Masked Builder

LEGO Design Team – Open Call For Theme Ideas!

I'm personally intrigued that the Ninjago story test board features both the Green Ninja and the Golden Dragon, suggesting that the designers were not limiting themselves to the ideas in the brief listed above...

Anyway, I'll start thinking about this. If I could come up with a theme idea that they decided was good, it'll look great when I actually get my degree and apply to work for the company.

I´ve edited the first post with the original press release from TLG.

Please beware of the fine print in full:

Notice: Release Form in brief.

“The participation in this project and the work performed by you will be performed on a principal “work for hire” basis, where

all rights to the ideas will belong to the LEGO Group.

You accept not to present any information, including but not limited to any technique, procedure, idea or work, which is already

protected by intellectual property rights or protected by any other rights, which could prohibit the use of the presented

information during the project and also prohibit use of results or suggestions afterwards.

All rights related to any suggestion, results or submission made by you are hereby assigned to the LEGO Group, who shall be entitled to exploit the suggestions and submissions in any way it may want now and in the future.

The tiger is interested......ah, I can use my old sci-fi writing skills for the first time in almost 30 years. :wink:

My mind is already thinking up ideas as I write this. :classic:

I resent the idea that a play theme has to revolve around the idea of "good guys fighting bad guys". I am very aware that it appeals to the targeted age group, but certainly there's been enough of conflict-based themes around every year, so is it totally impossible for boys to be interested in something other than conflict?

As a kindergarten teacher, I'd really like for boys to learn other values besides just "beating up bad guys" through playing with toys. Aren't the construction site sets pretty popular among boys, as well? There's no conflict there (unless you count builders fighting a tight schedule to get the construction done as one :tongue: ). So what if there would a fiction-based themed about a group of figs trying to build something together, so that each set would fit together to create some large construction (eg. a castle or a ship or a tower). The modularity would probably appeal to AFOLs as well.

Would this be a good idea to work upon, to you guys? Or do you agree with TLG that there has to be bad guys for a theme to sell to young boys?

I would assume this has come about due to some of the brilliant ideas on Cuusoo that are more suitable to a theme than a one off.

Hopefully this means we will get the Western Town, but surely the first pick would have to be the Space Marines (I soooo want some of these).

I resent the idea that a play theme has to revolve around the idea of "good guys fighting bad guys". I am very aware that it appeals to the targeted age group, but certainly there's been enough of conflict-based themes around every year, so is it totally impossible for boys to be interested in something other than conflict?

I participated in this same thing with TLC a few years ago. It was interesting to get a little insight into their thought process. I found the restrictions and guidelines around their "play themes" to be very limiting and frustrating. I know they have decades of market research to back up their policies, but they seem so formulaic. Clear cut good guys and bad guys, vehicle-driven sets, some sort of mission or collectible -- repeat and repeat and repeat.

I think it's cool that they are giving us a bit of an insight into how their design process works. While some have said it's very formulaic, I guess part of the challenge (and what I suppose they're looking for) is to design something that conforms but also is a little bit unique - plenty of opportunity when it comes to Lego!

I'll have fun doing this, I think.

Clear cut good guys and bad guys, vehicle-driven sets, some sort of mission or collectible -- repeat and repeat and repeat.

Glad that you agree with me! I don't think all of the other toy manufacturers are limiting themselves in such a manner, for example Playmobil offers a great variety of sets from all walks of life and history.

When I look at the young boys playing in the kindergarten (or when I reminisce what I used to play as a kid myself), it is not necessary for the playing to have vehicles involved. Sure, technology appeals to most boys, but so do other things: adventure, mystery, action, construction etc.

It's not that I don't believe conflict-based themes are important for LEGO, but lately it seems that all the new themes aimed for prepubescent boys (save for licenses) are cut from the same tree: a group of good guys beat up monsters. Only the environments change. Has creativity died even for LEGO?

I've got a few good ideas, but in the words of the Joker, if you're good at something never do it for free!

I'm horrible at writing stories, but, something I would love to see is a Greek-Roman theme. Maybe a theme that involves Hercules and his 12 trials?

Jamie

Wow! I'd better get my creative juices flowing! I like Sandy's idea of something thats not just 'x must battle y to obtain z' and that maybe another idea of a story would be good. I think I'm going to look back to old space sets such as futuron or classic space for inspiration, as those themes were some of the best ever and did not revolve around so much violence.

Please remember that when we say "That's where you come in" - we mean the AFOL community as in Adult Fans of LEGO.

This call is for our ADULT fans and not their children or neighbours.

We want the input we can get from years of experience that our trusty AFOLs carry :wub:

I'm getting in on this now that I know the details. Let's see what I can come up with...something either sci-fi or fantasy, definitely.

Did this a couple of years ago, it was fun. Now I need to think up something new.

If I win, what's in it for me? :tongue: do i get a profit share like in cuusoo? do i get hired to come up with themes? doesn't seem fair to solicit for ideas and getting nothing in return. :sceptic: