Murdoch17

1950's Rust-eze modular factory with boxcars and semi-truck - real life MOC's

Introducing the Rust-eze factory, which is where they make the rust remover / chrome restorer product Inspired by / not quite the same as the one seen in the CARS & PLANES shared universe from Disney / Pixar .

46660073075_8628213308_z.jpg

I have set this building in my transition-era layout, which means the 40's through the mid-1980's, as the steam / diesel mix era continued longer on my alt-timeline.

46080111591_6fa82f5b5e_z.jpg

Their is a small 0-6-0ST switcher that services the factory as seen above and here in it's own topic.

46660073085_22f8a4324d_z.jpg

The factory without the train in front.

46660073125_0ef6288fca_z.jpg

The rear of the factory, with the ladder to the top of the chimney flue.

46660073155_5806266b79_z.jpg

The detachable roof can be removed, however I never really finished the inside part, and probably never will as I haven't a clue what to put in there machinery-wise. The loading doors do open, and were modified from the original arched doors as they couldn't fit a forklift... then again, these doors might not either!

46660073185_daa0a82573_z.jpg

I was inspired by this photo by JB Lego to build these boxcars as seen here. They are made to haul pallets of cargo, specifically Rust-eze chrome restorer in 55-gallon drum containers for commercial packaging at another facility into smaller containers.

41818462384_d7a178ee7d_z.jpg

This model was heavily inspired by set 8486, (Mack's Team Truck) from 2011. I changed the model to seat one mini figure at the wheel, added new headlights and license plate plus revised the fenders and enlarged the cab.

28667778678_6b9251b856_z.jpg

The rear of the semi features a opening door and fold-down trailer stand, while the cab has two moving driver's doors.

41639155475_757348c346_z.jpg

The trailer no longer has opening sides, but it does have two opening rear doors and folding stand for when the cab pulls away. Speaking of the cab, the roof of the driver's compartment comes off and both doors open.

I hoped this factory would be of some use for some people, as the original always has been gathering dust in the basement since it was built, as seen below:

19608485433_42282db2e4_z.jpg

This is the original factory that was by my Dad around the years 2000 - 2004. it was built with parts from several Sand Red supplemental packs available at that time. It does not feature any interior, nor does it have a removable roof. But this thing is built STRONG: you have to really put your weight on it to press the roof together.

20221184292_c6d32b9e75_z.jpg

Here is the rear of his model.

Comments, questions, suggestions, and complaints are always welcome!

EDIT 4/9/19: added real life photos of the factory. 

Edited by Murdoch17

Sorry for the almost five year bump, but this building is now been updated with new color scheme and updated LDD file. The original model's real life pictures have also been added as well... The building has been shortlisted to be built soon in real life as soon as funds allow.

Any thoughts?

I like it. The black is a little too "heavey" for me, but I like the overall design. I also have to say I really like the tall smoke stack on your father's original. That really add a touch of realism for me. 

Great job! I should do something similar when I can. 

19 hours ago, LordFattee said:

I like it. The black is a little too "heavey" for me, but I like the overall design. I also have to say I really like the tall smoke stack on your father's original. That really add a touch of realism for me. 

Great job! I should do something similar when I can. 

It is better now @LordFattee? I recolored the smokestack to dark bluish gray and extended it's height by about five bricks. I also took the liberty and enlarged the water tower and have a more realistic appearance.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

Slight BUMP / update:

36180356365_0c96332535_z.jpg

I just added the auto racks and the loads on them to the first post along with it's accompanying LDD file. Here we can see both models thogether. (NOTE: The factory and auto rack cars models are in separate files, but can easily be combined together in LDD.)

37159479366_33d9d0eddd_z.jpg

Changed the color of the factory, added a GE 44-ton diesel switcher in the same paint scheme and added the auto-racks into the same file. Please see the first post for details and the LDD file!

On 9/20/2017 at 10:37 PM, M_slug357 said:

arghhh I need some of those sand red bricks!!

lol

Those can be quite expensive for such a big project compared to some other sand colors, such as sand blue or sand green, considering it's been gone from the color pallet since 2004.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:15 PM, zephyr1934 said:

That's a pretty good 44 tonner

Thank you!

Slight BUMP:

40102526080_aec0c79a82_z.jpg

The gantry crane has been added to the Factory in the first post, as well as updated pictures of the GE diesel loco and auto haulers.

I have procured about half of the factory's tan parts and brown windows with the rest costing around $220 from Brick-Link. The road and rail vehicles (GE 44 tonner and two loaded auto-racks) are to be built later this year. (as funds allow!)

Very nice building! Changing a bit the colors really was a good choice! :thumbup:

Now you need a new brand for all those nice little cars :laugh:

On 5/6/2018 at 4:26 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

Very nice building! Changing a bit the colors really was a good choice! :thumbup:

Now you need a new brand for all those nice little cars :laugh:

Thanks. I just re-made the first post to show off that it now makes a product called Rust-eze, and no longer makes automobiles... I also added two boxcars, a couple pallets of 55-gallon drums, and a semi-truck.

60581pb086.jpg

(picture of this part from BrickLink)

What do you guys think?

bump:

46787000454_9226d67d87_z.jpg

The model you see here (minus most of the two boxcars, as they are already built except for the Rust-eze logo part) has just had it's part's ordered from Brick-Link, and will be built soon. Keep an eye out for the real world pictures, which will be coming in a week or three! But until then, the first post has been updated with new-for-2019 LDD screenshots.

Edited by Murdoch17

BUMP

46660073075_8628213308_z.jpg

Everything (minus the semi-truck, which has yet to be ordered due to lack of funds) has been built in real life and been added to the first post!