pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

After having read the news I immediately wondered how well Howard the Duck would fit in Duckburg ;-)

In all fairness, I don't see the point in making an episiode VII. episode VI rounded up everything, the Sith is gone, who bother continuing?

Looking at the recent videogames, I'd much rather look forward to a Star Wars: The Old Republic movie...

What I do look forward to is the release of the one & only Disney - Lucasfilm collaboration LEGO set, a proper Star Tours set!

thumb640x360.jpg

Votes are still welcome by the way ;-)

In all fairness, I don't see the point in making an episiode VII. episode VI rounded up everything, the Sith is gone, who bother continuing?

That's a simple one from the perspective of Disney: making more money!

But the fact that SW 6 rounded up the story pretty nicely allows for a fresh and new story to start with SW 7.

It is going to be something totaly different, it will be fantastic or dramatic.

I can't wait to see the trailer, but "Star Wars" itself will be different with Disney.

The only thing we can do is wait.

It is like SW has become a generic substance you can just (bi)annualise - like EA sports games.

Or a James Bond or Batman movie... Sounds fine to me. Reboot the focus and creative team as needed :wink:

Wow, i just don't know what to say. Of course Star Wars is to us, the fans sacred, but for people with money in their eyes it's pure business. And that's also exactly the thing i hate about it. But you know, maybe they will do a really great job on the new movies? Anything will be better than the prequels right?

But what if they don't, and you are really going to loathe Star Wars, what are you supposed to do with all your SW Lego? Burn the mini-figures?

Yeah,....no, just no.

I fear nothing good will come of this, hoping to eat my words and happily preparing the ketchup to do so, but this just feels all kinds of wrong and in all fairness I have been less than impressed by Disney's current movie track record, though usually visually entertaining the other aspects of their movies are often less than average.

Am I the only person who is happy about the news?

Not at all. I actually liked the news when I heard about it for the first time.

One of the bad parts about this, however, is that we'll now have thousands if not millions of fanboys screaming about how "horrible it is"...

You guys started hating Lucas after the Prequels, now he hands over the franchise to someone else and it's still the end of the world? :sceptic:

More movies, but, will they have the feel of the OT or PT. Can Disney capture the feel of movies that are 30+ years old? I guess we will find out when director, producer and actors are announced?

Why would they have to?

The PT didn't have the feel of the OT either, and I can honestly say I would like to see remakes of the first 6 films somewhere in the future.

Now before you guys are gonna sweep me onto the gallows or throw me into the Sarlacc Pit, face it, there are lots of improvements to be made for

both the OT and the PT, but especially the PT, and now those opportunities have opened themselves up. Some stuff just should've been differently, the Ewoks for example. Get rid of 'em, replace them with a non-kiddy kind of alien species on a planet with plenty of advanced technology - however, the technology wasn't advanced enough, nor was anything else they had in possession to stop the Empire from turning the inhabitants into slaves. The shield generator of the second Death Star is now hidden securely, inside a heavily guarded bunker, not as vulnerable like the one we've already seen. But not all inhabitants decided to follow their kind - many decided to start a rebellion against the Empire and its slavery. When the Rebel Alliance 'gang' reaches the planet, they are captured by these aliens, thought to be Imperial spies, and brought to the leader of their organization. There, the rebels as we know them reveal themselves to be rebels themselves, and so a plan unfolds and they start to co-operate to destroy the Empire once and for all.

Just an idea I whipped up which might work better than those Ewoks on their primitive planet,

if they ever decide to make a remake with some large changes. Instead of constant add-ons to the franchise, perhaps a modern remake could be made in the future,

with recurring actors and no continuity errors. The gap between the OT and the PT was simply too large if you look at it from a certain point of view.

I suppose most of you are gonna try to kill me for this, but before you do, just let me finish my ice cream...

Edited by General Magma

My biggest problem with this announcement is how cynical it is. It respect Disney wants to make money, but statements like "we will produce a Star Wars movie every other year until end of time..." doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the creative vision for the story or the franchise for that matter...

It is like SW has become a generic substance you can just (bi)annualise - like EA sports games.

You don't have to be creative to make a film... Just do it in 3D :sweet:

I'm a little disappointed by this news... I can't see Disney produce movies like the OT, but I totally see them produce movies like the PT... We'll see what happens...

I saw on the NBC news this morning that the movie will be live action.

The most important thing to remember is that ROTJ sucked. ROTS is one of the best films, probably after ESB.

Ewoks and Droids sucked, but CW and TCW more than made up for them.

I've chanced my mind, I want Disney to make a new film and hope it's better than TPM or ANH.

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts. :sweet:

What if Disney stops Lego from making more sets?

I doubt it, LEGO has a contract with Disney already anyways.

I'm speechless *huh* *huh* *huh*

I don't know whether to cry or be happy :sceptic: :sceptic:

Anyway we'll see what will happen.

Interesting deal. This is only Star Wars and ILM, not Clone Wars or Indiana Jones. Bloomberg reports approximately $850m sales for all of Lucasarts last year - 4.5x sales seems a pretty high valuation, at this price Disney will be forced to pump out content to justify the deal price - I think George has been too greedy and this could dilute future quality. I wonder how Clone Wars merchandise and editorial control gets split between Turner and Disney - I have only seen season 1 but I found it a very effective series on War, one of the best for children I think. He looked quite sad in the interview, I hope his health is good.

:classic:

Interesting deal. This is only Star Wars and ILM, not Clone Wars or Indiana Jones.

AICN reported that Indiana Jones is included, and I don't know how Clone Wars is divided from Star Wars.

Fox will distribute SW for the time being, as Paramount continues to distribute the Marvel films.

Interesting deal. This is only Star Wars and ILM, not Clone Wars or Indiana Jones. Bloomberg reports approximately $850m sales for all of Lucasarts last year - 4.5x sales seems a pretty high valuation, at this price Disney will be forced to pump out content to justify the deal price - I think George has been too greedy and this could dilute future quality. I wonder how Clone Wars merchandise and editorial control gets split between Turner and Disney - I have only seen season 1 but I found it a very effective series on War, one of the best for children I think. He looked quite sad in the interview, I hope his health is good.

:classic:

I disagree i Heard from a Producer at Disney who spoke off the record that they have aquired everything that lucasarts owned Indiana, SW, CW, everything. Not just that but they also aquired the GLOBAL copyrights in europe, Australia & New Zeland. They had expired and now disney owns them for the next ten years.

Basically George has been trusting one or two individual companies or whover overseas to merchandise but since they lapsed not only did they Aquire LucasArts but the ability to market and sell it globally with running into the EU (european union) copyright laws and restrictions where they are more lax then american copyrights.

I'm disappointed.

For one, I don't like two of my favorite hobbies/movies/licenses/etc now being stuck under one roof. First Marvel and now Star Wars. If Disney ever got Star Trek and Tolkien, I'd be handing over a good portion of my paychecks to Disney.

Plus, I like Star Wars movies where they are. There's no need to have a movie describing what happens to Luke, Leia, and Han next. Where would they go? New Jedi Order? Is Disney going to be the ones that kill Chewie? Or will they re-write that out of the EU history? Star Wars was great before all the fluff, like the Clone Wars cartoon and such. If Disney made an Old Republic movie, I might be interested, but Lucas has been man-handling the OT for years. The last thing I want is Mickey Mouse man-handling Star Wars.

Ugh. I could go on and on about it, but what's the point?

I'm disappointed.

For one, I don't like two of my favorite hobbies/movies/licenses/etc now being stuck under one roof. First Marvel and now Star Wars. If Disney ever got Star Trek and Tolkien, I'd be handing over a good portion of my paychecks to Disney.

Plus, I like Star Wars movies where they are. There's no need to have a movie describing what happens to Luke, Leia, and Han next. Where would they go? New Jedi Order? Is Disney going to be the ones that kill Chewie? Or will they re-write that out of the EU history? Star Wars was great before all the fluff, like the Clone Wars cartoon and such. If Disney made an Old Republic movie, I might be interested, but Lucas has been man-handling the OT for years. The last thing I want is Mickey Mouse man-handling Star Wars.

Ugh. I could go on and on about it, but what's the point?

I hope they will fit the story with the existing books about the post-empire era. I'm currently reading again the Correlian Trilogy, and I think there is already enough good stuff written (and some long long before the Jar Jar calamity) to make good movies in the spirit of the OT.

I believe the issue will be that the next movie under Disney will not be for people like us, fans of the OT or the expanded universe.

They want to address a new generation like the kids I see in the train each morning discussing the Clone Wars series.

I somehow doubt it that I will be able to identify with that (will be 50 when the movie comes out 2015. There I said it ....)

My only Hope is that Disney uses existing material to adapt

Things I'd like to see

1. Force Unleashed Animated Movie
  2. Truce at Bakura movie adaptation
  3. Dark Empire I, Dark Empire II & Empire's End

One of the bad parts about this, however, is that we'll now have thousands if not millions of fanboys screaming about how "horrible it is"...

You guys started hating Lucas after the Prequels, now he hands over the franchise to someone else and it's still the end of the world? :sceptic:

Quoted for truth.

What we have seen so far after the announcement:

29345149.jpg

..and my humble piece of advice:

8141684141_851e2c0ed5_z.jpg

Seriously, I really don't get the early "fears" and "concerns" I've read. Have people acquired Nostradamic abilities or have travelled in a DeLorean or TARDIS and have seen the catastrophic future of the Star Wars franchise under the helm of Disney? :wacko:

I still say give Disney a chance. Save your criticisms when there is already something concrete to actually criticize A.K.A. the movies Episode 7, 8, 9...qm.gif

qm.gif

Wow, i just don't know what to say. Of course Star Wars is to us, the fans sacred, but for people with money in their eyes it's pure business. And that's also exactly the thing i hate about it. But you know, maybe they will do a really great job on the new movies? Anything will be better than the prequels right?

But what if they don't, and you are really going to loathe Star Wars, what are you supposed to do with all your SW Lego? Burn the mini-figures?

Even if they come out with horrible films, we'll still have the OT. I don't think it's humanly possible to screw up so much as to destroy the memory of the OT. I just hope they don't go the kiddie-friendly way, in my opinion it should get as dark as it can get with Disney. A strong PG-13 trilogy would be the best, but unfortunately that's never going to happen. :cry_sad: As I said before, I am happy for now because at least we have the chance of getting new great SW films, something we did not have before the announcement.

Seriously, I really don't get the early "fears" and "concerns" I've read. Have people acquired Nostradamic abilities or have travelled in a DeLorean or TARDIS and have seen the catastrophic future of the Star Wars franchise under the helm of Disney? :wacko:

I still say give Disney a chance. Save your criticisms when there is already something concrete to actually criticize A.K.A. the movies Episode 7, 8, 9...qm.gif

qm.gif

I think that expecting the worst is pretty rational, since it can hardly lead to disappointment :)

I hope though that the first series won't be set in the Old Republic, nor after Episode VI, but rather between Episode III and Episode IV, so that it'll deal with the fates of e. g. Ahsoka, Rex and Ventress (if their fates are not clarified in TCW), the emergence of the Rebellion, the rise of the empire and particularly Vader's contributions. The good thing would be that it'd provide us with non-TCW versions of these characters.

Edited by Brickadeer

If I just think about how much I dislike Disney "Pirate of the Caribbeans".... I'm really really scared about new Star Wars movies.

I'm pretty skeptical. In the years I became more honest with myself and ended up in judging the episodes I, II, III horrible. I don't see how the next episodes from disney could be different and less childish.