pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! How could this have happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Disney is going to screw Star Wars!!!! How are the upcoming Sequel Trilogy that we've waited decades for goint ot be better than the New Jedi Order media we've been seeing?! :ugh: Why did Lucas do this, of all things? :sick: :wall:

I think I can get passed the idea of Disney owning the Star Wars Universe, but what I fear most is if John Williams will be up to the task of scoring the next three films. If he doesn't do the music, then the series is done for. Look at the Harry Potter series. Williams scored the first three, and did an amazing job, but then there was a slew of other composers who did the music for the rest of the series. Sure, they used the same main theme because it was so iconic (as are all of Williams' themes), but it wasn't the same. So, if this happens to the SW saga, I will be greatly saddened. Star Wars isn't the same without John Williams.

snip

There is no need to freak out. I doubt this is going to lead to Star Wars being screwed. Please try to avoid using such large fonts. Thanks! :classic:

Why did Lucas do this, of all things? :sick: :wall:

I can think of about four billion reasons why.

I'm a little surprised at all the negativity and pessimism here on EB. I say let somebody else have a go at Star Wars. Lucas clearly hasn't cared about it in decades. Disney has done well by their Pixar and Marvel acquisitions. Besides, it's not like the franchise can get any WORSE, right? After the PT, the bar is pretty freaking low.

I think people are panicking far too early. As far as I know, we no nothing about this new film, so please, save you judgements and blood-curdling cries. Just because it's Disney dos not make it inherently 'childish', or outright bad; look at the recent Marvel films. At the very least, we'll have some great new sets coming out based on it, and at best, we might have three films that will go down in history as the great films ever made. Stop panicking.

We were all focused SW... But there are other Lucasfilm properties as some have mentioned. Indiana Jones... Willow... I don't know if those go in the deal, but a new Willow franchise would be cool.

You forgot "THX 1138"! I'm sure the sequel for that will have a CGI Robert Duvall. :laugh:

I think this sequel trilogy will be about the adventures of Luke's or Han and Leia's kids.

Luke: Wait a minute. What are you talking about? What happens to us in the future? Do we become Sith or something?

Yoda: No. You and Leia both turn out fine. It's your kids, Luke! Something's got to be done about your kids!

:tongue:

Surprising and exciting news, judging from the many reactions on this topic...

I think this could go either way: either Disney will fail to please the millions of fans and ruin Star Wars badly, or Star Wars will profit from a much needed boost in creativity and quality. Personally, i welcome the change. In my opinion Lucas' recent releases seemed a bit stale, and i don't see Disney doing a worse job at it. So from that perspective it can only get better. Do i expect the new movies to be of the same caliber as the Original Trilogy? No, of course not. But i do hope they will be better than the Prequel Trilogy.

Exciting news! The Avengers, soon the Hobbit, and now more Star Wars - what will I do with all these amazing movies :grin:

I can think of about four billion reasons why.

i cu wut u did thar :tongue:

I'll be quite happy provided that Episodes vii - ix aren't cartoons and actually have real, live, actors in them!! I can't stand any of the current CW stuff (I did try once for 5 minutes, never again!) :sick:

Disney have produced a few quality films in their time so it could be a good thing.....time will tell. If not I'll just watch the OT a few hundred more times. Actually, perhaps there's a chance the remnants of the Empire might finally be able to exact some revenge on the ewoks, now that would be worth watching :wink:

The thing is with the actors/actresses from the PT and OT won't return, and that is why in my opinion that VII-IX won't have the same kind of atmosphere as before

Actually, I prefer a good TV series to a movie every time. The reason is that stories can be told differently, better, since the authors have more time for developing the characters and the stories. Good examples are Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Boardwalk Empire, or Game of Thrones, and I think the same is true for TCW.

To me, the major shortcomming of the PT was a lack of time: characters weren't developed thoroughly, and many questions were left open. So the logical step was to make a TV series, not another movie.

I fully agree with you as long as the episodes of the TV series are all linked and a continuity of each other. In that case I would prefer the TV series more than a movie. Still though a movie has that extra special appeal attached to it.

I dont get all the negativity... it's simple... if you don't like the idea, then don't watch any of the new Disney stuff. The fact they have taken over does not in any form or manner change anything that has currently been made and shown, they are exactly the same films. Those are the ones you have become a fan of star wars for, not for what they may or may not suddenly come up with.

At some point, Lucas has to give up and retire otherwise it'll be such a huge pressure on his life to always keep it going or simply let it die off. If he wants to make his money while it still can then I say let him. He has done bloody good with the 6 films and TCW. Rather than let it die off, he is allowing it to have some sort of new life. This new life can be either a good thing for fresh new SW stuff that fans can enjoy all over again, or something that people can ignore if they simply don't like it. There's no need for such negativity. :sceptic:

Let the guy who gave us all this awesome SW stuff retire in peace without feeling he has made a bad choice.

Im pretty optimistic about this. It gives a chance for SW to grow. I see no reason to bash the movies beforehand, maybe because I dont have such a negative opinion of the PT.

As for the time period, I would say it will continue sometime after SW6, rather than be a Old Republic prequel. After all, its titled Episode 7, rather than Episode 0 or -1.

Things Disney need to do to win my support (No real order):

Put Tim Zahn in charge of the EU.

Ignore 90% of the current EU

You must be joking! Ignoring 90% of the EU means killing it altogether which would have massive repercussions on the entire franchise. The CW animated series distorted and clashed with only a bit of the EU lines and it caused one of the best writers (Karen Traviss) to pull out altogether. And do you really think that if Tim was in charge he would agree to ignoring the current EU?

In my opinion 7,8and 9 should be move its focus from the already established characters of Han, Luke and Leia and should move on to creating and/or developing new characters. For example they could look into a galaxy where Ben and Jaina are the main characters and Tenel Ka's daughter is the Jedi Queen (which would tie perfectly with the latest Fate of the Jedi series. Or they could delve into the past and look into the Mandalorian Wars (very much a favourite of the fans). That would inject some freshness into the franchise and also provide the writers of the EU with direction and ideas they could use for writing future books.

The same guys saying Disney is gonna ruin it - didn't they say before that GL ruined SW with PT and CW? It has really become a religion, like Apple or your favorite soccer team. I always find that rather strange to be honest.

What will change? CW will continue, LSW will continue. The movies will be rather dark, targeting at the older fans. Things might take another direction, which can be good or bad. As with CW, PT, comics or books, I'll do what I always did - take a look and either like or dislike. I never signed to like all the stuff and while I respect the success of eg. CW - I just don't like it. Same might happen to the future trilogy, or not. But it won't change my opinion about E IV and V, 2 of my favorite movies.

And regarding LSW and E VII-IX, I do hope they come up with some cooler starship designs now that other guys might be in charge, I found the ones from PT and CW rather bad, and I am still interested in buying cool Lego sets, first of all!

I have a bad feeling about this.

Obvious references aside, I'm rather wary. This could turn out very good or not very good at all.

One thing I'm sure of though is that I hope any new movies won't just completely override the existing EU.

About the fears of some of my fellow OT fans:

I'm not replying to any particular post, but I don't get the worry that Disney won't be able to recreate the feel of the OT. It's not as if any of the OT fans really thinks the existing producer - Lucas - has done anything to capture that feel in almost thirty years. If Disney does this well, great! If Disney manages to do even worse than the PT and CW, then the attitude of the OT fans doesn't change.

Worst cast scenario is that Disney completely destroys the storyline, makes the novels non-canon, focuses on the magical aspect of the Force by expanding the Mortis story...

Yet no matter what Disney does, it's not as if they can prevent us from watching and preferring the old movies and books, just like we already do. On the other hand, there's plenty that they can do to make improved new movies that we would enjoy. For the OT fan, the only possible change to Star Wars is an improvement.

I've written on my thoughts on the merger on Huffington Post.

Maybe we'll get Mickey SW Duplo!

That was a good article. Personally, I think it's ridiculous how many people are freaking out at the mention of Disney. Disney has done good by Marvel, and by Pixar. I obviously can't guarantee that the next Star Wars movies won't suck (although I too was okay with the prequels, which at their worst were still decent popcorn flicks). But if they do suck, I doubt Disney will be to blame.

Nothing was a good as the Original Trilogy in my opinion.

Was there ever a contest to this "fact"? Did anyone challenge the supremacy of the Original Trilogy in the SW movie lore? It's a well-accepted viewpoint among all SW fans (including the younger PT and CW fans) that the Original Trilogy is the best there was, the best there is, and the best that there will always be. Whatever the turnout of the new movies will be, it won't change that "universal fact", so OT fans need not get "threatened" by the new direction the SW franchise is heading to.

Hold on a minute. Everybody is entitled to their opinion of what their favorite part of Star Wars is. I was 8-years old when I watched RotJ. I grew up obsessed about the OT. Although the OT has a special place in my heart, it is not my favorite part of Star Wars. I find your opinion that it's "universal fact" that the OT is the "best there was, the best there is, and the best that there will always be" very disturbing. Don't speak for everyone on these boards or every fan of Star Wars. At least not for me or my family. There is a generation that grew up on the OT, there's a different generation that grew up on the PT and there's another generation that is growing up today on TCW. I love all Star Wars. Despite what we enjoy and like about Star Wars, there are flaws and despite these flaws there is a lot to love and enjoy about Star Wars.

I'm not going to search to see if there's already a poll but maybe we can have one. I'm sure not "all SW fans" will agree on the so called "supremacy of the Original Trilogy".

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

One thing I have to point out about the sequels: they'll have to tie in pretty closely with the conclusion of Episode 6 if people are intended to understand the connection between them and the rest of the series. Not everybody has the patience to read all the Expanded Universe novels, so anything far after RotJ is probably out-of-the-question unless it's loaded down with flashbacks explaining what happened in the intervening time. And I don't think that's at all what people want in a new Star Wars film, since the series has mostly done quite well without lengthy flashbacks.

Certainly there's a lot of stuff in the EU that can be more or less ignored if it's set a few decades after RotJ, much like the Clone Wars animated series has been able to create a bunch of story to fill in the gap between AotC and RotS. But for the most part, the audience has to be able to connect the new films to what they already know in more ways than just the continued existence of blaster pistols and lightsabers.

What if Disney stops Lego from making more sets?

If you think this is a legitimate concern then you don't have a very good understanding of business and licensing. LEGO owns a license to Star Wars, and we have no idea how much power Disney will have over that license. LucasFilm as an entity still exists, and I imagine that many of the same people still run it.

There's also the question of why Disney would ever do that. LEGO Star Wars makes lots of money, it's been a boon to LEGO for years. If Disney is interested in anything, it's merchandising.

About the fears of some of my fellow OT fans:

I'm not replying to any particular post, but I don't get the worry that Disney won't be able to recreate the feel of the OT. It's not as if any of the OT fans really thinks the existing producer - Lucas - has done anything to capture that feel in almost thirty years. If Disney does this well, great! If Disney manages to do even worse than the PT and CW, then the attitude of the OT fans doesn't change.

Worst cast scenario is that Disney completely destroys the storyline, makes the novels non-canon, focuses on the magical aspect of the Force by expanding the Mortis story...

Yet no matter what Disney does, it's not as if they can prevent us from watching and preferring the old movies and books, just like we already do. On the other hand, there's plenty that they can do to make improved new movies that we would enjoy. For the OT fan, the only possible change to Star Wars is an improvement.

Hear, hear.

Either way, good old Vader seems to be pretty happy in his new home. :head_back:

I love how they ride everything but Star Tours. :tongue:

Perhaps we should all stop looking at the negative, what's done is done ! :classic:

He's taken the cash and shares package.......signed it all over to Disney, so there is nothing we can do except start coming up with ideas for them to read and think.....hey, that's a profitable idea ? :wink:

Should the moderators start a new topic.....what films and related LEGO sets should be made ? :wink: (yeah, I know there is a dream list topic, but this is different.....the SW world is going to expand for sure.)

Edit - Thanks for the video clip 'Oky'.....it put a serious SMILE on my face ! :roflmao: (Vader's force lift on Excalibur was AWESOME ! :iamded_lol: )

Edited by lightningtiger

Luke: Wait a minute. What are you talking about? What happens to us in the future? Do we become Sith or something?

Yoda: No. You and Leia both turn out fine. It's your kids, Luke! Something's got to be done about your kids!

:tongue:

Best thing I have read all day