Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

MOC - JCB Skip Loader

Another piece of my council fleet is a JCB skip loader.....still a bit of a w-i-p.....comments and ideas are welcome.....keep watching ! :classic:

0_council_skip_loader_99.jpg

Looks real nice LT. Just a little note, it is a skid steer loader, or skid or skidder or just loader or, as wee call it where I work, skidster, really just semantics. It gets its name because it turns like a tank; each side’s wheels spin in opposite directions to turn. We have a traditional style John Deer skid steer loader, they are real fun to drive. All you need now is a trailer for your Council truck to pull it... Although the village I live in, they just drive it from the shop to where they are working, no trailer needed.

Sal

WFB, WI

Thanks and yeah, there's more than one way to write it I guess ! :blush:

A trailer eh ?.......don't forget a pick up truck to tow it too ! :wink:

Keep watching ! :classic:

We tow ours usually with our dump truck, like your council truck. Although we have done it with our newer pickup. Our skidster weighs 6,000 U.S. pounds, so you have to have a beefy enough truck to pull it, and more importantly stop it.

Sal

WFB, WI

Under two hours must be a record for me eh ? :rofl:

0_council_truck_58.jpg

I still have to correct one of the rear loading drop rails to dark bluey grey (brown on one side at the moment hence the reason for just this one photo :blush: ).

Oh, yeah just before I took the picture I made a crane attachment......makes it even more useful......more to come so keep on watching ! :wink:

I think it could do with some bigger wheels?

But I looks great. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Really good work :thumbup: :thumbup:

it is very similar to the original :wink: :wink:

Very nice LT. I like the trailer, and the crane attachment. Sure beats wrapping the chain around the bucket. lol. You always do great work.

Sal

WFB, WI

Thanks everyone, bigger wheels are a problem at the moment.....all spare cash going towards my wife's 40th birthday......I don't want to spend another night in the dog house ! :rofl:

If I did go bigger trailer wheels I would have to redesign the rear of the truck again......but if others say it's too low then I'll have to make the changes. :blush:

Over the next five days I be designing the roller, but since it's the boss's birthday weekend....only when I'm not required can I build anything ! :sad:

Keep watching......keep any suggestions rolling in too ! :classic:

LT, if you change the tires, I would recommend only going to these: http://www.bricklink...asp?P=30027ac01 They are what I used on all three of my equipment trailers. I have two similar to yours, just longer (big enough for a skidster and Miniex together or a backhoe), and one about as long as yours but with the tires outside the deck the loader sits on. The only thing I don't like about putting the wheels on the outside of the deck, is it makes the trailer real wide. We have both styles at work, so one day I measured, our "small" trailer with the wheels outsid the deck, is wider than our "big" trailer with the wheels underneith.

This is similar to our "big" trailer, it is much longer than our skidster.

http://www.flickr.co...N03/5442596675/

This is similar to out "Small" trailer, it is just long enough to hold the skidster, and is actually wider than out "big" trailer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lazybtrailers/6856875493/

I was going to use different wheels but didn't have enough tyres so I would need to buy a fresh set of tyres and rims.....even modified plates for them to go on to the trailer.....when I have the spare cash I'll buy them......keep suggesting....keep watching ! :classic:

Thinking about it more, our trailer tires are smaller that our truck tires. So I wouldn't go much bigger than what you have or the ones I use. I think what you have looks good.

Sal

WFB, WI

Thinking about it more, our trailer tires are smaller that our truck tires. So I wouldn't go much bigger than what you have or the ones I use. I think what you have looks good.

Sal

WFB, WI

I think you are right too, I leave it as it is......I wonder if I need to make any more attachments for it ? :wink:

I think you are right too, I leave it as it is......I wonder if I need to make any more attachments for it ? :wink:

There's a million to choose from. All depends on what your machine will do... All we have is a bucket and a set of forks, but we have used an auger which is pretty sweet, I've also seen snowplows.

Sal

WFB, WI