has it this weekend, I'm buying that sucker, no questions asked!)...

RAD!!!

Since AC came out I've been a big fan of the short lived theme.

I like the look of the goggles on the ADU helmets.

Edited by ETAV8R

Wow. Really a heavy-battle version of the set. My only criticism is that you ditched the original quadruple flick-fire cannons. Maybe you could add them where the flip-out radar dishes are now?

I'm glad you guys like it!

I like the look of the goggles on the ADU helmets.

Yeah, I came up with that one day when I was trying to figure out how best to use the Brick Forge Post-Apocalypse pack and/or make the two ADU troopers I'd managed to acquire via the "Free ADU Jet Pack with purchase of $x or more" deal last year fit in with my general post-apocalyptic theme I had going when I came up with using the goggles. Seeing them that way, an idea of a back story clicked, and I decided to get more Alien Conquests sets. I only have the Alien Mothership, two Jet Packs a Battle Pack and the Earth Defense HQ, though... I MAY be able to get hold of a Jet Copter Encounter that is still lurking on the shelves of a local Barnes and Noble, though.

Wow. Really a heavy-battle version of the set. My only criticism is that you ditched the original quadruple flick-fire cannons. Maybe you could add them where the flip-out radar dishes are now?

Yeah, I was having trouble figuring out how to re-build the missile launchers in a way that they would fit in and not get in the way of the Vic Viper launcher on the Command Control section. Further complicating that issue was the fact that I used both the 4x4 double-sloped wedge pieces that formed the tops of the missile pods for the main gun turret. I did get inspired to give it another go after reading your comment, and discovering that I had the same exact part in black, thanks to owning the PoTC London Escape set.....

Here's what I came up with:

8146366973_948194faeb_c.jpg

Upgrade Deployed by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

8146367509_7b74aa9e62_z.jpg

Upgraded Mobile Command Center by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

As you can see, the missile pods, while similar in form and function to the originals, now use solid bricks instead of those mail boxes, and they are attached to the Command Control module using the same basic Bionicle Ball joint connections used by the side blasters on the APC module.

Nice. 7066 is one of my favorite space sets and it made me buy some ADU sets. :classic:

Edited by gerkenz

It's funny you mention the sticker thing. I was the same way, it's probably the last set sticker I've applied since really becoming an AFOL.

And I think this stays as a 'don't part set'.

Anyways I really do like the snotty cannon (hehe). It looks really good and fits well. You should building a tank out of these pieces, it has some great promise!

Thanks again for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

It's funny you mention the sticker thing. I was the same way, it's probably the last set sticker I've applied since really becoming an AFOL.

And I think this stays as a 'don't part set'.

Anyways I really do like the snotty cannon (hehe). It looks really good and fits well. You should building a tank out of these pieces, it has some great promise!

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to be taking apart the Viper ever....

As for the tank thing... I've been planning on making a tank for some time now (either for the good guys or the bad guys), but I only have one section of tank treads (came with the Toy Story Trash Compactor Escape set), but I've been toying around with the idea of making a steampunky tank with multiple wheels (namely the 4x4 round bricks like most Castle siege engines use) or Brick Linking the parts. I currently have too many other projects in progress at this point to actually start building it. When I do, I will likely use something similar to the turret used on this project (I may see about replacing the stacked wedge plates with wedge bricks, if I can find blue ones for a decent price on BL), but that is quite a ways down the road....

Thanks again for the kind words, guys!

Mr. Timms: I was already able to obtain a Jet Copter for $10 less than MSRP through brick link and posted my initial mod to it... I'm in the process of revising said mod and making a red & white version of it and will be hopefully posting them soon... I need to set up my new light box and give it a good test run first, though.

I look forward to seeing the mods to the Jet Copter. Will the red and white version be for Billy no mates from Galaxy Squad?