DarkKnight7

Lord of the Rings Game - Minifig Designs

This is an older post that was recovered thanks to the great efforts of Bonaparte - I appreciate it!

With the new video of the upcoming game for LEGO Lord of the Rings, there were several new characters that I thought looked great and thought I'd have some fun and recreate them. The game features quite a few figs that aren't found in real form...at least not yet. So, if you were like me and wished they could have them, now you can (with the exception of the girl Elves and the White wizard hair being not available...yet). As I finish each one, I'll post them here.

Hope you like them and as usual look forward to your comments and thoughts! (Also, if you do use them as decals for your fig, please share them here, as I'd love to see them realized!)

Saruman

A great looking fig, and this could be realized, just without that great hair piece (can't wait til that comes!). Also, there are parts that I can't see, so I didn't finish those, as the beard would cover it anyways.

Saruman.HD.JPG

Saruman.Flesh.png

Clear Paper Version:

Saruman.Clear.lighter.png

Gandalf the White

Again, this figure doesn't have the hair or beard pieces available, but at least for those that would like to use this for their own customs of Gandalf the White, this is based on some pics from the game, shown below. Plus, thought I'd add my own Ian McKellan smile under the beard ;)

Gandalf.White.Front2.jpg

Gandalf%2520the%2520White.Torso.Flesh.png

Clear Version

Gandalf%2520the%2520White.Torso.Clear.png

Aragorn - King, Army of the West

I found the picture below while watching the Lord of the Rings video a bit closer and thought I'd recreate the torso. This would be ideal, as the picture suggests, on a dark blue minifig torso with dark gray arms and legs. Since we already have his head and hair, this fig is definitely doable now.

Aragorn.King.Black%2520Gate.GamePicHD.jpg

Aragorn.ArmyofWest.King.Torso.png

Clear Decal Version:

Aragorn.ArmyofWest.King.Torso.Clear.png

Faramir

In the game, Faramir has a tan torso and arms, brown hands, reddish brown long hair, and brown legs. So, the in game version is below:

Faramir.FaceCloseUp.jpg

Faramir.LOTRGame.png

Clear Version:

Faramir.LOTRGame.Clear.png

But, as Lego has done before, I don't think the colors in this design match the real Faramir in the movie. So, I tweaked some things to make what I think would be a more realistic version.

Faramir.LOTR.Real.Face2.png

Faramir.LOTR.Real.Face2.Clear.png

Grima Wormtongue

Here's Grima from the game. For Grima, you will need a black torso and legs and black Dastan hair. Again, couldn't help myself, I've also included my take on what I think is a more representative version of Grima from the movie.

Grima.Wormtongue%2520-%2520Full%2520Body%2520-%2520Game.jpg

Grima%2520Wormtongue%2520-%2520Game%2520Version.png

Grima%2520Wormtongue%2520-%2520Game%2520Version.Clear.png

My Version:

Grima%2520Wormtongue%2520-%2520Real%2520Version.png

Grima%2520Wormtongue%2520-%2520Real%2520Version.Clear.png

Next Up:

Grima Wormtongue, Isildor, Elrond (3rd Age Version), The King and The Army of the Dead , Arwen, and Galadriel. (And any others that are requested with images) I will add more as the game presents more.

Edited by DarkKnight7

Awesome job, as always.

Thanks, Jamit! I just wish the hair and beard pieces were available somewhere so I could make them both.

But, I've added the Aragorn from the Army of the West that I found while watching one of the Developer videos again, and that WILL work on pieces we currently have. Might have to buy the fig, just so I could try to maybe print the torso and legs and see how it looked. When I get time, maybe over the holidays, I may have to chat with you about how to do the Blender program, etc.as you did it so well for that Ezio design I had, so I can project my custom designs to promote them.

Edited by DarkKnight7

I may have to chat with you about how to do the Blender program, etc.as you did it so well for that Ezio design I had, so I can project my custom designs to promote them.

Sounds good! And until then, if there are any figs you want rendered, just let me know and I can knock them off with no problem. Every time you create a new design (in particular the heads), my library of parts expands, so anyway I can give back to you I'd be more than eager.

Nice torsos for the wizards, i did some painting based on your designs of the screen capture.. my feeble painting methods sure don't get it as nice as the decals! Will upload the complete minifig on my other thread post when they are done.

20121021_183158.jpg

Nice torsos for the wizards, i did some painting based on your designs of the screen capture.. my feeble painting methods sure don't get it as nice as the decals! Will upload the complete minifig on my other thread post when they are done.

20121021_183158.jpg

Those look great Tomcat! I am amazed the detail you can get with your painting...no way would I have steady enough hands to do that...will be interested to see the finished products!

I did a quick mockup of Aragorn, using some pictures on the internet of the pieces needed (minus the cape). How do you guys think it would look?

Aragorn.ArmyofWest.King.Preview.png

Darkknight, it's done, a very noobish reproduction of the 2 White wizards based on the game design.

2410123.jpg

Can Someone make a some decals for faramir, heres the best picture i could find. (Sorry about the glair)

Yep, I'm already on it, along with a few others from the game. Will post here as soon as I finish, so subscribe and it'll update you on when I add those.

Yep, I'm already on it, along with a few others from the game. Will post here as soon as I finish, so subscribe and it'll update you on when I add those.

Ok if you need any more pictures for the figures just tell me i have pictures of most of them

Edited by LegoLotRGuy

Thanks, and for the moment I have good pics of most, except for Denethor. There's a very small and hard to see pic on the Lego Wikipedia site, but if you could find or share one of him, that would be great!

Wow these are great, and that is a fantastic Ian McKellen smile! You have a real knack for capturing faces with just a few lines.

Tomcat, could you tell me what kind of brush you use for painting? The detail you managed to get on the front of the torso is very impressive. I have a pretty steady hand, but I have trouble finding anything small enough to use to paint those tiny fine lines!

Thanks for the comments, Tilly! I really enjoy doing the faces, as I find that is the toughest thing to translate into Lego form.

Faramir's design from the game has now been added to the first page, along with my own version and colors. Comments and suggestions welcome. Grima will be next.

Grima Wormtongue has now been added. But, again, I thought I'd do my own version that I think is a bit closer to the movie version than the Lego version. Love to hear your comments and feedback! Also, I'm trying to think of a second face for him to go with his back design but can't think of one that would be good, let me know if you have any ideas and I'll use the best one.

Great stuff! I'm sure we'll see a different version of Aragorn if TLG release more LOTR sets next year. The tunic you've given him here looks excellent, and would be a great army builder.

Nice designs Darknight7! I shall be busy this coming weekend to mimic some of those designs into actual minifigs. Thanks for the efforts to capture from the screen into a template!

Thanks guys, and if progress on the prints continues as planned, we may have some Faramir (my version), King Aragorn, and Grima Wormtongue (my version) printed figs in the near future for sale along with other designs (Dark Knight series, Assassin's Creed, Superhero, etc.)...cross your fingers!

Very nice designs. You should try your hand at Smeagol from this pic:

LotRPRe.jpg

I can't find a picture of his front torso at the moment.