Jackattack7

What do you prefer?, Lego Batman or Lego DC superheroes

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the original Batman line or the new DC Superheroes?

• Original Batman
    • DC Superheroes
    • Both are about the same

Actually I didn't think the Funhouse was the best set, I liked it but I think it is the fact I like the vehicles. That's why the Batmobile and Two-Face chase is my favorite so far.

I think we're twins ;)

I prefer the old Batman theme and I think it was vastly superior to the new DC Superheroes theme, so far. The new sets have been (generally) poorer remakes done in a childish and <insert that tiresome argument> fashion, with ugly color and set selection. I do not think that it was necessary for the way many of the sets turned out, regardless of the target age group. TLG has proven they can design plenty of nice and detailed sets that appeal to all ages. That is not the case with the entire Superheroes theme so far, Marvel included. I just feel the set selection, the pricing and parts limit have been poorly decided. Take for example the TDKR set, IMHO that was a poor decision to cram two large vehicles into a $40 set, resulting in both of the vehicles being lackluster. Nothing against the set designers, they did the best job they could under the circumstances. There are a few nice sets I enjoyed namely, the Superman set, Arkham and hopefully the new Bat-boat set with Aquaman will be good. I echo many of the sentiments of Oky, DC Superheroes does have plenty of potential because of the character library TLG has access too, again however decisions on which characters to produce have been poor IMO. Also I don’t understand why TLG decided to give Comic Con events all the cool new (exclusive) DC figs like Green Lantern, Shazam, and Bizarro. That is an argument for another thread however. So, overall I still prefer the original Batman theme.

Batman.vs.Mr.Freeze - Aquaman On Ice, £19.99, €26.99 and $19.99 (Just like the old Batboat set, so they have kept the price the same and piece number roughly the same.) Also The Bat.vs.Bane - Chase With Tumbler, £39.99, €49.99 and $39.99 (again Just like the previous set, are they going to keep a pattern now?.)

@Drock:

I don't what it is I love sets that have vehicles in them, it's like TMNT, Power Miners and the old batman aswell (not the shellraiser though) and I was happy with the van in Arkham too.

Edited by Jackattack7

Outside of the crappy Ultrabuilds, I like the Superheroes line. There's no reason to limit these things to JUST Batman. He's still getting too many sets. We need more representation.

I second this.

I'm with those who think that Batman line is superior to Superheroes line.

Out of the entire current theme I can say that only three sets stand out. It's:

1) Catcycle set (definitely a better re-release of the original set.)

2) Superman set (Three exclusive figs, a decent robot at a very moderate price)

3) Funhouse set (The set that was expected to be made even in 2006 but came years later, but at a very fair price)

The rest is just a very poor rendition of the previous line.

I do agree that the current theme has more potential, but at the same time I do see that it's not being realised at full scale. Batman alone has a great potential as a theme if LEGO wouldn't have sticked to vehicle vs vehicle concept. You can actually notice how well "ground-based" sets are usually received.

Superheroes could've done better if it were less campy, a bit darker and offered us a bigger variety of heroes to choose from. We haven't yet got Flash, Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter and such. The figs of comic con is just a pure mockery of us. Even I, one of the biggest fans, can't really make myself buy the figs at such a price! I can afford getting them, but I refuse paying those sums to the greedy bastards! :hmpf_bad:

Generally so far LEGO is mising its opportunity to make Superheroes perhaps only slightly less profitable theme than SW.

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Generally so far LEGO is mising its opportunity to make Superheroes perhaps only slightly less profitable theme than SW.

I don't know that everyone would agree with me, but I think that superheroes has a greater lasting appeal. SW is a brand. Unless they come out with a new movie or something, it will go out of fashion eventually. Superheroes, on the other hand, have hardly gone out of fashion since they became poular in the 30s/40s - and so long as they stay up with the times they have a long way to go. They are our modern mythology - the fact of the matter is that if TLG could graps this they would, seeing as they have both DC and Marvel, be sitting on top of one of the greatest licenced themes ever.

That said, I'm not sure I can see it out-living SW's reign, but I would love it so, so much if it did - or even reached, say, 5 years (10 waves if this pattern continues)

I very much liked the early of the old Batman sets, mainly the Batcave with the amazing Penguin sub. They early sets had a dark tone, which I prefer much over their remakes from this year. Even if I appreciate the smaller vehicles (yeah I am one of those many here cannot understand) from the current line, everything is too comic-like and colourfull today.

Then, the old line went into a strange direction with this HUGE tumbler, which I completely hated for its size. The other vehicles were also not too good. New Penguin sub was boring, Batman buggy was just weird. The new line gives us a new Arkham (best Batman set of all times) and the new tumbler set (which is amazing - just don't like the Bat too much). So in the end it's a tie.

Sets I like:

7780 Batboat

7781 Batmobile

7783 Batcave

--------

10937 Arkham

76001 Tumbler

(Superman doesn't count for me. Don't like the guy.)

I like LEGO Batman for the more complex builds of the vehicles. To me LEGO DC Universe is a nice line with a ton of potential. To me the builds seem to be aimed towards a younger audience and towards the minifig collectors. I'd really like to see new Batman sets that aren't remakes of the original LEGO Batman line.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

Did Lego ever release the original Batman polybags?, Because looking at the Marvel ones that are coming out in the sun on October 27th DC didn't produce very good polybags. Just a Bat Jetski with a Batman, and a Batmobile (which is understand.) But the Marvel ones are releasing good minfigs, Thor and Hawkeye. Why did they just release a Batman minifig? they could've instead released a Robin Jet ski. This is another example of potential not actually used. That it why LEGO Batman is better.

Why did they just release a Batman minifig? they could've instead released a Robin Jet ski. This is another example of potential not actually used. That it why LEGO Batman is better.

Well, not really. I mean, it's not like the old batman theme gave us anything particularly unexpected. They never moved on to any B list villains, even after a fairly long run. What polybags TLG releases now doesn't say much about what they are/are not accomplishing - it just shows that the avengers are a team, so there are several of them to choose from, while Batman is generally a loner, and he is their biggest selling point ATM, so they chose to promote him.

I find it funny how the votes on this really don't reflect the opinions in the comments.

I think, in my opinion, DC Universe is the better one. Since 2006, we've sort of been introduced to new pieces and more figure printing. That being said, it has more potential to make sets we never got or make figures we never got. While we don't have many newly made (no repeats) sets, as 6857 and 6862 are the only new ones, we have a few better looking figures, like Robin, Bruce Wayne, the Joker and Harley Quinn. And if it continues into 2014, which it should, we may get even newer sets and figures. I'm not saying the Batman theme was bad, I'm just saying DC Universe as more ability, as it's 2012, not 2006. So there are my thoughts.

It's a tough one to call. I certainly like aspects of each of them. For example in 2006 I feel the overall colour sceme and originality of the theme was incredible. However with the current theme I think that the detail of both the sets and figures are of a much higher quality.

I think if I had to pick one I would say the current theme just because of the detail.

The only thing I really like better about the older ones is the coloring on two-face. Black and white vs... purple and orange? No contest...

To be honest, like many, I find certain aspects from one to be better and vice versa. That said, I lean towards Superheroes simply because I love DC as a whole and while Batman is great and amazing and wonderful and dark, there are so many other characters with great depth. I've just finished reading Geoff Johns Flash run and the Flash's rogues gallery can easily rival Batmans. But I digress. I am completely and utterly biased towards anything to do with The Flash and anyone who doesn't like it can eat my Speed Force. :innocent:

Back on topic, personally I find the newer Batmobile to be more to my liking than the old one. I know many won't agree but to me it just seems like a more streamlined construction and I really didn't like that big spring missile thing. Oh, and I agree with the above. The older Two Face did look better.

Even though a lot of them are the same characters, I don't think you can compare them. The original Batman minifigures are iconic however some of the 2013 minifigures are very impressive.

The only thing I really like better about the older ones is the coloring on two-face. Black and white vs... purple and orange? No contest...

Not just Two-Face but some of the sets as well. I really don't like the colour scheme of the new Batcave. The older version which was around the Same price. Was not only larger and integrated all of the vehicles ( boat, car and plane ) it was also black. The new one with the dark blue and yellow everywhere looks bad. Also Banes drilling machine would have looked better in grey or even yellow. I still can't decide if the colours of Black and Gold are better than Black and Yellow.

I really don't like the colour scheme of the new Batcave.

I don't like the colour scheme aswell, there's too many colours for me, translucent blue, dark blue, grey, black and far too much yellow. He's the DARK knight, black and translucent blue would've been excellent, maybe a tiny bit of yellow because of the yellow on his badge.

It will be interesting to see what DC's version of Killer Croc (if they do one), with the pieces they have like the heads from Legends of Chima it should be better.

Edited by Jackattack7

One of the reasons why I like the newer line is because if the more colorful, more comic- feel of the sets. I prefer the roots of superheroes instead of dark, über-realistic tones (I'm not just talking color). Heck, I was hoping for a green or purple-suited Catwoman, but I'm sure that would have freaked out people worse than Two-Face.