Sign in to follow this  
kjaffa

Any idea what my contest piece is worth?

So I won the Bionicle contest back in the Early 2000's with the grand prize being the 14K gold Kanohi mask.

http://i.imgur.com/uBk85.jpg

I was wondering what it is worth in terms of collectability / est value. I believe 5 were given out in the contest with another 25 given to staff of the Bionicle team. $800 in gold weight alone.

I would think it's worth 1000-plus, as some misprints are worth 700, and this is actually both exclusive AND real gold.

To any a fan, this would be worth a great deal. But it's worth to them and the amount they'd be willing to pay to get it into their possession are two very different things..

Whoa, that's awesome!

I want to see your entry to that contest!

I believe the contest these masks originated from was more of a sweepstakes and less of a creative competition, so I don't know if an "entry" exists. Even if it was in part a creative competition, my experience with similar LEGO contests back in the day suggests that it would only involve writing a short essay, and they'd be judged according to the target audience's expected writing ability so kids didn't get left out.

It is very unlikely that LEGO employees were given such expensive pieces as gifts. In Denmark, this would involve paying a high tax, approx. half of the value of the gold.

It looks like gold-plated to me. Something that size would not weight much in pure gold and it would be too soft and not hold it's shape.

Well, not many materials weight as much as gold, and I was told today that LEGO had a jewelry maker cast the pieces.

A gold-plated piece would weight very little.