Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Vinery at St. Gustavo

Whereas Mitgardia is preparing for winter already, Varlyria enjoys the sun of a typical Mediterranean autumn. It is the season of the grape harvest, people in Varlyria consider the year's most prestine time.

At the St. Gustavo vineyard too, the harvest is in full swing:

dscn2062.jpg

picking the ripe grapes is a strenous yet cherishing work:

dscn2063.jpg

grapes are being sqashed nearby:

dscn2064.jpg

and two soldiers off duty enjoy the houses best red:

dscn2069.jpg

Sven Thorsson, captain of the Mitgardian cog "Lady Emma" has just arrived in order to take in wines so good, that they can't be found anywhere in Historica.

dscn2067.jpg

It is a peaceful life here in Varlyria, why return to Historica with all its elemental havoc?

dscn2066.jpg

(After spending the first week of October in Tuscany enjoying good food and excellent wine I really had to do this moc. Hope you guys like it!!)

Edited by kabel

Very nice Mediterranean architecture, I like the winepress as well! :thumbup: And the vines look excellent too!

Excellent! Lovely little vineyard. I really like the pillar design incorporated into the house and the roof accents the white beautifully! :thumbup:

I really like that. Some really nice little details. I am starting to think this 5th guild will be a fan favorite!!

You did a great job capturing the Varlryio architecture style :thumbup: The grapes are excellent as well, keep up the good work!

Fantastic work, I think :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The grape vine are very good and the buildinf too :wink: :wink:

Very nice! some great features like the window frames, the tiled floor and the irregular base. Keep it up!

at first I thought teh style of Varlyrio was something that could easily be built in north Kaliphlin, by the coast (the get a fair amount of Mediterranean) but this first completed MOC prooves me wrong! I like it!

~Legonardo

I really like the mixed colored roof. The MOC in itself seems very Italian. Nice job Kabel.

Thanks guys, I'm really happy that finally one of my mocs seems to be exciting, been practising for a while I guess ...

@MK: the windows are meant sorta romanesque/gothic style wich I found extremely diffucult to do in LEGO. I'm glad I finally manged the problem

@Z: although I still am Mitgardian to the bone, I found Varlyria somewhat liberating. I really wanted to do something more Italian/Spanish and I guess Kaliphlin felt too Arabic for that. Mikey really hit the right note with his moc.

@Wedge: I'm glad an Italian likes this :sweet:

@Legonardo: Well, you actually inspired me to do an irregular basis, so the credit goes to you!

@CS+Penkid: Yes of course, having spent a week in Tuscany studying architecture, art and cuisine really helped this moc, there are also some Spanish influences in this too.

Edited by kabel

haha awesome, I am a fan of irregular bases, I think they add heaps to the MOC!

looking forward to your next contribution to the guilds!

Wow :wub_drool: I love the building, especially the detailing around the windows and those beautiful big arches for the verandah. Verandahs done in LEGO often look dark and cramped, but you've created the opposite - light, airy and roomy. The vineyard and grape squashing vat are also nicely done.

The whole thing feels alive, with everyone going about their daily vineyard task.

Wow! I was just thinking of mocs and structures that would fit in the 5:th guild and this one is spot on! Great idea!

The moc it self is really nice! The open veranda, the red/dk red roof, the white house really gives a touch of Italy! Love it! Great work and it will be hard to beat this one!

I've read "wow" a couple of times, but I'm saying it again too: "wow!" The atmosphere in this moc is amazing! And I really think it does screams Valyrio! I would almost drink wine instead of Mitgardian ale! :wink:

Thanks a lot guys. I really had not anticipated so many positive comments, I'm happy now!

@Kristel: I've done an archway like this before, it just went unnoticed ...

@Mikey: I'm really glad that you spelled out the rules for the contest according to what I had sitting on my desk :thumbup:

@DG: I've made the mixture of red, dark red and orange in walls and roofs sort of my trade mark, you can actually see it in most of my recent mocs.

@Eccles: I sure did have the one or the other glass of red wine when I build this. So go ahead, it's meant to be enjoyed with a glass or two in hand :laugh:

Thanks Cpt. It's good to hear from, and yes, I also thought about hops, actually being more of beer than a wine drinker. So I'm looking forward to your next moc!

This moc has an excelent feel to it, and the colors on the building work really well together. Nice job!

Thanks Torgar, I'm also very happy about how this whole moc turned out. Acutally, I so excited myself that I've already started collecting scraps and pieces of architecture on my tesk which I assemble to another Varlyrio moc once we know more about the mode of conduct of the 5th guild.

Cool MOC!

AN a great idea, the vines look especialy good :thumbup:

Awesome! I don't think I've ever seen a LEGO vinery.

Still not a fan of the multi-colored roof.

Great idea for a model.

thanks guys, I'm glad you like the vines because this is how everthing started. I really wanted to do your typical Tuscanian sloped vineyard and I'm glad it came out like this. As for the roof, I was trying to get across that aged roof tiles take on all sorts of colors in between red, organge and dark red just like in this picture (Italy):

OCCITANE_SILVACANELITTORAL_02.jpg

or this one (Spain):

187677-stock-photo-ferien-urlaub-reisen-haus-stein-fassade-dach-mallorca.jpg

maybe I should use smaller roof bricks or use the round brick roof technique to get this across better. However, I just don't have that many round red, organge and dark red bricks.

Edited by kabel