Sign in to follow this  
OrangeKNight

Double Train Track Possibility

Never Built any train stuff, but there was a deal on Red Cargo Train and I've wanted to experiment so I picked it up and messing around with it got me thinking, with the new flex track you could make larger curves in the track, or run 2 tracks more or less parralel, and then I got to thinking how could one make a train to run on both tracks at the same time?

So far I've only gotten as far as this;

8126857673_45a17112ff_n.jpg

I can't test it out right now, still dealing with the influx of parts from my BrickCon Splurge, so I haven't had a chance to build and try it yet, but, from what I think I know this should work........Any one else ever tried something like this before?

Mike

Hi

you will need at least swivel points on each wheelbases. With direct connection between parallel wheelbases the train will not run because the angel in the curves are different from the outside (lower) than the inside (higher) tracks.

Dino

you will need at least swivel points on each wheelbases. With direct connection between parallel wheelbases the train will not run because the angel in the curves are different from the outside (lower) than the inside (higher) tracks.

Actually I already do;

DoubleTrainTestPlatformColor.jpg

Mike

This will work for one vehicle. You'll need an alternate method of coupling multiple vehicles though. Technic liftarms orientated holes-down might be a good option.

This will work for one vehicle. You'll need an alternate method of coupling multiple vehicles though. Technic liftarms orientated holes-down might be a good option.

i think it can be veiwed as just a wide bogie rather than two bogies strapped together. all that is needed is to loose both sets of couplings/buffers and have one set mounted centrally between what seem to be the two bogies.

i'm not sure the red highlighted pivots are needed as i can see the outer bogies travelling at a different rate to the inner ones and it jamming in the corners.

8132221216_6db6748174.jpg

So Update!

-Most important being that you don't need double pivots as I previously thought, at least not at this scale/in this setup with the tracks running right up against each other.

-To couple together multiple double wide train cars you do need to have just a single coupler, with 2 they pop off the track at turns so that's a no go.

-The PF Train Motor didn't see to have any issues, inside/outside of the curve and front/back, so that's a good sign, but it might get dicy as more and more weight gets added.

- I only have 1 PF Train Motor, so I don't know yet if it'd be possible to get more than one on a double wide setup, my current rough plan is for 2 doublewide 'locomotives' at the front of the train anyways so it might not matter but it's still something I wanna test.

-Lastly, I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any problem with sticking regular train cars behind the double wide sections......I don't have enough sets of Train wheels to test with saddly.

As a final note, my resolve is wearing thin, between the free shipping and the double points for Oct I really want to get the 7939 Cargo Train, but that 240$CAD price tag is still hard to swallow.....

i think it can be veiwed as just a wide bogie rather than two bogies strapped together. all that is needed is to loose both sets of couplings/buffers and have one set mounted centrally between what seem to be the two bogies.

i'm not sure the red highlighted pivots are needed as i can see the outer bogies travelling at a different rate to the inner ones and it jamming in the corners.

You were right on both counts here, just doing a single central coupling works between 2 double wide train cars AND the red pivots weren't needed.

So now I just need more train parts! xD

Mike

if you intend to twin motor anything it may cause some issues in corners if the two motors aren't on the same line. the outer curved rail bogie section will need to travel faster than the inner bogie section. i would assume both motors would share the same controller and receiver so they would want to travel at a very similar speed and would sort of fight each other, you'd probably hear the motors straining a bit. two motors on the same side and therefore same line wouldn't be an issue though.

if you intend to twin motor anything it may cause some issues in corners if the two motors aren't on the same line. the outer curved rail bogie section will need to travel faster than the inner bogie section. i would assume both motors would share the same controller and receiver so they would want to travel at a very similar speed and would sort of fight each other, you'd probably hear the motors straining a bit. two motors on the same side and therefore same line wouldn't be an issue though.

Hmmm...what about a power functions motor? I'm not quite sure how, I haven't messed with it myself, but it seems you could use Technic and a PF motor to do the job. Those motors are pretty impressive. Look at Ɍaillery's Octopedal walker.

Edited by Axis600

Hmmm...what about a power functions motor? I'm not quite sure how, I haven't messed with it myself, but it seems you could use Technic and a PF motor to do the job. Those motors are pretty impressive. Look at Ɍaillery's Octopedal walker.

While I'm a big fan of Raillery's work, I don't see how a walking mech is supposed to help create a system where all for wheel sets can be powered, while it might be possible to reate PF trains using M or XL motors, it would mean that I'd have to adjust the speed manually for every turn, it's just a lot easier to only power 1 wheel set or 2 motors on the same track like locoworks said.

sounds cool. I dont see any realistic uses in it though.

By realistic uses do you mean in Real life or just in the bricks?

For Real Life, yeah it's a niche setup, I sure it could be designed and built with today's tech and it could be used for transporting things that might be just too big or a regular train/truck/plane, but there isn't a lot of possible uses. So likely Feasible, just not Practical in a 'big picture' fashion.

As far as bricks go, well seeing as I tested it with bricks I'd say it's realistic as far as my testing went, all that's left is to design a train on top of it.

Mike

Yes with a differential between the two bogies, it is the same principle as any driven vehicle, the outside wheels always have to travel further, so unless you run larger tyres on the outside wheels like a speedway car (which only go around in circles) you have to use a differential between the two.