After getting several Uruk-hai Army sets I have started to notice my Rohan soldiers really starting to look way to similar and redundant. I tried using Eomer without his cape as a basic grunt and switching his helm/head/torso/legs with the Rohan archer, but this only allows for so many combinations and still they all have either the orange or light brown facial hair. Unlike with the Uruk-hai there just aren't that many possible combinations for Rohan soldiers atm unless you look outside the LotR line. Luckily they are a somewhat rag tag band so you can easily switch some pieces out and get a really distinct looking army that still feels very Rohan-esque.

With that said, I am now turning to Bricklink to further customize my Rohan army. My question is what helms/heads/torsos/legs have people found to work really well as basic Rohan grunts? I would obviously prefer flesh color heads as those are what the rest of the LotR line is done in. I would also prefer the newer, really highly detailed pieces to better mesh with my exisiting LotR minifigures (no Harry Potter heads from 8 years ago please!). So, what can you guys come up with?

I would prefer not to have to do any modding such as painting or cutting/modling. Even so, here are some great custom figures from General Magma to give you a general idea of what I am going for!

[*snip* quote removed by ZCerberus]

With that said, I am now turning to Bricklink to further customize my Rohan army. My question is what helms/heads/torsos/legs have people found to work really well as basic Rohan grunts? I would obviously prefer flesh color heads as those are what the rest of the LotR line is done in. I would also prefer the newer, really highly detailed pieces to better mesh with my exisiting LotR minifigures (no Harry Potter heads from 8 years ago please!). So, what can you guys come up with?

Hi Deathleech,

I took a small stab at this a few months ago when the LOTR sets came out. I have a few images posted here. I thought some of the POP and POTC heads were the best choices for scruffy looking guys. If you want a few baby faces in the mix, I liked what the 8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack offered.

Hope this helps.

Kyle

Edited by ZCerberus
Please don't quote entire post. Only quote what you are responding to specifically if needed. No quote at all is probably best here.

I find the Viking torso with the shoulder strap to be a good basis for the Rohirrim. As well as some of the plainer Kingdoms/Fantasy Era armour.

For heads, I would suggest Barbossa, Norrington, POTC Coachman, Thor, Qui-Gon (two variants), Episode III Obi-Wan (two variants), Old Obi-Wan, Crix Madine, Endor Rebel from the shield bunker set, Remus Lupin (Never Version) and Shiek Amar. I am sure there are others!

Some of these are perhaps too dark. People from Rohan tend to have light hair, blond, ginger and light brown, whilst Gondorians have darker hair (mostly)

If anyone else has any pics of custom Rohan soldiers they have made, I would love to see them. Also if you are listing parts, a link to the Bricklink piece would help immensely. Especially with all the different variants out there.

Here are some of my own, custom Rohirrim soldiers, including one with a chainmail hood on top,

which I made a few months ago:

7760134008_f61ff8003f.jpg

7190259870_c03bc6d5d7.jpg

7944227550_429659af4a.jpg

I found that there are plenty of torsos and legs to use for custom Rohirrim figures.

I've been meaning to get loads more official Rohirrim soldiers (along with Uruks 'n all) and paint several of the helmets.

Éomer's torso and the Rohan soldier's torso backwards might work as well.

Edited by General Magma

Here are some of my own, custom Rohirrim soldiers, including one with a chainmail hood on top,

which I made a few months ago:

[*snip* pictures removed by ZCerberus]

Those are great looking Rohirrim sir. liking alot.

Edited by ZCerberus
Please don't quote entire posts if not responding to a specific item

Just thinkig, would the blue kingdom knight torsos work or would it make it too coloured?

Just before I got Helm's Deep and U-H Army, I made an army of Rohirrim (15 minifigures), mostly from Vikings torsos, PoP minifigs and Castle helmets. Alamutian soldiers where the most useful single figure for making Rohan, as all but the helmet is usable(Though they could perhaps do with more of a beard). That way I could keep the colour scheme almost accurate. I also found that the Collectifigs series 8 Hamlet's legs work perfectly with Theoden's torso.