Brickplace

[MOC] Giant Chess Star Wars episode 5 Hoth Theme

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everyone

I finished my last MOC. A giant chess Star wars on the Episode 5 with Hoth planet in main theme.

I try to make the main scene of the the empire strikes back and in the same time try to keep the spirit of classic chess.

I was inspired by a MOC of chess with the same theme.

I made it in no stud for the base. There are 34 figs

PLease feel free to give me some feedback about this chess, that they are good or bad. ( I know is not the good Lando :wink: )

Here a link with more pics : http://www.flickr.co...ickplacecustom/

chess_17.jpg

chess_18.jpg

chess_19.jpg

chess_22.jpg

dsc_0025.jpg

chess_21.jpg

chess_23.jpg

Love it, love it, love it. :grin_wub: I'm watching ESB at the moment, the board is an awesome representation of Hoth, and the larger figures are fantastic in themselves. I laughed at the Rebel Queen piece's build. :tongue: I hope to see boards for the other episodes!

Nice chess set Brickplace, I always love looking at these. You have put some original touches to the chess set compaired from memory of others I have seen in the past. I love the base with the imperial shuttle and falcon consealed in it and the snow on the rocks looks great. Your mini vehicles are original and nice little builds as well. :thumbup:

Very good Chess set :thumbup: :thumbup:

I really like all, but in particularly the base with the two hangar, one with falcon and the other with the Imperial Shuttle :wink: :wink:

Why is the wampa with the "bad guys"?? It's just a poor little creature that tries to live in a frozen wilderness, hunting to survive...

Anyway it's a really nice chess set :thumbup:

Very nice Brickplace! Very high quality design and incredibly rich detailing in both the chess pieces and the base. I particularly like the design of the base with the snow covered rock formations and the two cave like hangars with the mini Falcon and Shuttle inside.

One question though, what's the purpose of the transparant pieces around the Emperor?

Thanks to evryone for your great comments.

One question though, what's the purpose of the transparant pieces around the Emperor?

I did that because Palpatin only appear as hologram in the episode 5, I try to make minifigs of palaptin as an Hologram beside trans blue tile. And Lego don't product a great hologram of darth sidious. Holo of set 6211 is not realy great.

Let me know if you have an idea for this part ?

I did that because Palpatin only appear as hologram in the episode 5, I try to make minifigs of palaptin as an Hologram beside trans blue tile. And Lego don't product a great hologram of darth sidious. Holo of set 6211 is not realy great.

Let me know if you have an idea for this part ?

In the real hologram only the head of the Emperor is showing, larger in size than a human. But that hardly seems doable in LEGO, unless you know a clever way of making a brick built head about 4 studs wide with hood that actually looks like the Emperor and like a hologram as well.

I can't think of any really good solutions to make the Emperor minifig look more like a hologram at this time, but maybe using four of these instead of the current transparant pieces might make the surrounding trans-light blue field look a bit smoother? If anything else comes to mind, i'll let you know.

Just a thought though: your chess set is very much focused around the Hoth theme, and the Emperor didn't appear on screen until after the battle of Hoth. An alternative idea you might consider is to base your King piece on Vader and your Queen piece on general Veers.